Jump to content
A516

1911 Information

Recommended Posts

If you wanted a great lightweight one that is easy to carry, I have one of these and love it.

https://grabagun.com/s-w-1911sc-e-45acp-8rd-4-25-scd-blk.html

I have and approve of this as well....

https://www.sigsauer.com/store/1911-stx-full-size.html

And then there's this one....

https://www.sigsauer.com/store/1911-stainless-super-target-full-size.html

Edited by Fourtyfive

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, gregintenn said:

My EMP agrees with Dave.

 

You told Springfield?

I've had two EMPs that would not run until after going back to Springfield.  This had nothing to do with 9mm and everything to do with tight chamber dimensions, for which Springfield 9mm 1911s are notorious.  All the obsession with fully supported chambers is silly, but whatever.  After Springfield opened up the chambers and cut the feed ramp slightly, they both ran like Glocks.  I bought the second EMP years later with the suspicion that it would end up back at Springfield.  Springfield customer service is great from my experience, but I don't understand why they don't properly cut the chamber before it leaves the factory.  

9mm 1911s can be more dramatic, but this is usually a magazine issue.  Dawson Precision or Chip McCormick mags usually solve the problem.  The EMPs use a proprietary mag, but as stated above, the magazine wasn't the problem.  

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Fourtyfive said:

If you wanted a great lightweight one that is easy to carry, I have one of these and love it.

https://grabagun.com/s-w-1911sc-e-45acp-8rd-4-25-scd-blk.html

I have and approve of this as well....

https://www.sigsauer.com/store/1911-stx-full-size.html

And then there's this one....

https://www.sigsauer.com/store/1911-stainless-super-target-full-size.html

Yes...I have lusted after that E Series Smith for a long while. Gorgeous pistol and shoots like a dream. Plus, the bobtail don't hurt it's looks!

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/24/2019 at 9:49 PM, deerslayer said:

 

You told Springfield?

I've had two EMPs that would not run until after going back to Springfield.  This had nothing to do with 9mm and everything to do with tight chamber dimensions, for which Springfield 9mm 1911s are notorious.  All the obsession with fully supported chambers is silly, but whatever.  After Springfield opened up the chambers and cut the feed ramp slightly, they both ran like Glocks.  I bought the second EMP years later with the suspicion that it would end up back at Springfield.  Springfield customer service is great from my experience, but I don't understand why they don't properly cut the chamber before it leaves the factory.  

9mm 1911s can be more dramatic, but this is usually a magazine issue.  Dawson Precision or Chip McCormick mags usually solve the problem.  The EMPs use a proprietary mag, but as stated above, the magazine wasn't the problem.  

But that’s my point. If I buy a quality gun from S&W, Ruger, Kimber, etc. and it doesn’t function properly out of the box after a thorough cleaning and lube; it goes back. I don’t buy into the “needs break-in” or mag issues. I use WWB as range ammo, that is a proven ammo in the low cost stuff and my guns need to work with it.

I had a shield that had problems out of the box. I read all the comments about mags, beak-in etc. I emailed S&W, they sent me a shipping label, the gun was fixed and returned; no more problems. I didn’t return the mags and they didn’t send me any back; mags had nothing to do with it.

Should I have had to send it back? Of course not. But guns are mechanically devices and they can have problems. My life can depend on my carry guns, so I’m not going to try to blame everything but the gun; I want the mfg to make it right.

Issues with 9mm and short barreled 1911’s are common. My comments were simply that for a new user a full size 1911 in .45ACP by a quality manufacturer should be accurate and trouble free.

I looked at a 9mm 1911 for a target gun simply because of ammo cost; knowing it could have problems that would need attention. But when I was looking they wanted more for a 9mm than a .45; that’s crazy. I’m not paying more because they sell less of them.

However, those were just my thoughts to a user who is new to the 1911 platform. I’m sure he will do his research on what is suggest here.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If you are only going to have one 1911, then get one with the prancing pony on the slide.  I bought a Colt 1911 about ten years ago for less than $700.  The first few magazines had some failures to eject but the next 1000 or so rounds have been flawless. 

NOTE: I am in no way an expert on 1911s.  I only own one and I wanted a Colt. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have had Colt, Sig, STI, Remington 1911s.  I now have a Dan Wesson.  Should have started there, wouldn't have needed to go through the time and trouble with the others.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Springfield Armory have great 1911s and excellent guarantee, under a $1000.00 you can go Ruger, Colt or SA, Colts are my favorite, for your first 1911, I'll suggest a 5" barrel and in .45 ACP.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1911s are like rabbits, a lot of different sizes, colors, caliber, but they are all 1911s. They breed really fast. They are cute and cuddly and  that little voice in my head keeps saying got to have this one for a playmate to my others.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/26/2019 at 8:15 AM, DaveTN said:

But that’s my point. If I buy a quality gun from S&W, Ruger, Kimber, etc. and it doesn’t function properly out of the box after a thorough cleaning and lube; it goes back. I don’t buy into the “needs break-in” or mag issues. I use WWB as range ammo, that is a proven ammo in the low cost stuff and my guns need to work with it.

