Larue MBT-2S AR-15 Trigger

I just installed a Larue trigger on my truck gun, and it's GREAT. I bought it because they are selling for $87 right now. So, I thought, why not? Coming from a guy that owns 5 Geissele triggers, I probably won't buy any more Geisseles until the price of the Larue goes back up. Somebody asked Mark Larue why they were selling them so cheap. His response was that he wanted to get 50,000 of them in the field by Christmas. When it hit the market, it was $250.

So, if you have ever wanted a Geissele, but just couldn't bring yourself to drop that much cash, buy these with confidence. There are reviews out there comparing the Larue to the Geissele SSA and SSA-E. Everybody says the Larue falls between the SSA and SSA-E. I agree.

Anyway... helluva deal!

Larue Trigger.jpg

• Like 4

I definitely think it's the best trigger for the money. I run the Geissele SD-C on a couple ARs and the Larue on my .308 AR. I've also shot several other Geissele triggers. The biggest difference is shooting off the reset. If I ride the reset on both triggers the second shot is faster with less take up on the Geissele. I'm not saying the Larue is bad, it's not. The Larue just has a little take up where the Geissele is a glass rod.  The difference though is so small and price difference is so large it's hard to justify the Geissele.  When not shooting off the reset I feel they are fairly equal. Reliability has been great with both as expected from two reputable companies.  I like the Larue trigger so much that it has been a gateway drug to their Ultimate Upper Kits that I really want now.

• Like 1
7 minutes ago, cch2a said:

I definitely think it's the best trigger for the money. I run the Geissele SD-C on a couple ARs and the Larue on my .308 AR. I've also shot several other Geissele triggers. The biggest difference is shooting off the reset. If I ride the reset on both triggers the second shot is faster with less take up on the Geissele. I'm not saying the Larue is bad, it's not. The Larue just has a little take up where the Geissele is a glass rod.  The difference though is so small and price difference is so large it's hard to justify the Geissele.  When not shooting off the reset I feel they are fairly equal. Reliability has been great with both as expected from two reputable companies.  I like the Larue trigger so much that it has been a gateway drug to their Ultimate Upper Kits that I really want now.

I've read about the reset. Haven't had a chance to shoot it yet. Yeah, price has a lot to do with it. I wouldn't have spent Geissele money on my truck gun. 

I had a SSA-E once and it was great. But then I received a MBT2 (not long after first release I think) and it was great. I ended up selling the SSA-E and went with the MBT2 in all my ARs except one (ALG single stage in a carbine).

Great trigger especially with the $87 price. When I ordered my last with the Cyber Monday deal I was told by a rep they were over 60k sold already. I don't recall hearing the final before Christmas tally.

I have one of the straight bows coming Wednesday for my next build.  I built one of their ultimate upper kits for a coworker and it came with an MBT trigger and it sold me on them.

They have been $87 for  a while now and their shipping times are much faster, used to be months of waiting now I got my ship confirmation within a couple of days.

• Like 1
5 hours ago, FrankD said:

I have one of the straight bows coming Wednesday for my next build.  I built one of their ultimate upper kits for a coworker and it came with an MBT trigger and it sold me on them.

They have been $87 for  a while now and their shipping times are much faster, used to be months of waiting now I got my ship confirmation within a couple of days.

How did the ultimate upper kit turn out, which setup? Also let us know how the flat bow is compared to the curved, if any differences beyond trigger shape. 

5 hours ago, btq96r said:

I'm a convert on the flat bow triggers from Geissele, but I may have to pick up one of the new flat triggers from Larue on general purpose.  I wish they made it in single stage...but that's just me being picky.

https://www.larue.com/products/larue-tactical-mbt-2s-straight-bow-trigger/

I used to be that way. Now I'm a big 2 stage fan, even in light triggers like the Geissele National Match (I have a couple of those. I feel like I can control a 2 stage better.

Edited by mikegideon
On 5/6/2019 at 5:02 PM, cch2a said:

How did the ultimate upper kit turn out, which setup? Also let us know how the flat bow is compared to the curved, if any differences beyond trigger shape. 

the UU kit turned out really nice, the color was a little off from the lower I had but overall was a really nice kit and a decent price point for a solid rifle.  The only thing I wasn't a big fan of was the grip was a little chunky for my hands and the muzzle device.  I swapped out a VG6 and sold the included tranquillo and came out $20 ahead.

