Pmag 9mm conversion kit

Ronald_55

I've seen people on other boards use these with great success...not cheap but pretty cool...probably less of a hassle then using a magwell adapter...and I guess overall it is cheaper then getting a dedicated lower/magwell etc

aimsurplus had these for sale awhile ago....not really a very new idea btw

Edited by Magiccarpetrides
aim info
On 4/25/2019 at 10:36 AM, Magiccarpetrides said:

I've seen people on other boards use these with great success...not cheap but pretty cool...probably less of a hassle then using a magwell adapter...and I guess overall it is cheaper then getting a dedicated lower/magwell etc

aimsurplus had these for sale awhile ago....not really a very new idea btw

I am usually slow to catch on. Lol

I agree this is not cheap. Maybe if you had trouble getting the 9mm mags that fit your magblock. With how cheap lowers are, does not make a lot of sense. Back when things were crazy maybe this would have been good to swap out 5.56 and 9mm on one lower if you could not get lower to dedicate to 9mm

2 minutes ago, FrankD said:

for me one of the biggest benefits in having an AR pattern PCC is the ability to get one that accepts the same mags as your pistol.  This seems like a solution looking for a problem.

Yep. The reason I have a dedicated Glock mag 9mm AR pistol...

• Admin Team

I've got a Glock-pattern lower for exactly the reasons above.

But, the weakness in all of those platforms is the jankiness of the bolt hold open - it's less than ideal on all of them. You should never have to read in a manual - "if it doesn't work, bend it until it works better."

The fact that the BHO works as designed on this one is a big draw.  Couple in the fact that you can use your same mag pouches, and mag changes, etc are the same as on 5.56 - it's a compelling feature set.

If I was looking to move to the platform - I'd at least give this a hard look.  At $30, I'll probably pick one up at some point just to test and play around with.

• Admin Team

All of the above said, having the ejector on the mag is an issue for me.

If you want to drop a magazine with rounds still in it and render the weapon safe, you're going to have to rack the bolt and manually remove the round that's still going to be attached to the bolt face.

That's less than ideal.

• Like 1

I have used some for several months.  I've used it with a couple different style 9mm bolts. I was skeptical in the plastic ejector and even spoke with the manufacturer about it.  They explored the possibility of pinning a metal ejector but the plastic was already so thin that creating a spot to pin a metal ejector made the area that held the pin even weaker.  They claim you can get 10,000 or so rounds before the ejector fails, which spread amongst say 5 mags is alot of rounds.  I don't see this replacing dedicated lowers, because once you've bought enough mags/adapters you can infinitely surpass the overall cost of a dedicated lower.  However, someone that doesn't want to knock out a bolt catch for a full auto lower, or SBR to put in some type of 9mm block it's a great idea. 

As far as the manual of arms, they recommend locking the action back with the mag in, then removing the mag, then then visually/tactically inspect the chamber, which is opposite of everything most people have been taught. That can be off putting for some people but for me just tinkering with it isn't a big deal.  They offer a CMMG model meant to work with their radial delay blowback system that has its own ejector which acts just like a 566.  Basically they cut the ejector off of the mag. CMMG looks like they partnered with them to offer mag combos and complete rifles. I think they're called ARC.  https://www.cmmginc.com/9-arc/

I've had about 1,000 rounds with no issues but i've read where people had had issues with certain style bolts. Mine is a PSA i paid $250 for a complete upper. Some (BOLTS) are cut just slightly different than others.  Some of them have to "break in" before they work reliably. 

Edited by orientalexpress
  • Like 1