Latest CC Setup

Moped

A couple of weeks ago, I got my brand new S&W 442 out of lay-a-way at Harvey's here in Knoxville. Been looking around for a new holster for it.  I ended up picking  DeSantis Sof-Tuck IWB #106. I got it today from Academy Sports and have been carrying all afternoon.  This is my first foray with a IWB holster.  I'm pretty impressed do far with the concealablity and comfort! 

One thing I'm not impressed with though is the durability of the finish on this pistol. It's already picked a couple of scratches.  For a Smith, I would have expected a more scratch resistant finish.  So far that's the only thing I don't like about this little revolver.

• Like 1

All I can say is it is disappointing.

The finish on my CZs is inconsistent.

I've dropped my 75B on gravel, marred the finish but not to bare metal. My SDP has chips from handling and holster wear on the rail. Jury is still out on the RAMI P.

Since they are regular use carry guns, I'm less than concerned, but it still sucks.

• Like 1

And it seems like there are less and less manufacturers that are actually bluing steel but spraying a cheesy coat of paint on them.One in particular are the finishes on the Beretta line of pistols-shiny kinda fake looking paint.

• Like 1

I think the days of blued lower end firearms are over.  You will may still see it upper end firearms, but even then, not so much.  Stainless steel in those seems to be the go to.  To me though, wood and blue are much more appealing to the eye.   

• Like 3
On 4/23/2019 at 7:56 PM, krunchnik said:

And it seems like there are less and less manufacturers that are actually bluing steel but spraying a cheesy coat of paint on them.One in particular are the finishes on the Beretta line of pistols-shiny kinda fake looking paint.

I have a 442 with a blued barrel and cylinder and I would rather have a cheesy coat of paint, honestly.  It's a fair amount of work to keep rust off the blued parts on the 442 when I carry it.

• Like 1
16 hours ago, ken_mays said:

I have a 442 with a blued barrel and cylinder and I would rather have a cheesy coat of paint, honestly.  It's a fair amount of work to keep rust off the blued parts on the 442 when I carry it.

That speaks to my practical side.  But there is something about a a blue steel revolver that makes it a thing of beauty!

On 4/30/2019 at 5:22 AM, Moped said:

That speaks to my practical side.  But there is something about a a blue steel revolver that makes it a thing of beauty!

Oh, I absolutely agree.  But on the 442s, they are such a dull matte blue that they might as well be painted.   I did recently come into an older S&W Airweight that I think would be a sin to paint, though.

airweight_jpg-924272.JPG

• Like 1
1 hour ago, ken_mays said:

Oh, I absolutely agree.  But on the 442s, they are such a dull matte blue that they might as well be painted.   I did recently come into an older S&W Airweight that I think would be a sin to paint, though.

airweight_jpg-924272.JPG

Beautiful revolver!!!  It would be ashame to paint that!!!  I'd probably add a Tyler blue or chrome T-Grip to make that little gem more shootable!

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, Moped said:

Beautiful revolver!!!  It would be ashame to paint that!!!  I'd probably add a Tyler blue or chrome T-Grip to make that little gem more shootable!

I knew at one time, so I really should google it, but do you know if Tyler T grips are still available?

11 minutes ago, hipower said:

I knew at one time, so I really should google it, but do you know if Tyler T grips are still available?

My understanding is they are still in business but take months to deliver.  Their ordering process is only one step above getting something out of the back of a comic book back in the day.  Regardless, I want to get a couple and may just suck it up and send off for them.

• Like 2

As Garufa says, they are still in business but sell via mail order; no internet sales.  

You can check Gunbroker for secondary sales of T-grips -- Robertson's Trading Post right here in TN often has some in stock, and they do sell online.

1 hour ago, Garufa said:

My understanding is they are still in business but take months to deliver.  Their ordering process is only one step above getting something out of the back of a comic book back in the day.  Regardless, I want to get a couple and may just suck it up and send off for them.

1 hour ago, Garufa said:

My thanks to both of you guys. Just too lazy today to search. lol

I just knew TGO was a good, fast, and accurate source of information.

• Like 1

I used to have a .38 Colt Agent.  I put a Tyler TGrip on it.  Did wonders for controlling recoil, without increasing the size of the pistol.  I like the grips on this little 442 a lot better though.