NRA notice!

Did anyone else get and email from the NRA begging for money because the Governor of New York is threatening banks across the country to stop doing business with the NRA or they would feel the rath from his power to cause them major problems? If so how many people here believe Cuomo has that kind of power? That would make him more powerful than the President would it not??? Look forward to hearing opinions from members here!!!

Governors can have their insurance commissioners take exactly this sort of action.  Of course it's corruption for a government to use its regulatory authority to attack legal businesses just because those in power don't like the organization...which is why the ACLU is supporting the NRA in its lawsuit against New York.

They called me yesterday and I didn't answer. Called today from a different number and when I answered the lady said she was paid to call me and that Ollie North had asked her to call me....and that's when I said, "listen, I am a life member and the NRA leadership needs to go after hanging us out on bump stocks. have a nice day. click."

I saw an article yesterday that the NRA spent $40 MILLION last year with their PR firm. Can you imagine how how many good laws we could pass at the state level and how many lawsuits could be filed for that much money? Not to mention that ole' Wayne makes over $1 million a year. The libs claim that the NRA is just a wing of the gun lobby, but in reality it's just a money making scam for the officers.

• Like 1
31 minutes ago, macville said:

They called me yesterday and I didn't answer. Called today from a different number and when I answered the lady said she was paid to call me and that Ollie North had asked her to call me....and that's when I said, "listen, I am a life member and the NRA leadership needs to go after hanging us out on bump stocks. have a nice day. click."

I saw an article yesterday that the NRA spent $40 MILLION last year with their PR firm. Can you imagine how how many good laws we could pass at the state level and how many lawsuits could be filed for that much money? Not to mention that ole' Wayne makes over $1 million a year. The libs claim that the NRA is just a wing of the gun lobby, but in reality it's just a money making scam for the officers.

I think any corruption should be dealt with swiftly by the board. Now, with that said, trying to GUESS the cost to do the PR for an organization like the NRA is a waste of time. Screaming thru the noise at the national level is a huge and expensive deal. I read the article a few days ago, BTW.

My bet is that if we try this without the NRA, we're gonna wind up losing the second amendment, or having to start shooting to keep it. No shock really that some rats probably need killin'.

• Like 3
28 minutes ago, Chucktshoes said:

I don’t think that anybody is saying to scrap the NRA, not even if harshest critics like Jeff Knox. But the corruption needs to be rooted out before it causes irreparable damage to the organization. 

Can't quote the exact comment, but during some searching tonight I did some wild comments about that course of action. If I can stay awake long enough, I'll try and find it.

• Like 1
  • Moderators
3 minutes ago, hipower said:

Can't quote the exact comment, but during some searching tonight I did some wild comments about that course of action. If I can stay awake long enough, I'll try and find it.

OK, maybe I should have been more specific. I don’t think anybody with any ideas of substance is calling for getting rid of the NRA. 

• Like 2
1 minute ago, Chucktshoes said:

OK, maybe I should have been more specific. I don’t think anybody with any ideas of substance is calling for getting rid of the NRA. 

A lot of folks want to get rid of the NRA. All we gotta do is stop supporting and defending them  

13 hours ago, Garufa said:

The NRA is incorporated in the state of NY so Cuomo can cause them all kinds of problems.

This was posted in another thread today and it seriously concerns me about that organization.  It’s worth the read.

https://www.ammoland.com/2019/04/nras-dirty-laundry-exposed-as-pro-gun-group-cleans-house/#axzz5m9Mp8dA9

The quote about the heavy handed fund raising is real.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, MacGyver said:

It’s crazy that they’re airing their political grudge match in open at the convention:

Just shows how much money and power is at stake in my mind.  This is a mud fight that's going far beyond hubris making someone stay on the train despite it being at their stop.

• Like 2
  • Moderators
1 hour ago, MacGyver said:

It’s crazy that they’re airing their political grudge match in open at the convention:

I suspect that some transparency would be bad for all of the parties involved. All of them. Regardless, I suspect it’s about to get way uglier. 

