Alaris Tactical chest holster

I've been looking for a good chest holster for my SBH .44 without spending silly money. It's literally something I'll use maybe 10 days a year.

I found a company called Alaris Tactical that make a holster very similar to the Gunfighter Kenai. It's actually called a Kodiak......

http://alaristactical.net/kodiak-chest-holsters.html

But it's only $80. 

Has anyone got any experience or comments on these before I order one? It looks exactly like what I want, at a price I'm happy to pay, but I have nothing in the way of experience to guide me here.

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I have zero experience with a chest holster, but plenty with a shoulder holster, so my comment is I would want a thumb break. But it looks like leather with a thumb break run around ~$120.

I think something as heavy as a Super Black Hawk could go flying right out of an unsecured Kydex holster. But if you don’t make any moves that could cause that; it might be fine. :)

Just a comment; its worth what you paid for it.

• Admin Team

Is a drop leg holster an option?

i carry an N-frame based .44mag in kydex without much worry.  But, the ergonomics of a chest rig are sketchy for a stress encounter.  That draw stroke is almost going to necessitate you sweeping yourself with the muzzle.  Add in the single action and the stress of a bear rushing you in the brush... I don’t know that I’d fully trust myself there. 

I tried a drop leg with my Redhawk in Montana once.

Once.

As far as I know it's still at the bottom of the basin I threw it in!

Chest carry seems to be 10:1 preferred for bear defence carry out west & in AK. I think mostly because it's complete unobtrusive whilst using trekking poles or climbing through thick brush. I thought I'd got it dialled in with my G29 & Safariland drop-and-offset, but it was constantly in my way & I ended up leaving the damn thing in the truck after a couple of days hunting.

Apparently trying to get from your hip, around a pack is much harder. Especially if you're pinned. The science (for want of a better word) says that in a big bear encounter, your instinct makes you cover your vitals & tuck up. That makes a low chest carry actually more instinctive. I know it's something I'm going to have to practice with a lot.

• Admin Team

What pack are you using?  I've had some success putting my holster on the hip belt of my pack, too.  I can carry anywhere from appendix - maybe 90 degrees around to 3-4o'clock.

I've been able to carry without modding my pack - but I'm skinny.  I've got a friend who sewed a double piece of 1.5" tubular webbing to his hip belt, with a faster buckle.  He was then able to use his normal OWB holster on his pack.

• Admin Team

That particular holster does look to be good quality.  If you could adjust it out to cant a bit to more of a diagonal sideways draw, I think it would be more comfortable with your pack - not to mention when you sit.

Of course it's nice to be able to drop your pack and retain the pistol - but I doubt anyone would have the time if it went down.

4" barrel?

I'm running either a Kifaru Eastern ruck, or an Exo 5500. I also wear an Alaskan Guide Gear bino harness all the time. I considered a holster for my pack & that would mostly work bow hunting, but my major concern is when I'm elbows deep in an elk or antelope, with my pack off & my rifle a couple of steps away.

If it's anything like the GunfightersInc job, it seems like I'd be able to position it almost anywhere from center to my left rib cage, high chest or low belly (depending on the strap lengths on this one)

Unfortunately I'm not exactly athletically built & bits of me get in the way..... :D

5½" From a standard, leather belt holster, I can draw, cock & be on target near as dammit as quick as I could with my g29 or SRH, the only other pistols I've ever really trained with.