I had a shield that had problems out of the box. I read all the comments about mags, beak-in etc. I emailed S&W, they sent me a shipping label, the gun was fixed and returned; no more problems. I didn’t return the mags and they didn’t send me any back; mags had nothing to do with it.

Should I have had to send it back? Of course not. But guns are mechanically devices and they can have problems. My life can depend on my carry guns, so I’m not going to try to blame everything but the gun; I want the mfg to make it right.

Issues with 9mm and short barreled 1911’s are common. My comments were simply that for a new user a full size 1911 in .45ACP by a quality manufacturer should be accurate and trouble free.

I looked at a 9mm 1911 for a target gun simply because of ammo cost; knowing it could have problems that would need attention. But when I was looking they wanted more for a 9mm than a .45; that’s crazy. I’m not paying more because they sell less of them.

However, those were just my thoughts to a user who is new to the 1911 platform. I’m sure he will do his research on what is suggest here.

I can assure you that a break-in period for most 1911s is real.  Every gun should run out of the box, but some don't at first and that's just reality.  So are magazine issues--especially with .40 or 9mm 1911s.  1911s were made for 1.25" cartridges.  9 and .40 are typically 1/8" shorter.  A spacer (about 1/8" thick) usually cures the issue.  The EMP is made for 9 and 40 length cartridges.  The two 1911s I've had the biggest issues with were .45s--one a bushing Colt and the other a bull barrel Kimber, both Commander sized guns.  The Kimber was a nightmare.  They shipped it with metal follower magazines that immediately started chewing up the aluminum frame below the feed ramp.  When the gun wasn't destroying itself, it wouldn't extract half the time.  The other half it wouldn't eject.  I don't miss that gun.

FWIW, my 9mm Trojan ran like a sewing machine in the pouring rain all day at the AR State IDPA championship Saturday.  Musta been them Dawson mags...

Edited by deerslayer

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Another +1 for a Springfield RO in .45 ACP. I started out shooting an informal bullseye pistol match every week with my Springfield Loaded model but I didn't like the fixed night sight or the dead center hold I was having to use just to be able to stay on the paper at 25 yards.

After trying out a loaner RO for a month of shooting, the owner sold me the pistol for $500.00 and with a 6 o'clock hold, I'm able to keep most of a 10 shot string in or very close to the black during a 90 round match and having to use at least two repair centers during each match.

A 200 grain LSWC backed by 6.5 grains of #5 and a Winchester LPP has worked well in both pistols.

Bill

Edited by BCR#1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I e had several Colts. From  mustangs,defenders,commanders,to GIs. Everyone of them ran out of the box with no issues. Even with the factory mags.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In my experience, adjustable sights are more necessary on 9mm 1911s than .45s.    Regulating point of impact for a 9mm is often not ideal out of the box on fixed sight 1911s and you will more often than not have it shooting low or high.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, ken_mays said:

In my experience, adjustable sights are more necessary on 9mm 1911s than .45s.    Regulating point of impact for a 9mm is often not ideal out of the box on fixed sight 1911s and you will more often than not have it shooting low or high.

I think that’s true of any semi auto regardless of caliber. I guess it depends on what the application of the gun is.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Personally, I'm not a fan of adjustable sites on a combat/carry gun.  I'm not shooting bullseye targets.  And of course JMB didn't put adjustable sights on the original 1911s.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've read all of these posts and also some other threads as well relating to 1911's.  I'm getting the itch to purchase my first 1911.  It will probably never be my EDC or sport a silencer.  It'll just be something to round out my collection and take to the range from time to time.

It seems the consensus is that any caliber other than the .45 God intended can be problematic.  That's disappointing to me as I wanted a 9mm platform to avoid stocking yet another caliber.  With all that said, what's the feedback on Remington R1 Enhanced Black 9mm 5-inch?  Currently  $560.

https://grabagun.com/remington-1911-r1-enchanced-9mm-9-1rd.html

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

For $1k I would suggest the Springfield MC Operator. Mine runs flawless and is by far my favorite handgun (emotionally). I carry Glocks though,  but would not hesitate to trust the MC Operator for duty as I did for a while. It's just so heavy and I'm to physically broke.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Similar Content

    • By TGO David
      Something that I discovered recently was that, surprisingly despite the smaller size of my hands, the Glock 19 platform that I had carried religiously for nearly 20 years really wasn't the best platform for me.  Shocker!
      What I discovered was that the longer grip length of the Glock 17 not only put the grip's palm swell/hump in a location that fit my hand better, but I also benefited from using the the medium back strap as it gave me more surface area to get my support hand onto.  More support hand on the grip itself and not overlapping my dominant hand fingers means more actual contact with the gun and therefore better recoil management, less muzzle rise, and faster split times.
      My world had basically been turned on its ear.
      While I still wasn't a fan of the additional length of the 17 for IWB carry, especially with a compensator hanging off the end of it, the Glock model 45 suddenly made a heck of a lot more sense to me than it ever had previously.
      Consequently, I've started to part ways with most of my Glock 19s and have picked up two G45s as their replacement.  The added bonus of course is that the G45's slide is the same length as the G19's, so all of my holsters work just fine with them.
       
