1911 Information

A516

If you wanted a great lightweight one that is easy to carry, I have one of these and love it.

https://grabagun.com/s-w-1911sc-e-45acp-8rd-4-25-scd-blk.html

I have and approve of this as well....

https://www.sigsauer.com/store/1911-stx-full-size.html

And then there's this one....

https://www.sigsauer.com/store/1911-stainless-super-target-full-size.html

Edited by Fourtyfive
8 hours ago, gregintenn said:

My EMP agrees with Dave.

You told Springfield?

I've had two EMPs that would not run until after going back to Springfield.  This had nothing to do with 9mm and everything to do with tight chamber dimensions, for which Springfield 9mm 1911s are notorious.  All the obsession with fully supported chambers is silly, but whatever.  After Springfield opened up the chambers and cut the feed ramp slightly, they both ran like Glocks.  I bought the second EMP years later with the suspicion that it would end up back at Springfield.  Springfield customer service is great from my experience, but I don't understand why they don't properly cut the chamber before it leaves the factory.  

9mm 1911s can be more dramatic, but this is usually a magazine issue.  Dawson Precision or Chip McCormick mags usually solve the problem.  The EMPs use a proprietary mag, but as stated above, the magazine wasn't the problem.  

• Like 2
6 hours ago, Fourtyfive said:

If you wanted a great lightweight one that is easy to carry, I have one of these and love it.

https://grabagun.com/s-w-1911sc-e-45acp-8rd-4-25-scd-blk.html

I have and approve of this as well....

https://www.sigsauer.com/store/1911-stx-full-size.html

And then there's this one....

https://www.sigsauer.com/store/1911-stainless-super-target-full-size.html

Yes...I have lusted after that E Series Smith for a long while. Gorgeous pistol and shoots like a dream. Plus, the bobtail don't hurt it's looks!

• Thanks 1
On 3/24/2019 at 9:49 PM, deerslayer said:

You told Springfield?

I've had two EMPs that would not run until after going back to Springfield.  This had nothing to do with 9mm and everything to do with tight chamber dimensions, for which Springfield 9mm 1911s are notorious.  All the obsession with fully supported chambers is silly, but whatever.  After Springfield opened up the chambers and cut the feed ramp slightly, they both ran like Glocks.  I bought the second EMP years later with the suspicion that it would end up back at Springfield.  Springfield customer service is great from my experience, but I don't understand why they don't properly cut the chamber before it leaves the factory.  

9mm 1911s can be more dramatic, but this is usually a magazine issue.  Dawson Precision or Chip McCormick mags usually solve the problem.  The EMPs use a proprietary mag, but as stated above, the magazine wasn't the problem.  

But that’s my point. If I buy a quality gun from S&W, Ruger, Kimber, etc. and it doesn’t function properly out of the box after a thorough cleaning and lube; it goes back. I don’t buy into the “needs break-in” or mag issues. I use WWB as range ammo, that is a proven ammo in the low cost stuff and my guns need to work with it.

I had a shield that had problems out of the box. I read all the comments about mags, beak-in etc. I emailed S&W, they sent me a shipping label, the gun was fixed and returned; no more problems. I didn’t return the mags and they didn’t send me any back; mags had nothing to do with it.

Should I have had to send it back? Of course not. But guns are mechanically devices and they can have problems. My life can depend on my carry guns, so I’m not going to try to blame everything but the gun; I want the mfg to make it right.

Issues with 9mm and short barreled 1911’s are common. My comments were simply that for a new user a full size 1911 in .45ACP by a quality manufacturer should be accurate and trouble free.

I looked at a 9mm 1911 for a target gun simply because of ammo cost; knowing it could have problems that would need attention. But when I was looking they wanted more for a 9mm than a .45; that’s crazy. I’m not paying more because they sell less of them.

However, those were just my thoughts to a user who is new to the 1911 platform. I’m sure he will do his research on what is suggest here.

If you are only going to have one 1911, then get one with the prancing pony on the slide.  I bought a Colt 1911 about ten years ago for less than $700.  The first few magazines had some failures to eject but the next 1000 or so rounds have been flawless. 

NOTE: I am in no way an expert on 1911s.  I only own one and I wanted a Colt. 

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...

1911s are like rabbits, a lot of different sizes, colors, caliber, but they are all 1911s. They breed really fast. They are cute and cuddly and  that little voice in my head keeps saying got to have this one for a playmate to my others.