Ok, y'all know that I'm not an AR guy. I own a M&P-15 just for the hell of it. The thing is that I've never been real impressed by the groups I get at 100 yards. Maybe 3-4". I've also heard that the single best thing that you can do to improve accuracy in the AR is to replace the trigger. I just checked mine and it came out to right at 6 lbs. However, its very clean and crisp. I've never had any trouble shooting it. It actually feels pretty good to me. 

So do you serious AR guys think that installing this trigger would really help that much and tighten up my groups? Another thing is that for me this is a defensive rifle. I'm a little concerned about the trigger being too light for that purpose. What do y'all think? 

19 hours ago, Grayfox54 said:

So do you serious AR guys think that installing this trigger would really help that much and tighten up my groups? Another thing is that for me this is a defensive rifle. I'm a little concerned about the trigger being too light for that purpose. What do y'all think? 

I probably don't qualify as a serious anything guy at this point in my life, but I'm not gonna let that stop me!

Money aside, it certainly won't hurt anything. A crisp trigger at 6 pounds can be shot well, a crisp trigger at 3 or 4.5 pounds can be shot well with less practice by people with a more diverse level of skill.

If you're handy and have some idea of how mechanical systems work, consider polishing the mating surfaces in your current fire control group. If you hose it up, you can always drop this trigger in. If you don't, think of the satisfaction! 😉

2 hours ago, TomInMN said:

I probably don't qualify as a serious anything guy at this point in my life, but I'm not gonna let that stop me!

Money aside, it certainly won't hurt anything. A crisp trigger at 6 pounds can be shot well, a crisp trigger at 3 or 4.5 pounds can be shot well with less practice by people with a more diverse level of skill.

If you're handy and have some idea of how mechanical systems work, consider polishing the mating surfaces in your current fire control group. If you hose it up, you can always drop this trigger in. If you don't, think of the satisfaction! 😉

You mean the satisfaction of not changing the sear engagement angle and accidentally shooting one of the neighbor's ducks? 🙂 Messing with triggers can be a dangerous thing. You probably need a jig. My guess is that the Larue is cheaper than the tools.

1 hour ago, mikegideon said:

You mean the satisfaction of not changing the sear engagement angle and accidentally shooting one of the neighbor's ducks? 🙂 Messing with triggers can be a dangerous thing. You probably need a jig. My guess is that the Larue is cheaper than the tools.

I agree that it's not something to be done with no mind for repercussions, but then nothing gun-related is.

Someone with some mechanical aptitude, willingness to study the system until they learn it and how to safely interact with it, and willingness to work slowly and test thoroughly can safely do a trigger job.

Or they could just swap a couple of springs out, which may do wonders for a clean and crisp 6.5 pound trigger. And no grinding necessary! (That's humor, don't grind anything trigger-related. Probably don't even file. Polish, if anything.)

On 5/6/2019 at 11:23 PM, mikegideon said:

I used to be that way. Now I'm a big 2 stage fan, even in light triggers like the Geissele National Match (I have a couple of those. I feel like I can control a 2 stage better.

Not against 2-stage, just think they have a proper place.  I use a 2-stage SD-E in my scoped 16" AR, and a single-stage SD-3G in my 10.5" SBR with an EoTech.  Different systems for different roles; barrel, optic, trigger all tailored to use.

How's the reset on the LaRue?  I'm thinking of swapping the SD-3G because of the super short reset (it's a bit too short as I spent time with it), and this looks like it might be a single stage winner. 

6 minutes ago, btq96r said:

Not against 2-stage, just think they have a proper place.  I use a 2-stage SD-E in my scoped 16" AR, and a single-stage SD-3G in my 10.5" SBR with an EoTech.  Different systems for different roles; barrel, optic, trigger all tailored to use.

How's the reset on the LaRue?  I'm thinking of swapping the SD-3G because of the super short reset (it's a bit too short as I spent time with it), and this looks like it might be a single stage winner. 

I may be able to say if I can get out and shoot it. There are some good reviews out there that deal with reset.

And yeah, I can see why you would want single stage in a 3 gun trigger.