RANGE USA Closed up shop in the middle of the night

For all who might be interested, note that Range USA indoor shooting range, closed its doors yesterday for good. Long time shooting range and training center, the closing caught many by surprise and injected a sad note among shooters. Not only was it a good place to shoot, but there developed a camaraderie among customers and staff there to sort of a brotherhood. Range USA will be sadly missed. Loss of an old friend.

No reason given for its closing. The range in Jackson Tennessee is closed also.

Well that's a shame. I never went there much, but I did like the place. The folks there seemed like nice people. 

That place has always been troublesome. These folks were the at least the third, maybe fourth owners. I thought they had finally made a go of it. The place has been Range USA for about what? 10-15 years now?  So they long outlasted any of the previous owners.  Like I said, nice place. But you could always tell they were struggling. I'm sorry to see it go. 

Range USA is just around the corner from my house and I did all my transfers there.   Plus I know quite a few of their employees.  I didn’t hear of any indication of their doors closing.  The owner does a one hour show on AM 600 on Saturday talking about Second Amendment and guns.

10 minutes ago, xsubsailor said:

It probably has something to do with Shoot Point Blank opening just a few miles away. The few times I've been in Range USA there's been very few people shooting but Shoot Point Blank always has a crowd.

Was the difference price to shoot or quality of the range?

Wow! I really enjoyed that place. Nice people. I took a couple of classes there, and my kids attended the kids safety and introductory classes there years ago.

I won’t say the name, but Tom Givens old place is run by the most unprofessional owner of any business I’ve encountered. It’s 15 minutes from my home, and I’d have to be held hostage in order to patronize that place again. 

I guess I’ll have to check Shoot Point Blank. From the commercials I’ve seen SPB seems to be ultramodern and clean. They also charge by the half hour.

One thing I’ll miss about RUSA is that on slow days you could pay your one hour range fee and shoot as long as you wanted until they needed the lane. The fast food bar wasn’t bad either. Also I had an issue with a transfer that was taken care of by the owner along with a return of fees and a personal apology. They will be missed.  

• Like 3

With the TWRA range and Point Blank squeezing them on both sides, it was just a matter of time.

I know a group of folks who quit going to RUSA when they refused to maintain / upgrade their ventilation system.  These folks were showing up at the doctor with their blood lead levels well above safe limits and they spent a lot of time shooting there.  

On the weekends, there was a big waiting list to use the range because they always seemed to have one side or the other "out of service".

I would go into RUSA from time to time to browse their consignment sales, but those started petering off a couple years ago.  I've bought some guns out of their consignment cases in the past but they were never competitive enough on new gun sales.   I'm sure Point Blank put an end to that part of their business.  Point Blank is a very respectable gun shop in addition to being a clean, modern indoor range with excellent ventilation.   A downside is that they won't allow work from a holster.

I will miss the RUSA cafe, though.  

Rusa was packed on weekends,he served the community well . Looks like Ill be driving to Millington or someplease

Point Blank is horrid . 

People forget ,Obama had the shelves cleared off at gun stores and ranges were packed,now we have an R in the WH with no fears of a gun grab

Edited by SonnyCrockett

Yup-I am one of the displaced employees-I started at Range USA almost 2 years ago and enjoyed my work there very much.

I was the armorer which is going to be a hard job to replace.I got my Sig and Glock armorers certificate while I was employed also.

• Like 1

Well glad I didn't extend my membership a few months back (Jackson). The one is Jackson was OK but the employees spent more time on their phones than doing anything else. Never had all the lanes working, would have the air and ventilation off and wouldn't turn it on unless you asked, etc... I had already decided to let my membership go out so not a huge loss. 

In Memphis it was originally Whitten Arms. I remember when it first opened. Lots of folks were excited to see it, but it didn't last. I think a lot of the problem was the building itself. I don't think it was built right to be a range and/or corners were severely cut in building it. Too hot in summer, freezing in winter, poor ventilation system and roof leaks. I know the current owners spent a lot on upkeep. 