      This gun is my "pimped out" carry rig for when I'm feeling a little extra sassy and don't mind a little extra bulk on me.  I sent the slide off to DP Custom Works and had Doug mill it for an RMR and mill the front top of the slide with extra cocking serrations to make press-checks a little easier.  While he had the slide, he re-finished it in a tough black nitride, which looks fantastic and isn't as slick as the factory Gen 5 black nDLC.
      I added a ZEV Gen 5 curved trigger with their tuned ZEV Pro connector, ZEV suppressor height sights, a Crux Ordnance oversized mag release, a Silencerco threaded barrel, a Parker Mountain Machine comp, and hung one of my 1,000 lumen Surefire X300-UB lights off of it.
      The whole thing rides very easily in a Squared Away Customs "FOXTROT" outside the waistband holster or a Legacy Firearms Company light-bearing CRONUS inside the waistband holster.
       
      As for how it shoots, I've got the dot set for a 10-yard zero and stacking rounds in a cloverleaf within a 1-inch circle at that distance isn't a difficult task for me.
      ** Edited to Add: These photos were taken with an Agency trigger installed, before I swapped it out for the Zev curved trigger to keep things consistent across all of my Glocks **
       

       

       

       

       
    • By Ronald_55
      I saw someone mention an 80% revolver on another forum. Anyone ever heard of something that resembles This? Of course they had no links or detailed info on it.
       
    • By DaveTN
      This is pretty cool. I don’t shoot competitively anymore, so I can’t justify the cost of one of these, but to me they are an excellent example of the shift in gun making.
      There is very little old school conventional “Gunsmithing” going on at Ed Brown. But there is a lot of high performance, high accuracy machining by quality Machinists, Programmers, and QA inspectors.
      I’ve spent my life in manufacturing. I’ve heard it all like “Things aren’t made as good as in the old days”, something must be right because “It is CNC machined” or something is special because it was “Designed in CAD”. I just smile when I see these kinds of statements.
      Truth is, we have far surpassed any that could be done quality wise in “the old days”. Unless someone is doing “One off” protype work or working in their garage; most everything is “CNC Machined”. And everything is “Designed in CAD”.
      Does that mean everything today is better than it was in the past? Absolutely not. These technologies still rely on the Machinists and the programmers (many times the same person) using them. CNC machines can make junk, and they can make it fast. These CNC machines only do what they programmer tells them to do. If he programs the part wrong; the machine will make it wrong. CNC machines are high drama. They require Machinists and Programmers that are on top of every little detail, every single minute. They require inspectors that are checking all critical dimensions, all the time.
      If you have high accuracy, quality machines, and you have the best Machinists and Programmers. You can make extremely accurate parts that don’t require any hand fitting; they fit together to extremely tight tolerances and work every time. In 1992 Ed Brown quit gunsmithing and went strictly design and manufacture. He retired at 65 and turned the business over to his family. With what he put in place; it can carry on.
      So, what does this mean to you? Well, it means you can buy a high-quality competition for gun for $2K instead of 10K. It also means if you need a replacement part, it can be shipped to you and dropped in without requiring a gunsmith.
      Sorry for the trip down memory lane, this isn't something new, but when I saw this; I saw a good example of a positive change with people involved that are dedicated to quality. I don’t own one of these guns, but I’d sure like to; I bet they are really something.
      Why doesn’t Smith & Wesson or Glock or anyone else do this? Because then they can’t sell their guns for $300-$400. But change is happening on a daily basis; someday they will.
      https://www.edbrown.com/fueled-series/

The Fine Print

Tennessee Gun Owners (TNGunOwners.com) is the premier Community and Discussion Forum for gun owners, firearm enthusiasts, sportsmen and Second Amendment proponents in the state of Tennessee and surrounding region.

TNGunOwners.com (TGO) is a presentation of Enthusiast Productions. The TGO state flag logo and the TGO tri-hole "icon" logo are trademarks of Tennessee Gun Owners. The TGO logos and all content presented on this site may not be reproduced in any form without express written permission. The opinions expressed on TGO are those of their authors and do not necessarily reflect those of the site's owners or staff.

Before engaging in any transaction of goods or services on TGO, all parties involved must know and follow the local, state and Federal laws regarding those transactions. TGO makes no claims, guarantees or assurances regarding any such transactions.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to the following.
Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines