Expendables Marathon

Jeb48

My wife is off to a 4 day quilting retreat so I get to watch all the movies she doesn't like.

I had all 3 Expendables movies on the DVR so did a marathon, watching all 3. I saw them all before but not for awhile and not in one continuous showing. Lots of action, don't worry about reality movies. Only saw them reload a couple of times in 5+ hours of near non stop action. They didn't run out of ammo much more often. Good clean fun 😁. Expendables 4 is expected this year.

Was on the laptop while watching so I brought up the firearms movie database  http://www.imfdb.org to look a few guns up that were particularly interesting. There were pages and pages of different weapons used in those movies. The two that I wanted to read more on was the Auto Assault-12 (AA-12) and the M134 Minigun. The AA-12 I wasn't familiar with, interesting gun and made just down the road from me in Piney Flats. Says it was built to only need cleaning every 10,000 rounds, which at 300 rounds/minute is not a long time I guess. The M134, once I looked it up, I had read about before. They were more realistic on how long a load last in the M134, 10 seconds at 3000 rounds/minute.

Two more nights of violent TV then the wife gets home. 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, TomInMN said:

If you can track down The Way Of The Gun, that's pretty fun too. Benecio Del Toro and Ryan Phillipe, James Can and some others I recognize but can't name.

Geoffrey Lewis (you'll recognize him from a dozen Clint Eastwood movies) and his daughter Juliette Lewis, Taye Diggs in one of his earliest (maybe his first) major roles, and Scott Wilson (famous for In Cold Blood, the Walking Dead, and plenty of other character roles).  This movie is an undiscovered gem, with surprisingly decent tactical movement and gun handling.

6 minutes ago, Whisper said:

This movie is an undiscovered gem, with surprisingly decent tactical movement and gun handling.

One shot at the end kinda surprised me. I clenched hard like I was going to lose my lunch.

So I knew it was worth watching again. 😀

The Way Of The Gun, looks interesting I added it to my list.

Continued my, "no wife at home", watch list tonight with a Netflix original Polar. High body count by mostly one person. still very unbelievable action but a fun watch. Bailed on the double feature about 20 minutes in, Doom, just wasn't doing it for me.

The Way of the Gun and Polar are now in my sights for a weekend movie night. Don't think I've seen either one.

Doom...Yeah, even a sy-fy fanatic like me got a little put off by it. Especially the so called "Director's Cut".

I understand that cursing has become a mainstay in everyday life and language, but that doesn't mean it should be every other word. Nor be a given in every movie we see these days. 

Now on the Expendables, liked the first. But they went downhill quickly from there...jmo.

Edited by hipower
  • Moderators
On 3/19/2019 at 10:55 PM, Jeb48 said:

My wife is off to a 4 day quilting retreat so I get to watch all the movies she doesn't like.

I had all 3 Expendables movies on the DVR so did a marathon, watching all 3. I saw them all before but not for awhile and not in one continuous showing. Lots of action, don't worry about reality movies. Only saw them reload a couple of times in 5+ hours of near non stop action. They didn't run out of ammo much more often. Good clean fun 😁. Expendables 4 is expected this year.

Was on the laptop while watching so I brought up the firearms movie database  http://www.imfdb.org to look a few guns up that were particularly interesting. There were pages and pages of different weapons used in those movies. The two that I wanted to read more on was the Auto Assault-12 (AA-12) and the M134 Minigun. The AA-12 I wasn't familiar with, interesting gun and made just down the road from me in Piney Flats. Says it was built to only need cleaning every 10,000 rounds, which at 300 rounds/minute is not a long time I guess. The M134, once I looked it up, I had read about before. They were more realistic on how long a load last in the M134, 10 seconds at 3000 rounds/minute.

Two more nights of violent TV then the wife gets home. 

mqdefault.jpg

Don't get me started there. lol I have a whole wall section of my office bookcase devoted to "superhero" movies.  Marvel and DC. Another to syfy. My wife just shakes her head when she comes in.

But it's only fair...another section is for her John Wayne and all other westerns.

But we cannot discuss the top shelf...All the Arnold movies!

Edited by hipower
  • Like 1

She had a great time, finished a bunch of lap quilts (I think she said 6) she had partially done (she makes them for several charities). Already has next year on the calendar. I think she said there were 28 women sewing away. One nights they went till midnight and 11pm the other 2 nights.

9 hours ago, Jeb48 said:

She had a great time, finished a bunch of lap quilts (I think she said 6) she had partially done (she makes them for several charities). Already has next year on the calendar. I think she said there were 28 women sewing away. One nights they went till midnight and 11pm the other 2 nights.

Wow, cool!

I used to work with a woman who was very into quilting and sewing, that was my first exposure to it beyond simply seeing my Grandma's handiwork.

It's not something I'm likely to jump into any time soon, but between the stuff (supplies and equipment and whatnot) the camaraderie and the actual work product, I can definitely see the appeal.

Her hobby helps fund mine. I don't question what she buys and she doesn't question what I buy. Since we are both cheap it works. If we weren't we would run out of money pretty quick.

• Like 1