Nashville folks....

Heading to Nashville this weekend with the family. Staying around green hills. Plan to hit the zoo. Carry friendly? Any areas of the city to avoid or be extra vigilant? We plan to walk around downtown on Saturday during the day  

Also, any food recommendations would be great. We will have a 5 year old so nothing too crazy. Bbq, pizza (if it’s out of this world) and of course, where to go  for hot chicken? 

Thanks in advance! 

Hattie B’s is good but I’m really enjoying Big Shake’s hot chicken in Goodlettsville. They all have no heat chicken. 

Now days I wouldn’t go anywhere in Nashville without a gun but day time downtown should be ok just watch for beggers. I think the zoo has a no gun rule on the board above the ticket counter bit don’t remember an actual gun buster. 

10 hours ago, TGO David said:

Hattie B's is good and a great entry point into Nashville Hot Chicken, but most enthusiasts around here will tell you to make haste to 400 Degrees for the best NHC available.   Aqui knows how to make some damn good chicken!

http://400degreeshotchicken.com/

3704 Clarksville Pike
Nashville Tennessee, 37218

You've intrigued me, sir. I may have to give this a try the next time that I'm made to go into the office.

• Like 1

Aqui at 400 Degrees makes great hot chicken and an awesome hot pork chop.  

There is a place on Nolensville Road called Subculture that makes incredible hot chicken tacos and a hot chicken sandwich.  Pablo is the chef and he really knows what he is doing.  He also makes a hot chicken ramen that is fantastic.

There are two relatively new places that are becoming my favorite:

T-N-T bbq off Brick Church Pike and Grandaddys in Joelton.  

• Like 1

It has been a while since I lived in Nashville but, unless it has changed your best bet is from downtown and south.  Nashville caters to tourists and Vanderbilt Campus is down there so if you stay in the touristy areas you'll be OK.  Avoid any hotel that has a razor wire fence around it. ;) I have found that whenever I get lost in a big city I always wind up in the bad part of town.  Nashville is a fun town.

https://www.aol.com/2010/10/05/safe-and-dangerous-places-in-nashville/

My great grandfather went to Nashville in 1864. He stayed less than a mile away from where I lived. In Rebout #4 with Lumsden's battery.  He wasn't there for very long, but he gave'm plenty of ball and shot.  His name was Pvt Isaac Mason and he lived to prosper after the war. He built a house made by putting two slave cabins together. The house still stands in Stockton Alabama. (Sorry to get off topic)

N17.png

Edited by Will Carry
  • Like 1
15 hours ago, Parrothead said:

Bbq, pizza (if it’s out of this world) and of course, where to go  for hot chicken? 

BBQ: Edley's, Martin's

Pizza: Pastaria, Mafiaoza's

Hot Chicken: Hattie B's is damn good, and their pimento Mac n' Cheese is the tits.  Recommend ordering online if you want to skip the wait line with all the tourists.

• Like 1
  • Admin Team

I’ve been pleasantly surprised by how good the new Prince’s On Nolensville is. SWJewell and I were there a month or so back - and it was packed for the better part of three hours.  They’ve got plenty of seating, and plenty of parking which is underrated and you’ll totally understand once you go to Hattie B’s.

Hattie B’s is a great entry point into hot chicken because their sides really make the meal. But they are always crowded. Always.

If you go to the one on eighth, and it’s crowded, just do yourself a favor and go to Bolton‘s Hot C hicken and Fish across the street. Their hot fish sandwich is great.

Frankly, I’d skip Lower Broadway at large unless you’re going to some particular event.  There’s all kinds of great stuff to do without getting wound up in all of that.

The Country Music Hall of Fame is great even if you’re not a consumer of country music.

• Like 2

If you have time, take em to the Parthenon and the State Museum. If you have any interest in music, Gruhn's Guitar is an awesome store to visit. Most of it is above my means, but I sure love looking.

I think Jack Cawthorn's BBQ on Charlotte Pike is a good restuarant.

Edited by gregintenn
  • Like 1
6 hours ago, Ray Z said:

Got to go to White Castle while you're there. It's the only thing we miss from North of the Mason / Dixon

I love me some White Castle. Always thougth Krystal was a knock-off (which it is). Always had the same view of the Prince Chicken knock-offs, or the Skyline Chili knock-offs. Haven't experienced any of the chicken knock-offs, and trust that they are good. I have eaten tons of Krystal and Gold Star chili. Just like to keep the IP with the ones that brung it.

And for those of us that cut their teeth on White Castle.... Mustard? WTF?

• Like 1
41 minutes ago, mikegideon said:

I love me some White Castle. Always thougth Krystal was a knock-off (which it is). Always had the same view of the Prince Chicken knock-offs, or the Skyline Chili knock-offs. Haven't experienced any of the chicken knock-offs, and trust that they are good. I have eaten tons of Krystal and Gold Star chili. Just like to keep the IP with the ones that brung it.

And for those of us that cut their teeth on White Castle.... Mustard? WTF?

Krystal may have been a knock off but they are far superior to White Castle.  I will eat a White Castle in a pinch but Krystal is #1.  The mustard is what makes the little burgers so good.

spacer.png

• Like 4
2 hours ago, KahrMan said:

Krystal may have been a knock off but they are far superior to White Castle.  I will eat a White Castle in a pinch but Krystal is #1.  The mustard is what makes the little burgers so good.

spacer.png

I can't believe a grease loving southerner is even talking that way. More than one way to look at it, I reckon. I'll just say, somebody was working pretty hard to screw up a White Castle :) 

• Admin Team
On 3/28/2019 at 3:57 PM, SWJewellTN said:

Peg Leg Porker's is some good BBQ in downtown Nashville: https://www.peglegporker.com/ 

I particularly like their smoked green beans. 

I was in there Monday night with several guys. It was busy, but sane when we got there.  That quickly changed.  

We were there for an hour and a half or so and I bet the line wasn’t less than 100 people deep the whole time we were there. On a weeknight. 

They must have gotten on one of those “don’t miss” tourist lists.  

It was so busy they ran out of pulled pork.

33 minutes ago, mikegideon said:

I can't believe a grease loving southerner is even talking that way. More than one way to look at it, I reckon. I'll just say, somebody was working pretty hard to screw up a White Castle :) 

Any true Southerner will choose TN based Krystal over Kansas based White Castle...:D

• Like 3
  • Admin Team
5 minutes ago, KahrMan said:

Any true Southerner will choose TN based Krystal over Kansas based White Castle...:D

I was saddened to see the old Krystal on Franklin Rd. torn down to make way for yet more apartments. 

• Like 1