RANGE USA Closed up shop in the middle of the night

Hold on now, its a little early to start hollering theft and such.  Yes, people are pissed and I don't blame them.  But it will take a bit of time to sort everything out. Legalities ya know. 

Over the years I've spoken to and dealt with Scott a number of times.  He always seemed like a really nice, stand up kinda guy to me. I'm sure he's in a world of crap if he had to close the doors. The truth is we have no idea what's going on with him.  So let's not jump to any conclusions. I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt until proven otherwise. 

I'm sure guns will be returned to their owners. Membership fees are likely just gone.  If they're bankrupt, how can they pay?  I'm sure that there's probably something in the contract about fees being non-refundable.  I truly do feel sorry for those folks, but life ain't fair. deal with it. 

Also remember that the news media is not our friend. So of course they're gonna push angry customers, rumors, legal questions etc. and smile the whole time. They're probably loving this. 

• Like 3
3 hours ago, Grayfox54 said:

Hold on now, its a little early to start hollering theft and such.  Yes, people are pissed and I don't blame them.  But it will take a bit of time to sort everything out. Legalities ya know. 

Over the years I've spoken to and dealt with Scott a number of times.  He always seemed like a really nice, stand up kinda guy to me. I'm sure he's in a world of crap if he had to close the doors. The truth is we have no idea what's going on with him.  So let's not jump to any conclusions. I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt until proven otherwise. 

I'm sure guns will be returned to their owners. Membership fees are likely just gone.  If they're bankrupt, how can they pay?  I'm sure that there's probably something in the contract about fees being non-refundable.  I truly do feel sorry for those folks, but life ain't fair. deal with it. 

Also remember that the news media is not our friend. So of course they're gonna push angry customers, rumors, legal questions etc. and smile the whole time. They're probably loving this. 

I wouldn’t wait. There are no legalities keeping them from returning property to its owner. Waiting could cause the property to become involved in a bankruptcy, if there is one.

I’m not saying anyone is a thief. I’m saying that I wouldn’t wait long if I didn’t get a response. Who knows maybe he has been in contact with the people that had guns on consignment, and has returned them. That probably won’t make the news.

On 4/29/2019 at 10:19 AM, DaveTN said:

Was the difference price to shoot or quality of the range?

RUSA was cheaper but less quality.   SPB is top quality and you pay for it.  

On 4/29/2019 at 12:36 PM, LINKS2K said:

I won’t say the name, but Tom Givens old place is run by the most unprofessional owner of any business I’ve encountered.   

So Tom Givens still runs it? 

• Haha 1
2 hours ago, Capbyrd said:

RUSA was cheaper but less quality.   SPB is top quality and you pay for it.  

So Tom Givens still runs it? 

Tom is still active, but exited the range business. Think he relocated to Florida.

3 hours ago, DaveTN said:

I don’t think the problem is that there aren’t enough indoor gun ranges, or gun dealers. The problem seems to be there isn’t a big enough market for all of them to survive.

Seems more folks are serious about buying guns, accessories, and ammo than actually shooting.

Edited by A.J. Holst

I went into Given's old place some years ago. I walked in the door and was immediately met with a major attitude problem. I've never been back.  I don't even know what name it goes by now. :down:

I went into Shoot Point Blank shortly after they opened just to check it out. Nice place well stocked, prices are a little high. I was seriously turned off my the aggressive sales people. The guy jumped me as soon as I walked in the door and stayed right beside me the whole time I was looking around. I didn't like that. The place has a corporate feel to it. Didn't care much for that either. I may do a little business there, but it won't be much. :shake:

I think Indoor Range Shooting is boring (so restricted, etc.) and way to expensive. I hope I never need to use an indoor range  as a primary shooting range for practice. I like to do a,little draw, rack, point, shoot. 

As of now, I am 60 miles from 3  outdoor Ranges (I ride MC there so call it a ride and shoot -- not concerned about MC gas at 60 and 70 MPG).:

Two or TN Wildlife and require a Hunting License (I have SR license for hunting and fishing for life), one is a National Forest Range (Golden Eagle Pass plus $1 or $2 with out the pass).

So Called Responsible Gun Owners (that everyone thinks should have a gun easily) abuse the places. I hope they keep them open, one TN Wildlife range limits hours due to abuse to   THU and FRI after noon and SAT / SUN all day. 

Not sure how that limits abuse -- but that is what the sign gives as reason for the reduced hours.  ???  

BUD's Sevierville is close (7 miles) and I do go once in awhile as guest of a friend that has a annual membership. I think $225 for a Veteran's annual.

BUD's also gives you a FREE 30 MIN Range Time with a gun purchase. 

16 minutes ago, PAULSHOOT said:

I think Indoor Range Shooting is boring (so restricted, etc.) and way to expensive. I hope I never need to use an indoor range  as a primary shooting range for practice. I like to do a,little draw, rack, point, shoot. 

