Send to Kimber or go local

I have a Kimber Eclipse Ultra II that is having FTE issues. Mine was manufactured in 2004 and has the external extractor, which I have read was the issue. Other Kimber owners that have shipped it in for repair got a new slide with an internal extractor replaced for free, even out of warranty.

I emailed them Monday and was told their gunsmith will determine if it's a defect in manufacturing, it would be fixed for no charge, but if not, they'd quote me a price to repair it.

My question is if I should send in a 15 year old gun hoping for the free repair, or just go to a local shop? Do any of you have experience dealing with Kimber and/or have an idea if their repair cost is in line with what I'd pay someone local?

52 minutes ago, Whisper said:

My vote:  Send it in.  Don't trust a local gunsmith to fix a problem with an extraction system that even the manufacturer couldn't get to work properly.

Cheers,

Whisper

That's what I was thinking. I don't mind spending a little to have them refurbish it, but they should replace the slide with the internal extractor at no cost, but we will see I guess.

9 hours ago, krunchnik said:

I also vote for sending it in-you more than likely will get a new slide and barrel-which pretty much makes the pistol like new.

I hope you're correct. I have heard they do this because the external extractor was poorly designed on them. I'm just waiting for them to email me back an rma number, but it's been 2 days, so I am going to call them this morning.

An update:

They want me to ship it to them at my expense next day air. So around $100 to get it to them.

Then they will go through the gun for $225 and replace the slide with a new, fitted slide and ship it back for free.

Now to decide if it's worth $325+/-, or just trade it in on another gun and be done with it. Suggestions?

12 minutes ago, xecutech said:

Now to decide if it's worth $325+/-, or just trade it in on another gun and be done with it. Suggestions?

Ouch! Thank you for the update. Finding a good local 'smith to sort it out for you isn't an option?

I've been circling a K6s, but this isn't reassuring...

5 minutes ago, xecutech said:

It is now! lol

My limited experience with gunsmiths is that they typically aren't all that reliable or charge as much or more for less work.  I would just send it to Kimber...maybe if you gripe a bit more you can at least get them to get you the UPS or Fedex label included to ship it to them or at the very very least at their cost which should be half of what your paying to ship.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, xecutech said:

An update:

They want me to ship it to them at my expense next day air. So around $100 to get it to them.

I missed this before, can't you ship from an FFL holder and get around the next-day air fees?

As was mentioned before, I'd definitely try to work them some more to see if they'll cover shipping. Polite but persistent can pay off.

• Like 1

I talked to Kimber yesterday and they gave me an RMA to return it. For $170 they will completely tear the gun down, clean it, replace all the springs and fit a new slide for it. I feel like that's a fair price for a gun out of warranty. The nice thing is I was told the gun would have a new warranty after their work is done. They will ship it back for free.

The company I work for has a UPS with negotiated, discount rates, and I can get it over nighted cheaper than if I go to UPS.

I will ship it Monday and will follow up with the results. Thanks for the feedback.

• Like 2
On ‎3‎/‎29‎/‎2019 at 2:43 AM, xecutech said:

I talked to Kimber yesterday and they gave me an RMA to return it. For $170 they will completely tear the gun down, clean it, replace all the springs and fit a new slide for it. I feel like that's a fair price for a gun out of warranty. The nice thing is I was told the gun would have a new warranty after their work is done. They will ship it back for free.

Since they seem to be pushing the "rebuild" option, does that mean that replacing the slide for fee, if defective, is no longer a possibility?

On 3/30/2019 at 12:57 PM, Trekbike said:

Since they seem to be pushing the "rebuild" option, does that mean that replacing the slide for fee, if defective, is no longer a possibility?

They wouldn't admit it to be defective. They offered to replace the slide for free as part of the paid rebuild. My options when I called was a new slide for $499 or a free slide with the $170 service, so it was a no brainer. 

• Like 2
4 hours ago, xecutech said:

They wouldn't admit it to be defective. They offered to replace the slide for free as part of the paid rebuild. My options when I called was a new slide for $499 or a free slide with the $170 service, so it was a no brainer. 

nice way for them to take care of their customers without opening themselves up to admitting faulty slides...I don't blame them and $170 is a very fair deal for a gun that old.

• Like 2
8 hours ago, Fourtyfive said:

Too scared to ever buy a Kimber, seen a few I have wanted.

I had heard some negative things about them, but it was a $1200 gun I scored for $600. The guy didn't tell me about the fte issues, but he didn't know Kimber would fix it, so it worked out I hope. lol

• Like 1