They also hosted the local TFA meetings. No idea where they're gonna go.

I'm a member of MSSA and rarely shot there. But it is pretty close to me and I'd drop in occasionally to browse what they had.  I also did transfers there for quite a few years  Like I said, I did like the place and the people were very friendly.  Really sorry to see it go. 

krunchnik, can you give us a little more info on the closing? Some of us would like to know what happened? 

16 hours ago, SonnyCrockett said:

Rusa was packed on weekends,he served the community well . Looks like Ill be driving to Millington or someplease

Point Blank is horrid . 

People forget ,Obama had the shelves cleared off at gun stores and ranges were packed,now we have an R in the WH with no fears of a gun grab

The sales staff at Shoot Point Blank are so aggressive they prevent me from looking at their displays and possibly making a purchase from them.

The staff at RangeUSA  was pleasant, resulting in several purchases from them.

The biggest gripe about RUSA was that they didn't allow rifles (except at designated times if you bought their frangible ammo).  The biggest gripe I've heard about Point Blank is that they do allow rifles.  Supposedly, there is a rifle side, but several folks I know said you can end up next to a guy shooting a rifle if you are shooting a pistol.  Personally, I don't want to be next to a guy shooting an AR pistol or worse at an indoor range.  My ears ring enough already.  

I learned to shoot IDPA at RUSA back in 2007.  My wife and I took classes there.  The owner was a good guy, but I did get irritated and stopped putting guns on consignment after it took me a month to get my money once.  I hate to see the place close, though.  Every time I was there it was packed.  I wonder if the nobody-is-afraid-guns-will-be-taken-away current mentality led to their closing, or it's something else.  

• Admin Team

I’d love to see the details on this - and especially know if their employees found out the same way the public did.

But, I expect it’s a iteration on the theme of, “running a business is hard - and so are finances and taxes.” Expand your business in boom times and make dumb choices - it’s easy to run into the ground when things turn. 

56 minutes ago, MacGyver said:

I’d love to see the details on this - and especially know if their employees found out the same way the public did.

But, I expect it’s a iteration on the theme of, “running a business is hard - and so are finances and taxes.” Expand your business in boom times and make dumb choices - it’s easy to run into the ground when things turn. 

He did boom,all gun business's did in the Obama years . Shelves were cleared back then of inventory  and you could not find any ammo as well,sadly I and many others have memberships we paid for that we got beat on. I dont suspect a refund will be in the mail . 

I joke around with my gun shop owner friend ,you have to vote for Hillary  or you wont make money..Dems keep our hobby volatile .. LOL 

Everything I'm hearing makes it sound like they were still selling memberships and classes up until the end, not to mention gift certificates.  I imagine people with guns on consignment might also be a little anxious right now.

• Angry 1
1 hour ago, MacGyver said:

We All think owning a gun shop or a range would be cool; and it probably would be. But there is a lot to think about. Your target market and where you are would be critical. Over the last few years we have seen it go from $15~20 a day to $20 or more an hour to shoot. It would be great if you could get enough of that business to stay open. But as more ranges open; can you do that?

The outdoor range I go to went from $5 to $10 a day. I think that’s pretty reasonable for a range with a pistol range and a 300 meter rifle range. You might have to wait on the weekends for the rifle side. I mostly just shoot on private property anymore.

Online sales have got to be hurting them. If you want a M&P or Glock, most shops have you covered. But many of us are buying guns after our basic needs are met that the stores don’t stock. You can’t blame them for that; they can’t all stock what the big box houses stock. Some are happy to get the transfer fee; some are not.

My dream would be a monster range. Indoor range, outdoor range, pistol rifle, archery, with range fees low enough to keep people shooting and a gun shop that could match the online prices. I can’t afford the start-up, but I bet someone does it; we have two major players in the MidState that could pull it off.

• Like 1