My reason for Indoor is that I often have more free time in the colder months. Less yard work and such. Plus I can still shoot without worrying about my guns on rainy days. I prefer the freedom of outdoor but other than a couple of membership ones all the Public ones are a good haul to get to. 

12 hours ago, A.J. Holst said:

Seems more folks are serious about buying guns, accessories, and ammo than actually shooting.

Without a doubt. I’m in that category now.

The other thing to consider is many folks or their friends have property they can shoot on and don’t need a range.

8 hours ago, Vinson7936 said:

What about the people who just paid money for permit classes and memberships? 

You're probably not going to see that money back.  Merchandise will be sold off to other stores and what's not sold will be auctioned off.  Creditors will come first for what money is left after that.  I would imagine that those that had items on consignment there would be able to get those back at some point, but I hope you have your paper work.

If anybody needs a new dealer to do transfers in the Bartlett area,  I spoke with my guy today and he'll be happy to get RUSA's former transfer customers. He's retired and all he does is transfers. Good guy, reasonable prices. Send me a PM if you want his name and phone number. 

• Like 3
This was a good move by a local range I never even knew about....I will be dropping in !

1798086_664420940267698_417609701_n.jpg?

ATTENTION RANGE USA MEMBERS!

We at Bullzeye Range feel badly about you losing your memberships with no recompense, so we have a deal for you! We will be honoring your memberships as our own! Bring proof of your current membership and we will give you our member price until your Range USA membership expires!

Edited by SonnyCrockett
  • Like 6
3 minutes ago, SonnyCrockett said:
This was a good move by a local range I never even knew about....I will be dropping in !

We at Bullzeye Range feel badly about you losing your memberships with no recompense, so we have a deal for you! We will be honoring your memberships as our own! Bring proof of your current membership and we will give you our member price until your Range USA membership expires!

Smart business people grabbing the opportunity.

• Like 3
  • Moderators
13 minutes ago, SonnyCrockett said:

That’s actually where my wife and I did our permit classes. It’s not a bad range. It’s location out on Lamar is the thing that hurts it most, but the staff were always professional and friendly. 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Chucktshoes said:

That’s actually where my wife and I did our permit classes. It’s not a bad range. It’s location out on Lamar is the thing that hurts it most, but the staff were always professional and friendly. 

My wife and I took permit classes there also.  I haven't been there in years due to the location, but it's on my list for this weekend.

• Like 1
On 5/4/2019 at 9:07 AM, tnhawk said:

My wife and I took permit classes there also.  I haven't been there in years due to the location, but it's on my list for this weekend.

That's the old Range 8 facility on Lamar.  I haven't been in there in 20 years.  I figured it was no longer a public range, and I think they close up around dark (not a bad idea, in that part of town).

On 5/2/2019 at 6:54 PM, tnhawk said:

I don't know who owns this range but the individual behind the counter made it clear he didn't want my business..

Horrible owner. He even deleted my review of his place.

He has several five star reviews from new shooters taking his handgun permit class, but the negative reviews come from experienced shooters and people who reload their own ammunition. 

I have a membership at Point Blank here in Louisville KY. My daughter and I shoot there nearly every week for an hour or two. They are clean, inviting and at the price, a deal for a temperamental teenager who doesn't want to go shooting, but doesn't want to leave once she starts. I guess I am one of the bad guys for LGS as I went to the corporate and pay $60 a month for unlimited range time, with a guest, free transfers, a 5% discount on all purchases and a free class a month, oh and I shoot free at any location nationally. I get it, but as a consumer, that is a hell of a deal.

• Like 2
11 minutes ago, Murgatroy said:

I have a membership at Point Blank here in Louisville KY. My daughter and I shoot there nearly every week for an hour or two. They are clean, inviting and at the price, a deal for a temperamental teenager who doesn't want to go shooting, but doesn't want to leave once she starts. I guess I am one of the bad guys for LGS as I went to the corporate and pay $60 a month for unlimited range time, with a guest, free transfers, a 5% discount on all purchases and a free class a month, oh and I shoot free at any location nationally. I get it, but as a consumer, that is a hell of a deal.

Wow, I could just buy a month any time I get a couple guns coming in and basically get the range time free. Wish one was here in TriCities. 

• Like 1
11 hours ago, Murgatroy said:

I got listen to the owner of The Shoot Point Blank chain speak at an NRA event a year or so ago.  It is not a small LGS shop, but to me, Shoot Point Blank is the brainchild of a man and really, the good old fashioned American dream.  He observed the down-side of other ranges, studied why they went out of business, came up with a formula based on a lot of research cost/time/location/legal and seems to be one of the few successful range "chains" in existence.  He knows how important family-friendly is with regards to the 2nd Amendment in general, plain and simple, the 2nd Amendment needs new and more supporters.

Don't feel bad about having a membership there.  The owner is "all in" and this chain is not a franchise at this time.

• Like 2