Glock 19 vs Sig P320 x-Compact

Bubba8806

3 minutes ago, DaveTN said:

I don’t know if you saw it but there is a YouTube video by a guy that has both. It’s titled:

Comparison: Glock 19 Gen 5 and Sig Sauer P320 Compact!

yeah i seen that but he is showing the std p320 and not the p320 X-Compact.

21 minutes ago, Bubba8806 said:

yeah i seen that but he is showing the std p320 and not the p320 X-Compact.

Ha, Ha, Ha,…then you should throw out anything he has to say if he doesn’t know the gun he has isn’t a compact. :)

I have numerous Glocks including the 19.  I recently purchased the P320 X-Carry.  It has now become my EDC after 20 years of carrying a Glock 22.  The trigger on the Sig is what really sold me.  The 320 feels great in my hand, the trigger is fantastic.  I love my Glocks but Sig did it right with the 320 X-Carry

• Administrator
On 4/12/2019 at 8:15 AM, Bubba8806 said:

Ok guys lets hear what you guys think about the difference between these 2 guns. I seen the Sig P320 X-Compact and it looks pretty sweet. Just wondering how you think it compares to the tried and true Glock 19?

I was initially somewhat interested in the X-Compact until I realized that you eliminate the rear iron sights when you put the Romeo red-dot optic on it.  Why in the world they designed it this way is beyond me.  FN manages to keep the rear iron sight with the 509 Tactical and everyone under the sun can mill a Glock 19 or M&P slide to accept an RMR and still use a thinner rear iron sight.

Also worth noting is that the front irons don't co-witness with anything on the Romeo when you install it, so if your red dot goes down you are going to have to improvise.  Swapping it for a taller sight does nothing for you since, again, there is no rear iron or anything to align it with on the Romeo.

Lastly, I am not a fan of the Romeo-1 optic.  I'd rather install a Trijicon RMR or Leupold Delta Point Pro.  Reportedly the Romeo-1 shares the same footprint as the Leupold DPP but the DPP is a hair longer in front of the mounting screws which means it won't fit on the Sig X-Compact or X-Carry.  This is a serious "WTF Sig?" moment for me.

You could have the optic's pocket milled slightly longer to allow the DPP to fit, but it sucks to have to do that.

They came REALLY close to building a gun I'd want to have with the Sig X-Compact, but then fumbled the ball on such simple yet critical features.

• Like 1

I can offer you some observations based on having a couple G19's and a range of 320's. I'll qualify I love Glocks and 320's, it will come down you preferences, but I don't think its clear cut without knowing what it is you are expecting out of the XCompact assuming you are already familiar with a G19.  For example, do you expect it to be feel and carry smaller due to its shorter barrel / slide?   

There may have been some initial confusion from some who did not realize the Compact and XCompact are not the same in several ways. I have a 320 Sub-Compact which shares the XCompacts 3.6 in length, and  like my M&P 2.0 Compact in 3.5", I really like that length for a carry gun.  The only issue with the Sig is the beavertail adds to its overall length so you dont realize the full potential of the shorter barrel. And that gets worse with the extended beaver of an X style module.

The Glock is a bit slimmer. Even though the X module is narrower than a standard module, its still wider than a Glock compact frame. I have an X module that I had reduced as the original Carry version is bigger than than the standard Medium front to back, including shaving the beavertail down. I think the XCompact will lose a bit in that concealability dept around printing compared to a Glock but more for shape give overall grip length with mag is close.

All that said, I call Sig every couple weeks to try to get an XCompact module to run my Sub compact slide on as I only give up the RMR capability, which I would never run on an EDC anyway. 

I have an X-Carry,  and like David, I scratched my head at the rear iron being attached to the plate. The 320 RX Compact with the same length slide has a rear iron, why not standardize? I think pretty much everyone hates that siting all the examples where folks retain them in other brands but made worse when Sigs own 320 shows there was plenty of room.  Its just an X thing I guess. And its dumb and a miss.

That said....I do not agree with David with regard as that being an issue. The Romeo does in fact have a notch at the rear to serve in a back-up capacity. Its a reduced profile compared to a traditional iron, so its not a fantastic sight picture for bullseye shooting @ 25yds, but they did in fact think of that. Realistically when you factor most real world need to have your EDC will be an engagement of 3 - 5 yards, if your are the guy that needs sights at that distance versus realizing the guy who gets off he first shot is the one surviving to go home....its not a huge issue even if its not ideal based on our wish list.

I have Romeo's on my 229 and 320's, and I put one on my FNX45. Its a great $200 RMR and would recommend anyone pick one up when Sig is selling them at half price.

• Like 2
  • Administrator

I stand corrected about the Romeo-1 not having anything to co-witness with.  I apparently didn't search hard enough for a rear image of the sight.

image.png

That said, I am still told that the front sight that comes with the X-Compact is not tall enough to accurately cowitness against the notch in the rear sight.

At 3-5 yards, is anyone really aiming and why would you need a red dot for that?  :)

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/14/2019 at 5:33 PM, swiley383 said:

I shot a 320 at Sig day at a local gun shop and really liked it. Honestly I shot it slightly better than my G19

I had the same experience last Saturday. Really like the P320!