Jump to content
mikegideon

Larue MBT-2S AR-15 Trigger

Recommended Posts

I just installed a Larue trigger on my truck gun, and it's GREAT. I bought it because they are selling for $87 right now. So, I thought, why not? Coming from a guy that owns 5 Geissele triggers, I probably won't buy any more Geisseles until the price of the Larue goes back up. Somebody asked Mark Larue why they were selling them so cheap. His response was that he wanted to get 50,000 of them in the field by Christmas. When it hit the market, it was $250.

So, if you have ever wanted a Geissele, but just couldn't bring yourself to drop that much cash, buy these with confidence. There are reviews out there comparing the Larue to the Geissele SSA and SSA-E. Everybody says the Larue falls between the SSA and SSA-E. I agree.

Anyway... helluva deal!

 

Larue Trigger.jpg

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’ve heard this before from a few guys. I definitely want to go be them a try. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’ve got one of these in one of my ARs. It’s a fantastic trigger. Truly top notch and an affordable trigger upgrade for any AR. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I definitely think it's the best trigger for the money. I run the Geissele SD-C on a couple ARs and the Larue on my .308 AR. I've also shot several other Geissele triggers. The biggest difference is shooting off the reset. If I ride the reset on both triggers the second shot is faster with less take up on the Geissele. I'm not saying the Larue is bad, it's not. The Larue just has a little take up where the Geissele is a glass rod.  The difference though is so small and price difference is so large it's hard to justify the Geissele.  When not shooting off the reset I feel they are fairly equal. Reliability has been great with both as expected from two reputable companies.  I like the Larue trigger so much that it has been a gateway drug to their Ultimate Upper Kits that I really want now.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, cch2a said:

I definitely think it's the best trigger for the money. I run the Geissele SD-C on a couple ARs and the Larue on my .308 AR. I've also shot several other Geissele triggers. The biggest difference is shooting off the reset. If I ride the reset on both triggers the second shot is faster with less take up on the Geissele. I'm not saying the Larue is bad, it's not. The Larue just has a little take up where the Geissele is a glass rod.  The difference though is so small and price difference is so large it's hard to justify the Geissele.  When not shooting off the reset I feel they are fairly equal. Reliability has been great with both as expected from two reputable companies.  I like the Larue trigger so much that it has been a gateway drug to their Ultimate Upper Kits that I really want now.

I've read about the reset. Haven't had a chance to shoot it yet. Yeah, price has a lot to do with it. I wouldn't have spent Geissele money on my truck gun. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I had a SSA-E once and it was great. But then I received a MBT2 (not long after first release I think) and it was great. I ended up selling the SSA-E and went with the MBT2 in all my ARs except one (ALG single stage in a carbine).

Great trigger especially with the $87 price. When I ordered my last with the Cyber Monday deal I was told by a rep they were over 60k sold already. I don't recall hearing the final before Christmas tally.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have one of the straight bows coming Wednesday for my next build.  I built one of their ultimate upper kits for a coworker and it came with an MBT trigger and it sold me on them.

They have been $87 for  a while now and their shipping times are much faster, used to be months of waiting now I got my ship confirmation within a couple of days.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, FrankD said:

I have one of the straight bows coming Wednesday for my next build.  I built one of their ultimate upper kits for a coworker and it came with an MBT trigger and it sold me on them.

They have been $87 for  a while now and their shipping times are much faster, used to be months of waiting now I got my ship confirmation within a couple of days.

How did the ultimate upper kit turn out, which setup? Also let us know how the flat bow is compared to the curved, if any differences beyond trigger shape. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, btq96r said:

I'm a convert on the flat bow triggers from Geissele, but I may have to pick up one of the new flat triggers from Larue on general purpose.  I wish they made it in single stage...but that's just me being picky.

https://www.larue.com/products/larue-tactical-mbt-2s-straight-bow-trigger/

I used to be that way. Now I'm a big 2 stage fan, even in light triggers like the Geissele National Match (I have a couple of those. I feel like I can control a 2 stage better.

