1911 Information

A516

I am a primarily a shotgun/revolver shooter.  I would like any information and suggestions on buying a 1911 style pistol.  I haven't decided on a 9mm or a .45 auto.

I want a good, reliable pistol with a good trigger and adjustable sights.  My budget on this is $1,000 or less.  It will be used for shooting at the range primarily.

Thanks,

How far out are you going to be shooting, and will it be bulls eye shooting?  JMHO: For most purposes, if you have good 1911, especially in 9mm, adjustable sites are completely unnecessary at less than 50 yards.  Think about a Dan Wesson Vigil, for instance.  You can get a DW for very close to $1k.  Disclaimer: While I don't shill for DW, I have owned some (but they got lost in the same boating accident that other guy had.)  STI is a great gun, but more $$$.

If you are truly going to get into bulls eye competition, you should get a custom gun, but you are talking big bucks.

1 hour ago, A516 said:

Not going to get into serious shooting.  Just want a good 1911 to informally shoot.

Springfield has a lot of good options, a was mentioned. I'd also encourage you to check out Rock Island Armory and Citadel, and spend the balance of your budget either on customization (after you've shot it enough to know what you want to change, and why) or on ammo.

Feeding a 9mm is generally cheaper than a .45acp and the power to weight ratio makes shooting a steel 9mm very pleasant.

Edited by TomInMN
My fat fingers and poor proofreading.
  • Like 3
4 hours ago, A516 said:

I want a good, reliable pistol with a good trigger and adjustable sights.  My budget on this is $1,000 or less.  It will be used for shooting at the range primarily.

Thanks,

Since we are talking a range gun I assume you want a full size and not a commander or smaller size. 

All steel or is aluminum framed an option ? 

Awesome platform with a wide variety to choose from especially with a realistic budget

I have been blessed to have owned quite a few 1911s, both in 9mm and 45acp over my shooting years. From RIA to DW, and quite a few in between. Rarely have I ever spent over 1000 on any of them. The lowest price was the RIA. Had about 300 in it. A DW Valor, A Springfield TRP, both in 45; and a Springer Loaded RO Champion in 9mm being those over that price point. The Dan Wesson and the TRP were the highest. Both came in at about 1400.

I can honestly say I have enjoyed each and every one of them. Just wish I could have kept all of them.

Personally, I favor the 9mm versions. With all of my shooting being strictly range/recreational, I have come to favor the RIA and the Springfield RO the most. Not saying that any of the others are not the equal of these, just for personal choices, these are mine.

For me, and my abilities, any of them will do far better than I can shoot. So I can't really say that the TRP was worth almost 5 times more than the Rock, except in show and tell and bragging rights.

My advice... pick a shop/shops that have rentals and give as many of your choices as you can a try.

I'm sure you'll find that one in all the makers, in either caliber, will stand out for you.

FWIW, my RIA was a GI/base model. Changed the sights on it and it's been great. Bangs every time. The RO has all the bells and whistles I wanted, and really more than I need.

Neither is a standout to me. RIA for fun. The RO is to impress at the range. lol

Good luck in your search and have a boatload of fun while doing it.

Edited by hipower
  • Moderators

What about a Springfield Loaded? I think it checks all the boxes while avoiding some of the less necessary ones like adjustable sights*. Plus, even though it’s going to be a range gun, it’ll more than serve as a carry gun if the OP gets the hankering. Also, I think they are a rare thing in that they are correctly priced for the features they offer instead of being vastly overpriced like a lot of mid to upper-mid range 1911s. 

*I just reread the OP, and had forgotten the adjustable sights were a requested option. The Springer RO is totally the gun that fits the bill. 

Edited by Chucktshoes

Check out Colts at SMGA.com aka Smoky Mountain Knife Works. Plenty under $1k

I've owned several Colts and they've all ran 100% and been dead accurate. 

I picked up a Lightweight commander in 45 for $750 new.  According to Colt it's a blemmish but I can't find a flaw anywhere. Shoots as good as my all stainless XSE commander which is a tack driver.

Edited by hornett22
Spelling

It should be mentioned that once you start shooting a 1911, you will likely become addicted to them.  Often the result is a safe shelf filled with different calibers and sizes of the 1911.  You should probably look for a full size model.  It gives me pain to say it but a 9 mm is less expensive to shoot than a 45 acp or 10 mm.  Colt, Rock Island, Kimber, Ruger, Dan Wesson are well built, accurate pistols.  However Springfield Armory is an excellent choice due to models available and excellent customer service/warranty should they be needed.  There are few bad choices in the 1911.  I have several other pistols but none is more enjoyable or dependable than a good 1911.

• Like 1

I have owned most of the main brands of 1911’s other than the imports. Some things I would recommend:

1. Since it’s a range gun, full size and adjustable sights are a must. Either buy one that has them or plan on adding them.

2. Since it’s your first 1911; buy new. 1911’s are great firearms but they are drama queens. They require cleaning and lube…period. If you get one Bubba has been in; you could have problems. If you have issues you need to be clear on the history.

The sights and barrels on semi-autos move independently of each other. So on target guns, 1911’s run tight tolerances on the barrel bushings and slides so they repeat to the same position. They have to be clean and lubed to do that.

3. Go with .45. It is the round a 1911 was designed around. It’s a big heavy slide and needs that power to operate properly; 9mm is not reliable. If you want that type gun in 9mm; buy a Browning Hi Power (You will be much happier)

4. Your $1000 budget will allow you to get a high quality 1911. Smith & Wesson, Kimber, Springfield, Dan Wesson, Ruger all have quality offerings. Pick any one of those names and you will hear both good and bad.

My recommendation would be a Smith & Wesson SW1911. I see that they no longer show anything with adjustable sights on their website other than the “Performance Center”. It appears to me they are playing fast and loose with the Performance Center name now. So I don’t know it would be worth the extra money. I bought an M&P that was supposed to be a Performance Center gun. My feelings are that if it was ever in the Performance center it was just on a cart passing through. That was my one bad experience with Smith & Wesson in over 40 years and over 100 guns; but they never made it right.  There are still some models available on the web that have target sights. Like S&W 108284.

Kimber would be my second choice. I have never had a bad Kimber.

For me; guns come and go, so I try what I want. If I don’t like it or want something else I move on.

Wanting a 1911 for the range and not wanting to carry that big heavy brick will make you a happy 1911 guy. :)

Good luck with your search.

Rural King has good prices on a lot of different brands of 45 acp pistols. Can check them out on line at RK Guns.  If you want to shoot a lot without breaking the bank, 45Acp is easy to reload for. For what it's worth, never met a 1911 in 45acp that I didn't like, but I prefer the GI model because that was the standard issue when in the Army, and it needs to be in 45 Acp caliber for me. 

I must admit that I had one 1911 pass through my hands a few years ago.  It was a Colt Delta Elite 10mm that I got from a friend who got in a bind while owning me money.  Nice pistol but I wasn't interested in a 10mm as a shooter.  Had the Colt gone over to make sure all springs, etc. were good shape by a gunsmith in Knoxville and gave it to my step-son.