I'll be there soon, escaping MA

Hi! I'll add more later, but the short story is my wife and I will be moving to the Knoxville area in a few months. Curious about gun laws. We're buying property, probably 10+ acres. What are the rules/laws about a range on my property? Setback from property lines, berm height, signage, shooting hours, etc. Nothing special, no NFA stuff, handgun, AR, AK, hunting rifle, shotgun. No kids involved. Nothing really farther than 2-300 yards.

These rules will impact the property I buy so kinda need to know馃構

47 minutes ago, Radtekk said:

What are the rules/laws about a range on my property?

Welcome!

As I've found here in the Cookeville area it's ok outside City limits and you sound like you're looking for all the right features in a property but.....

TN is growing fast by leaps and bounds, with subdivisions popping up all over. 10 acres you buy today might be fine untill the neighbor sells out and houses start going up in a couple of years!

I'd buy as much land and as Far out as I could tolorate if it was me. I'm kinda new here to TN myself and this is a subject I'm interested in so I'll be watching to see what the locale Knoxville folks say.

Good luck with the move.

• Like 2

I live outside the city limits of Columbia. The rules are: My land = my rules. I shoot when ever I want and nothing much can be said about it. I however am not an A-hole. I try to be curious to my neighbors. This essentially means suppressors for as many guns as possible.聽

• Like 2
  • Moderators

聽I鈥檝e got some very good news for you. As long as you鈥檙e buying outside of the city limits and you can set up a safe direction for a range, you鈥檙e pretty much golden. 聽Lucky for us, and you, this聽state isn鈥檛聽run by massholes who like to overregulate everything and everybody. Set up your home range in a safe and reasonable manner, like not having your neighbor鈥檚 house being your backstop鈥檚 backstop, and聽as long as you鈥檙e respectful of your neighbors, you shouldn鈥檛 have any trouble whatsoever. Oldnewbie and alleycat are spot on with their advice聽as well.

Edited by Chucktshoes
  • Like 1

I found a place that backed up to a National Forest on one side and lots of space in the other 3 directions. I shoot off my back deck into the hillside that slopes up to the National Forest. I don't have anything as ambitious as 300 yards but I can't hit much beyond 50 yards anyway. I have neighbors but lucked out that on my 1/2 mile dead end road everyone owns guns and at least 4聽others have ranges setup or are setting them up. I try to keep the shooting of the really loud stuff to just once in awhile. I have asked some of the closer neighbors and they say the rest of my shooting they don't even notice. One neighbor has a 300 yard range setup and I have been invited to shoot on it but haven't yet. He has been up and shot on my shorter range with his handguns.

Just follow standard safety rules setting up your range and you will be fine.

Appreciate all the info to date:)聽 We are making a trip down in 10 days (3/31-4/2) to look at a property and probably put in an offer.聽 20+ acres, NOT in Metro-Knoxville, almost completely wooded, probably less than an acre of "not trees".聽 I don't want to shovel, sure as #### I don't want to mow either:)聽 The short term plan is "off the deck" shooting, slowly cut a longer swath.聽 I'm dead nutz on at 100 yards with a few rifles, my 55 year old eyes require good glass though.聽 My guess is I'd probably cut 50 yards the 1st year, then add 50 a year until I'm out to 300.聽 Just so long as I can get M.O.B.H. at 100+ I'm happy:)

IDGAF if somebody wants to walk, hike, or bike across my land, my ONLY issue is if I'm out shooting and somebody appears downrange just as I squeeze.聽 So wondering what signage is appropriate.聽 If a neighbor happens to take a deer 50 feet inside my line, so long as they don't leave a steaming pile behind all I want is a steak or two when they dress it:)

As to the neighbors, if they hear gunfire, they're welcome to bring guns, pizza and soda.聽 Beer and steaks after shooting are on me:)聽 And by neighbors I mean pretty much anybody that appreciates the moldy old document the Founders came up with a few years back:cheers: Liberals and snowflakes need not apply.

Edited by Radtekk
  • Like 2
On 3/20/2019 at 9:18 PM, Radtekk said:

Liberals and snowflakes need not apply.

Our only hope, (our kids and grandkids that is), Is converting these Prog types to our way of thinking. On the 2nd A at least. Best way to do that IMHO is an invite to your range. Easier said than done I know.....I had to leave Oregon to get away from them. Of course here they aren't as rude and vocal in their ideology,,,,,......YET!!!

• 2 weeks later...

Well, flight leaves 7am tomorrow. Packed, bags in the trunk, ready to go. Set up with the realtor to look at 4 properties in 2 1/2 days, should be fun! More looking since my original post, found a few more. The lead contender is 30+ acres 40 minutes outside town, appointment set for 10am Monday, can't wait!

We're stating at Comfort Inn Suites across from the airport. Where's the best barbecue near there?聽

1 hour ago, Chucktshoes said:

Yeah, nope. I鈥檝e not had Carolina BBQ yet that wasn鈥檛 a crime against the poor pig that died聽to make it.聽

I have had decent over there. I forget where. I agree that it's hard to beat Memphis. A friend of mine shot a picture of his lunch at the Barbecue Shop last week. Inspired me to go on a hunt for some around here. I wound up real disappointed.

• Like 1
6 hours ago, Chucktshoes said:

The BBQ Shop is my favorite BBQ in the city, and that means聽it鈥檚 my favorite on the planet.聽

It was mine too when I was hanging there. We hit the Neeley's places a lot too. I understand they're gone now. We had one of those in Nashville.

• 2 weeks later...

A little update... The realtor we were working with recommended Sweet P's, which turned out to be pretty good. We got out official welcome to Tennessee when we were there. Gazing at the menu when a woman walked in behind us. Since we knew it would take a few minutes my wife and I encouraged her to order, telling her "It's our first time here, we're on a house hunting trip, moving down here soon." she welcomed us, thanked us, ordered her food, and moved on. We ordered ours, went to pay, and the kid at the register said "The lady in front of you took care of your dinner, she said to welcome you to Tennessee." Could have knocked me over with a feather. And she was already gone since her order was to go, so I couldn't even properly thank her. Some friendly folks down there, can't wait to be one of them. We'll be back for a week in June, guess where we'll be eating again...聽

So, after we got back (not home, my heart is already moved) we did a little back and forth, and bought a house. Needs a little work (kitchen floor and bathroom renovation) but a heck of a piece of land and damn good price. We're going to be in Jefferson City, a couple of miles out of town. We close in July. When we're back in June we plan to meet with contractors for the needed repairs. If anybody has a recommendation for people for the work I mentioned, I'd love to hear them. Once we move in late September it'll be time to dig out a 50 yard range to start, pics will be posted and invites sent馃榿

Great welcome. Our verification that we were not in the NE anymore聽(we moved from Western NY)聽was when we were down to close on our place. We were looking for a place to eat in the evening and I almost cut off a car with my F250. It was a double turn lane and the woman pulled up on the passenger side and motioned my wife to roll down the window. In聽NY we would probably have not聽made eye contact, but my rolled down the window intending to apologize, and the lady said, honey do you need to get聽over, I'll wait聽for聽you, it can be rough getting through traffic in a聽strange city. That and the first gun shop I stopped in and said I was just looking since we hadn't moved yet, he asked where we were moving from and he welcomed us to America.聽

You will love East TN.