Glock Gen5 single sided slide stop

tercel89

Have any of you guys/gals wondered about a single sided slide stop ? I like some of the Glock Gen 5 changes but I don't like the double sided slide stop. I know I could cut off the other side but wondering what you guy think ? Any information is appreciated.

• Administrator

Does the ambidextrous slide stop interfere somehow with your grip while shooting?   I'm curious as to why you'd want to remove it as, aesthetically, it would leave a hole in the other side of the frame.  I assume you are right handed?

I just like things to be as simple as they can be and with pistols , as smooth sided as they can. I want the sides to but less "busy" without levers and such. My work place went over to the Gen 5 a year ago and so far so good. I like the Gen 5 but for my personal Gen 5 I like it all except the dual slide stop levers. I guess it's just a "quirk" of mine.

• Like 1

I can see not liking an ambi-safety but a Glock slide stop?  It’s so minimal to begin with and how could it possibly interfere with anything?

I can definitely see the possibility of unintended consequences by cutting part of it off. What, I have no idea, but seems to me the odds are greater than leaving it alone.

Edited by Garufa
  • Like 1
27 minutes ago, tercel89 said:

I can cut off the other side no problem , but before I do that I'd like to hear other's thoughts and ideas.

Buy a replacement slide stop, cut the right side off, install it. If you don't like it, switch back.

I like to practice shooting wrong handed (happens to be lefty for me) so I'd keep it on there. But it's your pistol and I can't really see that change hurting anything, so knock yourself out.

• Like 1
56 minutes ago, TomInMN said:

Buy a replacement slide stop, cut the right side off, install it. If you don't like it, switch back.

I like to practice shooting wrong handed (happens to be lefty for me) so I'd keep it on there. But it's your pistol and I can't really see that change hurting anything, so knock yourself out.

That's what I am going to do , buy an extra one , cut it and then install it. I'll have the original for back-up.

1 hour ago, tercel89 said:

That's what I am going to do , buy an extra one , cut it and then install it. I'll have the original for back-up.

Please take some photos of the process and the result and let us know what you think.

• Administrator
On 3/26/2019 at 5:18 PM, tercel89 said:

I just like things to be as simple as they can be and with pistols , as smooth sided as they can. I want the sides to but less "busy" without levers and such. My work place went over to the Gen 5 a year ago and so far so good. I like the Gen 5 but for my personal Gen 5 I like it all except the dual slide stop levers. I guess it's just a "quirk" of mine.

Check.  How crazy are you about the new PVD finish on the Gen 5?  I think it's too slick.  I've toyed with the idea of sending my slide off to have front cocking serrations added and either carbon black Cerakote or black nitrided finish put on it instead.

2 hours ago, TGO David said:

Check.  How crazy are you about the new PVD finish on the Gen 5?  I think it's too slick.  I've toyed with the idea of sending my slide off to have front cocking serrations added and either carbon black Cerakote or black nitrided finish put on it instead.

This Gen 5 finish is a little more slicker to the feel than the older frying pan finish. I can grab the serrations and rack the slide just as good as my older Gen 3 . I've been carrying my work G17 Gen 5  since December of 2017. So far no major scuffs or scratches. So far it may end up being almost as tough as the frying pan finish. But grabbing it on the places other than the serrations , it's slick.

• Like 1
On ‎3‎/‎27‎/‎2019 at 5:36 PM, TGO David said:

Here's a layout for ya : First the Gen 2 Tenifer , then the Tenifer with "frying pan" Gen 3 , and then my duty gun the Gen 5 . So far it's seems that it's hard to beat the Gen 3 "frying pan" .

IMG_4493.jpg

• Like 1

I gotta say that the first Glock Gen 2 ( first in my picture) is one sexy beast. The best Glock made. It's been shot a lot and is old but it's my favorite. The original 2 pin design beats all others. rust resistance , dependability , and on and on . She may be polymer but she beats all the metal framed guns and to me is still pretty ! The second is my Gen 3 G22. It has the frying fan finish. I bought it from my department when we went over to the Gen 5 G17 which is what  is in the last pistol in the picture. I am still getting used to it. The Gen 5 slide is very black in color .

Edited by tercel89