Remington tac-14

AFgixxerTN

I’ve been really liking the looks of this “truckgun.” 

However, I have never fired a shotgun before even full length. Do you think the 12ga is a bit much in this configuration or should I go with the .20ga? Is the 20gauge still devastating in self defense?

Would there be anyone near Chattanooga who might have one and let me shoot it? 

Thanks for the advice!

12 gauge in that configuration is quite controllable unless you are a little old lady or have some kind of severe arthritis.

Remington is now making the V3 version which is a gas-operated semi which reduces recoil and holds an extra round.

I have a Mossburg Shockwave in 12 ga. and it is very manageable with 2 3/4" shells. It is not fun at all with 3" shells. Like Garufa posted, the Remington Tac 14 is V3 auto version, different ports are opened or closed depending on the length of shells you choose making it much more manageable with 3" shells. I would love to own one.

10 hours ago, Garufa said:

12 gauge in that configuration is quite controllable unless you are a little old lady or have some kind of severe arthritis.

Remington is now making the V3 version which is a gas-operated semi which reduces recoil and holds an extra round.

That’s interesting. A lot of YouTub reviews said the .20ga is much more fun to shoot 

9 hours ago, WFM said:

I have a Mossburg Shockwave in 12 ga. and it is very manageable with 2 3/4" shells. It is not fun at all with 3" shells. Like Garufa posted, the Remington Tac 14 is V3 auto version, different ports are opened or closed depending on the length of shells you choose making it much more manageable with 3" shells. I would love to own one.

Yeah I looked at the tac-13 and it’s very nice but it’s also $650-800. The tac-14 is around 280-400. Plus I like the magpul forend. 

For shells I planned on using pdx1 in 2 3/4 shells. I hear they are good ammo plus I like the all black shells in a gg&g side saddle. 

1 hour ago, AFgixxerTN said:

That’s interesting. A lot of YouTub reviews said the .20ga is much more fun to shoot 

The 12ga can be quite controllable while the 20ga is still much more fun to shoot.

In terms of defensive capability, 20ga slugs have about double the energy of a 44mag. It that (or a different 20ga load) is sufficient for your purposes, whichever one you'll practice more with is likely the better choice. Maybe the 20 is more fun to shoot, the 12 might be cheaper.

52 minutes ago, AFgixxerTN said:

Are the pdx-1 hard kicking loads?

Go buy a couple boxes, rent both gauges and see.

I'm not trying to be a smart alec, that's really the only way you'll find out which (if either) works for you.

And watch the muzzle. Don't shoot your fingers off.

• Like 1
5 hours ago, AFgixxerTN said:

I didn’t know you can rent them.  I’ve seen them go very cheap used on gunbroker. 

You might have to call around a bit, but it's worth the effort.

If you're able, another option would be to buy one used and then sell it if you don't like it. Depending on how much a rental costs, that might be worth doing so that you can shoot it a few times.

Bud's has them right now for $323, but they have the Mossberg 590 Shockwave for $297.  And Smoky Mountain Gun Works (also in Sevierville) has the Shockwave for $279.

https://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/cPath/2084_37_64_991/products_id/36688/Firearms/Shotguns/Remington/Pump+Action+Shotguns/Remington+870+Tac-14+Pump+12+Gauge+14+4%2B1+Black+Synthetic

https://www.smga.com/mossberg/590-shockwave-12ga-14-bbl-6rd-142

You can get an adapter for the Mossberg that will allow you to shot the Aquilla Mini shells ( Buck of Slugs).  That will increase the capacity to 10 in the mag.  

http://www.opsolmini-clip.com/

Here are the Mini shells

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/2506162922/aguila-minishell-ammunition-12-gauge-1-3-4-4-and-1-buckshot-11-pellets