Quick CCW ID Question

I have been approved for my ccw and it shows online that it will be mailed within 10 days. Is it legal for me to go ahead and carry without the actual ID card with me?

I assume there'd be no issues, unless I had to actually use the gun, but I couldn't find anything online stating we had to have the card on me with a concealed gun.

Just now, John75 said:

I know the feeling, I just got mine a couple of weeks ago. The wait is agonizing. 

I have always kept a gun in my vehicle. I'd feel better having it on me when I'm at an atm or standing at a gas pump. It's within reach, buy i'd feel better with it close to the vest, as they say. I have to do some running around downtown Nashville this weekend. Maybe it will arrive tomorrow. I can wait a few more days. I assumed if it was mandatory to have it with me, they would have drove that point home in our class or on the state's website.

5 hours ago, gregintenn said:

I thought you could carry with the receipt you got at the DMV until the card arrives. Is that incorrect?

Your receipt from the DMV does not indicate that you have been approved (i.e. passed the background check) for a new concealed carry permit. 

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...

For what it's worth, and I always have my permit on me, is that I have never been asked to show my card, or even asked if I had a permit. Anytime I've been stopped, I tell them I'm armed and the officer never has taken it any further. The fact is, as soon as they run your driver's license they know if you have a valid HCP. Maybe I've just never ran across the right cop, but with any of the encounters I've had, the officer couldn't care less that there was a firearm on my side. Of course I always keep my hands in sight, and not have them anywhere near the gun. 

That being said, it's still against the law to not have your card on you while carrying.

7 minutes ago, m16ty said:

For what it's worth, and I always have my permit on me, is that I have never been asked to show my card, or even asked if I had a permit. Anytime I've been stopped, I tell them I'm armed and the officer never has taken it any further. The fact is, as soon as they run your driver's license they know if you have a valid HCP. Maybe I've just never ran across the right cop, but with any of the encounters I've had, the officer couldn't care less that there was a firearm on my side. Of course I always keep my hands in sight, and not have them anywhere near the gun. 

Since carry in vehicle is focus of your post, ya know that permit not necessary for firearms in your vehicle in this state, right?

7 minutes ago, m16ty said:

That being said, it's still against the law to not have your card on you while carrying.

Again, not within your vehicle, which seems to be focus of your post.

- OS

3 minutes ago, Oh Shoot said:

Since carry in vehicle is focus of your post, ya know that permit not necessary for firearms in your vehicle in this state, right?

Again, not within your vehicle, which seems to be focus of your post.

- OS

True, but all my encounters with officers were before the vehicle carry law went into effect, or out of state (I got stopped one time in Alabama last year in a CMV).

I'd say 99% of your encounters with officers will be during a traffic stop, which like you said, is legal without permit in TN. I have had zero interactions with officers (besides cop buddies I hang with) outside of a vehicle.

Edited by m16ty