• Like 3

It's sad to see the NRA getting bad publicity like this, but I fear it's necessary if we are to clean out the crooks and put the organization back on track and doing what it's supposed to do.  Turn on the bright lights, open the books, and if the cockroaches all flee, the NRA will be better for it.

On 4/25/2019 at 5:40 PM, bersaguy said:

Did anyone else get and email from the NRA begging for money because the Governor of New York is threatening banks across the country to stop doing business with the NRA or they would feel the rath from his power to cause them major problems? If so how many people here believe Cuomo has that kind of power? That would make him more powerful than the President would it not??? Look forward to hearing opinions from members here!!!

Here are my opinions for what they are worth… :)

A Governor is more powerful within their own state than the President. Other than us having to help foot the bill for NY, they have little impact on what goes on here.

This is not something new. The NRA is suing New York. But more than just the state of New York is trying to force banks to not only shun the NRA, but to shun gun manufacturers as well. The threats Como has made to the NRA; he may well have the right to make. We will find out who is more powerful in business; the NRA or the state of New York.

The NRA and gun groups make threats all the time. I can’t count the number of times I have seen gun owners call for the boycott of a business because they didn’t like something a business did.

If either side is going to be making threats; they better have the horsepower to back them up. As you can see in this thread many gun owners are not happy with the NRA. That’s an obvious problem.

For full disclosure; I’m not an NRA member. But with me its purely personal. The NRA turned their back on me when I was arrested for having a gun in my car in Illinois. I needed their help and they told me they don’t get involved in criminal arrests. That made no sense to me and makes no sense to me today. Changes come from decisions in criminal cases.

If gun owners as a group, and the NRA are as powerful as some of you believe; then gun owners need to find financial institutions that will finance the gun industry. It’s that simple.

If you think the NRA is doing a good job; pay them. The NRA has revenues somewhere north of $400 million a year. Yet the NRA says they are operating in the red. More than half of that comes from gun manufacturers. They just add that on to the cost of a gun; so all of us that buy new guns are helping to support them.

No matter how much money the NRA has; they can’t “buy” gun laws. I’m sure they can buy a few politicians here and there, but most politicians are going to vote the way their constituents want. Most voters want guns keep out of the hands of criminals and the mentally ill. Sorry, that’s just how it is and no amount of money will change that.

I feel a little bit sorry for the NRA on the bump stock ban. That big dog should have stayed on the porch with that fiasco. That was a screwup by the ATF. If they wanted to hurt the NRA; they couldn’t have planned it any better. And some gun owners fell right in line to blame the NRA.

If you disagree, and think money buys legislation get your check books out today and fire off a big check to your favorite pro gun group. I’ve been looking at a couple but haven’t decided yet.

• Admin Team

He probably should have studied up a little bit on how Wayne and his friends engineered the original takeover of the NRA.

It is interesting to consider that Oliver North is probably far more popular amongst the NRA faithful than is Wayne LaPierre or Chris Cox. 

I don’t see this settling down soon.  Not do I see it being particularly helpful to the organization at large or the 2nd Amendment in the near term.  

9 minutes ago, MacGyver said:

He probably should have studied up a little bit on how Wayne and his friends engineered the original takeover of the NRA.

It is interesting to consider that Oliver North is probably far more popular amongst the NRA faithful than is Wayne LaPierre or Chris Cox. 

I don’t see this settling down soon.  Not do I see it being particularly helpful to the organization at large or the 2nd Amendment in the near term.  

Depends on who the bad guys really are, and how it all gets exposed. The lawsuit will tell the tale if any of it makes it to the public. 

I think it matters more who is popular with the board. I can take Ollie or leave him. He doesn't know enough.

• Admin Team

Yeah, it’s hard to say. 

I’ve increasingly thought that LaPierre should step down over the last few years. But it’s a hard call on who should replace him. It’s sure not Chris Cox. 

I’ve got some thoughts on what advocacy should look like in 2019, but I just don’t know that the NRA is ready to change much from what they already are. 

• Like 2