Sign in to follow this  
john455

Nashville Parks?????

The family and I are headed to Nashville to meet up with my sister and her family coming down from IL for a family get together in a couple of weeks, we are planning to meet at one of the parks in Nashville, I was wondering what the carry laws are for the parks in Nashville?

Best I'm aware, the law around city parks is fuzzy and depends on who manages the park and how it's designated and/or used. I believe cities claim they can post it, where state law says postings aren't applicable unless a school group is nearby.  Search Knoxville and Chilhowee Park. 

I don’t know how Metro interprets the law, but here is the pertinent information with a link to the entire statute....

Someone might have more information if you specify what park.

(b) (1) Subsection (a) shall not apply to the following persons:

(H)

(i)  Persons possessing a handgun, who are authorized to carry the handgun pursuant to § 39-17-1351, while within or on a public park, natural area, historic park, nature trail, campground, forest, greenway, waterway, or other similar public place that is owned or operated by the state, a county, a municipality, or instrumentality of the state, a county, or municipality;

(ii)  Subdivision (b)(1)(H)(i) shall not apply if the permit holder:

(a)  Possessed a handgun in the immediate vicinity of property that was, at the time of possession, in use by any board of education, school, college or university board of trustees, regents, or directors for the administration of any public or private educational institution for the purpose of conducting an athletic event or other school-related activity on an athletic field, permanent or temporary, including but not limited to, a football or soccer field, tennis court, basketball court, track, running trail, Frisbee field, or similar multi-use field; and

(b)  Knew or should have known the athletic activity or school-related activity described in subdivision (b)(1)(H)(ii)(a) was taking place on the property; or

(c)  Failed to take reasonable steps to leave the area of the athletic event or school-related activity after being informed of or becoming aware of its use;

(iii)  For purposes of subdivision (b)(1)(H)(ii)(a) and (c), property described in subdivision (b)(1)(H)(i) is "in use" only when one (1) or more students are physically present on the property for an activity a reasonable person knows or should know is an athletic event, or other school event or school-related activity. Property listed in subdivision (b)(1)(H)(i) is not in use solely because equipment, materials, supplies, or other property owned or used by a school is stored, maintained, or permitted to remain on the property;

https://advance.lexis.com/documentpage/?pdmfid=1000516&crid=aad1dfb5-d675-40c8-b1b0-27f1e167d782&nodeid=ABNAAOAANAAL&nodepath=%2FROOT%2FABN%2FABNAAO%2FABNAAOAAN%2FABNAAOAANAAL&level=4&haschildren=&populated=false&title=39-17-1311.+Carrying+weapons+on+public+parks%2C+playgrounds%2C+civic+centers+and+other+public+recreational+buildings+and+grounds.&config=025054JABlOTJjNmIyNi0wYjI0LTRjZGEtYWE5ZC0zNGFhOWNhMjFlNDgKAFBvZENhdGFsb2cDFQ14bX2GfyBTaI9WcPX5&pddocfullpath=%2Fshared%2Fdocument%2Fstatutes-legislation%2Furn%3AcontentItem%3A50J2-V4S0-R03M-D4G7-00008-00&ecomp=k357kkk&prid=080aa183-1d33-4038-8a4a-f7630ed3512b

Carry permitted in all public parks unless 1) school function taking place on the grounds 2) entrances posted and authorized inspection, search, metal detectors in use.