Single stack or subcompact?

Bubba8806

Hey guys so I’m kinda in a dilemma here. I normally carry a Glock 19 as my EDC. I’m a big guy at 6’6”. I have no problem concealing my Glock with everyday clothes. The only time I have a trouble is when I wear church clothes or like dress clothes. I was looking at getting like a subcompact or single stack to help this out. What do you guys recommend for this type of application. By the way I had a Glock 43 but hated it as I have big hands and kept getting slide bite. So I sold it and got my Glock 19. Let me know what you guys think would get and why. Thanks! 

There is no problem carrying a gun like a Glock 19 in dress clothes.  It's especially easy for a guy your size.  Get some good advice on holster selection and on where you carry the gun.  Try out different holsters (maybe you have Glock-carrying friends that will let you try out theirs).   If you're in a church where people do a lot of hugging, be aware that this could affect where you place your holster. 

Now, if you are just wanting an excuse to buy a subcompact, that's a different story.  Walther PPS, S&W M&P Shield, Sig P365 all are fine choices.

Cheers,

Whisper

• Like 2

The problem I have found with most sub-compact handguns is that the grips are too small for my hands. Especially in the grip length. I also owned a G-43 and it was difficult to get a quick draw and get a fast purchase because of its size. The P365 and P938 gave me similar issues. For me, the G-43X is a good fit, as well as, the XDS Mod 2 45 acp with the extended grip. Wish you the best on your hunt.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Whisper said:

There is no problem carrying a gun like a Glock 19 in dress clothes.  It's especially easy for a guy your size.  Get some good advice on holster selection and on where you carry the gun.  Try out different holsters (maybe you have Glock-carrying friends that will let you try out theirs).   If you're in a church where people do a lot of hugging, be aware that this could affect where you place your holster. 

Now, if you are just wanting an excuse to buy a subcompact, that's a different story.  Walther PPS, S&W M&P Shield, Sig P365 all are fine choices.

Cheers,

Whisper

That’s what I told the wife so I won’t have to explain the reason for the new gun lol! Really though our church is very old school traditional and it makes the older ones uneasy when they see me bend over to pick my son up and my Glock is showing. So I figured if I got something smaller and more concealable then it wouldn’t bother them as much. I normally carry my Glock in either a IWB holster or a IWB holster depending on clothes and I carry in the 3-5 o’clock position 

I didn't like the 43 either.  My point of aim was different, it was snappy, and it was just a little too slim.

Where are you having issues concealing?  With Glocks, I go between the 19 and 26.  I find the "bobtail" of the 19 is where I print the most (albeit rarely), so the Pearce +0 pinky extension gives me the same grip on a G26.  I use a G-Code IWB holster.

My EDC is a double stack Wilson Combat EDC X9.  I also briefly tried carrying a commander 1911.  I didn't see a major difference in width as far as concealment, but everyone is different.  I'm actually carrying an EDC X9 and a G26 right now with a t-shirt and I'm not printing at all.

3 hours ago, Bubba8806 said:

the older ones uneasy when they see me bend over to pick my son up and my Glock is showing

Add a sport coat. I'd suggest a pattern (box plaid, hounds tooth, etc) vs. a solid color.

Recently switched to 9oclock OWB, easy to ensure my jacket is always positioned for concealment in all situations.

2 minutes ago, A.J. Holst said:

Add a sport coat. I'd suggest a pattern (box plaid, hounds tooth, etc) vs. a solid color.

Recently switched to 9oclock OWB, easy to ensure my jacket is always positioned for concealment in all situations.

I was thinking the hounds tooth would look nice! lol Seriously thats not a bad idea though. 

Check out the Glock 48, I think you will like it.

I'm a big P365 fan but if you don't like a 43  you won't like it either.

I hate short, chunky  guns (G26 would be an example) so for me a subcompact has to be single stack.

Just handled a SA EMP4  and man it was oh so sweet!

3 hours ago, NickinTN said:

Check out the Glock 48, I think you will like it.

I'm a big P365 fan but if you don't like a 43  you won't like it either.

I hate short, chunky  guns (G26 would be an example) so for me a subcompact has to be single stack.

Just handled a SA EMP4  and man it was oh so sweet!

I have been looking at the compact 1911’s and I really like them. That SA range officer lightweight compact is nice! 

11 hours ago, Bubba8806 said:

I have been looking at the compact 1911’s and I really like them. That SA range officer lightweight compact is nice! 

The Range Officer Compact is a nice size.  Mine has had frequent use as I've started carrying 9mm more often.

2 hours ago, tnhawk said:

The Range Officer Compact is a nice size.  Mine has had frequent use as I've started carrying 9mm more often.

Can't believe I'm about to say this, since I'm such a fan of compact size pistols. I found the RO Compact just a bit awkward and small for me. I just couldn't get comfortable with it.