On 3/26/2019 at 8:15 AM, DaveTN said:

But that’s my point. If I buy a quality gun from S&W, Ruger, Kimber, etc. and it doesn’t function properly out of the box after a thorough cleaning and lube; it goes back. I don’t buy into the “needs break-in” or mag issues. I use WWB as range ammo, that is a proven ammo in the low cost stuff and my guns need to work with it.

I had a shield that had problems out of the box. I read all the comments about mags, beak-in etc. I emailed S&W, they sent me a shipping label, the gun was fixed and returned; no more problems. I didn’t return the mags and they didn’t send me any back; mags had nothing to do with it.

Should I have had to send it back? Of course not. But guns are mechanically devices and they can have problems. My life can depend on my carry guns, so I’m not going to try to blame everything but the gun; I want the mfg to make it right.

Issues with 9mm and short barreled 1911’s are common. My comments were simply that for a new user a full size 1911 in .45ACP by a quality manufacturer should be accurate and trouble free.

I looked at a 9mm 1911 for a target gun simply because of ammo cost; knowing it could have problems that would need attention. But when I was looking they wanted more for a 9mm than a .45; that’s crazy. I’m not paying more because they sell less of them.

However, those were just my thoughts to a user who is new to the 1911 platform. I’m sure he will do his research on what is suggest here.

I can assure you that a break-in period for most 1911s is real.  Every gun should run out of the box, but some don't at first and that's just reality.  So are magazine issues--especially with .40 or 9mm 1911s.  1911s were made for 1.25" cartridges.  9 and .40 are typically 1/8" shorter.  A spacer (about 1/8" thick) usually cures the issue.  The EMP is made for 9 and 40 length cartridges.  The two 1911s I've had the biggest issues with were .45s--one a bushing Colt and the other a bull barrel Kimber, both Commander sized guns.  The Kimber was a nightmare.  They shipped it with metal follower magazines that immediately started chewing up the aluminum frame below the feed ramp.  When the gun wasn't destroying itself, it wouldn't extract half the time.  The other half it wouldn't eject.  I don't miss that gun.

FWIW, my 9mm Trojan ran like a sewing machine in the pouring rain all day at the AR State IDPA championship Saturday.  Musta been them Dawson mags...

Edited by deerslayer
Guest BCR#1

Another +1 for a Springfield RO in .45 ACP. I started out shooting an informal bullseye pistol match every week with my Springfield Loaded model but I didn't like the fixed night sight or the dead center hold I was having to use just to be able to stay on the paper at 25 yards.

After trying out a loaner RO for a month of shooting, the owner sold me the pistol for $500.00 and with a 6 o'clock hold, I'm able to keep most of a 10 shot string in or very close to the black during a 90 round match and having to use at least two repair centers during each match.

A 200 grain LSWC backed by 6.5 grains of #5 and a Winchester LPP has worked well in both pistols.

Bill

Edited by BCR#1
  • 3 weeks later...

In my experience, adjustable sights are more necessary on 9mm 1911s than .45s.    Regulating point of impact for a 9mm is often not ideal out of the box on fixed sight 1911s and you will more often than not have it shooting low or high.

2 hours ago, ken_mays said:

In my experience, adjustable sights are more necessary on 9mm 1911s than .45s.    Regulating point of impact for a 9mm is often not ideal out of the box on fixed sight 1911s and you will more often than not have it shooting low or high.

I think that’s true of any semi auto regardless of caliber. I guess it depends on what the application of the gun is.

I've read all of these posts and also some other threads as well relating to 1911's.  I'm getting the itch to purchase my first 1911.  It will probably never be my EDC or sport a silencer.  It'll just be something to round out my collection and take to the range from time to time.

It seems the consensus is that any caliber other than the .45 God intended can be problematic.  That's disappointing to me as I wanted a 9mm platform to avoid stocking yet another caliber.  With all that said, what's the feedback on Remington R1 Enhanced Black 9mm 5-inch?  Currently  $560.

https://grabagun.com/remington-1911-r1-enchanced-9mm-9-1rd.html

For $1k I would suggest the Springfield MC Operator. Mine runs flawless and is by far my favorite handgun (emotionally). I carry Glocks though,  but would not hesitate to trust the MC Operator for duty as I did for a while. It's just so heavy and I'm to physically broke.