Of course this was just a shop handle and drool testing. lol

Like asu174, I do find the RO Elite Champion 9 to be much more to my tastes. jmo

I have found that the 1911 frame and I are becoming good friends, especially in 9mm. I find it much more controllable and thereby more fun to shoot, than other pistols. But I'm just wimpy...can't handle the big boy calibers anymore. lol

Edited by hipower
  • Like 1

Well, I'm 6'4" and 280, so I figure I'm close in size.  My first handgun was an xD45 purchased 12-13 years ago while doing a LOT of motorcycle riding in Arizona.  Carried in an OWB CQB (I think) retention holster.  Since moving to MA (10 years ago, escaping to TN in 6 months) I have purchased and carried several guns.  I first carried a Kahr k40, then an S&W Chief Special 45, then an e-Series 1911, followed by my current EDC, an xD45 mod.2 which I carry at about 3 o'clock IWB in a Crossbreed SuperTuck.  There was also briefly a Shield in 9mm but I didn't like it much, even though it concealed well IWB at 4 o'colck.  Big fan of Crossbreeds, have several for several firearms.

OP, I think you'd like the double-stack the Springfield provides, and the "Grip Zone" does allow a more confident draw.  I carry mine 9+1 with multiple spares.  One nice thing is that like Glock, pretty much all Springfields break down the same way and have the same controls.  they're actually easier to disassemble.  I have 4 between Lady Radtekk and I, and she has a G26, so I have plenty of practice with both.  I don't have a problem with Glock, just found I liked Springfields and stayed with them.  Also, the standard size xD45 13 round magazine fits in the Mod.2 although since it's longer it does look weird.  I wouldn't carry that way, but it is nice.

If I was down there I'd invite you to try them out and see, but house-hunting trip is this weekend and that's a few too many to travel with, TSA gets weird when you have a suitcase full of handguns.  

Just my .02 for what it's worth.  

10 hours ago, Radtekk said:

Well, I'm 6'4" and 280, so I figure I'm close in size.  My first handgun was an xD45 purchased 12-13 years ago while doing a LOT of motorcycle riding in Arizona.  Carried in an OWB CQB (I think) retention holster.  Since moving to MA (10 years ago, escaping to TN in 6 months) I have purchased and carried several guns.  I first carried a Kahr k40, then an S&W Chief Special 45, then an e-Series 1911, followed by my current EDC, an xD45 mod.2 which I carry at about 3 o'clock IWB in a Crossbreed SuperTuck.  There was also briefly a Shield in 9mm but I didn't like it much, even though it concealed well IWB at 4 o'colck.  Big fan of Crossbreeds, have several for several firearms.

OP, I think you'd like the double-stack the Springfield provides, and the "Grip Zone" does allow a more confident draw.  I carry mine 9+1 with multiple spares.  One nice thing is that like Glock, pretty much all Springfields break down the same way and have the same controls.  they're actually easier to disassemble.  I have 4 between Lady Radtekk and I, and she has a G26, so I have plenty of practice with both.  I don't have a problem with Glock, just found I liked Springfields and stayed with them.  Also, the standard size xD45 13 round magazine fits in the Mod.2 although since it's longer it does look weird.  I wouldn't carry that way, but it is nice.

If I was down there I'd invite you to try them out and see, but house-hunting trip is this weekend and that's a few too many to travel with, TSA gets weird when you have a suitcase full of handguns.  

Just my .02 for what it's worth.  

I have recently bought a Sig P938 and I have come to find out that my big bear paws really dont like the small pistols like that. I love my glock 19 and although i love how the Sig P938 shoots I think my shooting style is more suited for a striker fired pistol. I also think i would like to have something along the lines of the glock 26 or something like that.

On 3/29/2019 at 8:59 AM, Bubba8806 said:

I have recently bought a Sig P938 and I have come to find out that my big bear paws really dont like the small pistols like that. I love my glock 19 and although i love how the Sig P938 shoots I think my shooting style is more suited for a striker fired pistol. I also think i would like to have something along the lines of the glock 26 or something like that.

Depends on yer paws:) Lady Radtekk went from a Mustang 380 (, single stack, first carry) to the G26 to a Shield 9 to her current xDs. She prefers the single stack for hand fit, although she also likes my full size xD45 more than my e-Series 1911. Lol... 

If you like the G26 I'd try the double stacks in any brand first. What I know about Sig firearms is "S-I-G". Never fired or even fondled one. Probably should. But grip size and angle and a few other things are very much "Just because I like it doesn't mean you will" kinda stuff.

And then there's the whole striker vs hammer and pistol vs revolver and 9mm vs 45 set of debates...

Best answer? Bigger safe, more guns:cheers:

I started shooting again a little less than 2 years ago and have gone though a whole range of pistols to get what I consider to be the best daily carry solution for me.  I started off with a Glock 19/23,  briefly went to a S&W Shield, changed to a Glock 26, and now carry a Sig P365 with a the 12-round mag.  I don't like the feel with the 10-round mag.  I'm still slightly more accurate with the Glocks as I've only put about 2000 rounds through the P365 so far. 

• Like 1
11 hours ago, billmeek said:

I started off with a Glock 19/23,  briefly went to a S&W Shield, changed to a Glock 26, and now carry a Sig P365 with a the 12-round mag.  I don't like the feel with the 10-round mag.  I'm still slightly more accurate with the Glocks as I've only put about 2000 rounds through the P365 so far. 

I agree that the 12-round mag is The Stuff for the P365.  With the 10-round mag, I found the gun uncomfortably small, and I initially dismissed it from consideration. But then later on I got clued in on the 12-rounder, and I was pleasantly surprised by how much better it made the gun handle.  For me, the 12-round mag transforms the P365 from something that's unusable to my favorite hideout heater.