Edited by mikegideon

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/6/2019 at 5:02 PM, cch2a said:

How did the ultimate upper kit turn out, which setup? Also let us know how the flat bow is compared to the curved, if any differences beyond trigger shape. 

the UU kit turned out really nice, the color was a little off from the lower I had but overall was a really nice kit and a decent price point for a solid rifle.  The only thing I wasn't a big fan of was the grip was a little chunky for my hands and the muzzle device.  I swapped out a VG6 and sold the included tranquillo and came out $20 ahead.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ok, y'all know that I'm not an AR guy. I own a M&P-15 just for the hell of it. The thing is that I've never been real impressed by the groups I get at 100 yards. Maybe 3-4". I've also heard that the single best thing that you can do to improve accuracy in the AR is to replace the trigger. I just checked mine and it came out to right at 6 lbs. However, its very clean and crisp. I've never had any trouble shooting it. It actually feels pretty good to me. 

So do you serious AR guys think that installing this trigger would really help that much and tighten up my groups? Another thing is that for me this is a defensive rifle. I'm a little concerned about the trigger being too light for that purpose. What do y'all think? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, Grayfox54 said:

 

So do you serious AR guys think that installing this trigger would really help that much and tighten up my groups? Another thing is that for me this is a defensive rifle. I'm a little concerned about the trigger being too light for that purpose. What do y'all think? 

I probably don't qualify as a serious anything guy at this point in my life, but I'm not gonna let that stop me!

Money aside, it certainly won't hurt anything. A crisp trigger at 6 pounds can be shot well, a crisp trigger at 3 or 4.5 pounds can be shot well with less practice by people with a more diverse level of skill.

If you're handy and have some idea of how mechanical systems work, consider polishing the mating surfaces in your current fire control group. If you hose it up, you can always drop this trigger in. If you don't, think of the satisfaction! 😉

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, TomInMN said:

I probably don't qualify as a serious anything guy at this point in my life, but I'm not gonna let that stop me!

Money aside, it certainly won't hurt anything. A crisp trigger at 6 pounds can be shot well, a crisp trigger at 3 or 4.5 pounds can be shot well with less practice by people with a more diverse level of skill.

If you're handy and have some idea of how mechanical systems work, consider polishing the mating surfaces in your current fire control group. If you hose it up, you can always drop this trigger in. If you don't, think of the satisfaction! 😉

You mean the satisfaction of not changing the sear engagement angle and accidentally shooting one of the neighbor's ducks? 🙂 Messing with triggers can be a dangerous thing. You probably need a jig. My guess is that the Larue is cheaper than the tools.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, mikegideon said:

You mean the satisfaction of not changing the sear engagement angle and accidentally shooting one of the neighbor's ducks? 🙂 Messing with triggers can be a dangerous thing. You probably need a jig. My guess is that the Larue is cheaper than the tools.

 

I agree that it's not something to be done with no mind for repercussions, but then nothing gun-related is.

Someone with some mechanical aptitude, willingness to study the system until they learn it and how to safely interact with it, and willingness to work slowly and test thoroughly can safely do a trigger job.

Or they could just swap a couple of springs out, which may do wonders for a clean and crisp 6.5 pound trigger. And no grinding necessary! (That's humor, don't grind anything trigger-related. Probably don't even file. Polish, if anything.)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/6/2019 at 11:23 PM, mikegideon said:

I used to be that way. Now I'm a big 2 stage fan, even in light triggers like the Geissele National Match (I have a couple of those. I feel like I can control a 2 stage better.

Not against 2-stage, just think they have a proper place.  I use a 2-stage SD-E in my scoped 16" AR, and a single-stage SD-3G in my 10.5" SBR with an EoTech.  Different systems for different roles; barrel, optic, trigger all tailored to use.

How's the reset on the LaRue?  I'm thinking of swapping the SD-3G because of the super short reset (it's a bit too short as I spent time with it), and this looks like it might be a single stage winner. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, btq96r said:

Not against 2-stage, just think they have a proper place.  I use a 2-stage SD-E in my scoped 16" AR, and a single-stage SD-3G in my 10.5" SBR with an EoTech.  Different systems for different roles; barrel, optic, trigger all tailored to use.

How's the reset on the LaRue?  I'm thinking of swapping the SD-3G because of the super short reset (it's a bit too short as I spent time with it), and this looks like it might be a single stage winner. 

I may be able to say if I can get out and shoot it. There are some good reviews out there that deal with reset.

And yeah, I can see why you would want single stage in a 3 gun trigger.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Similar Content

    • By AKVAT
      Long story short, a smaller woman (me) just purchased a Mossberg 505 Youth model in 20 gauge so that I can try 3 gun with a shotgun that fits me, to see if I like the sport before I commit to a race gun.  I can roll with it "as is", but thought that it would be super nice to have an AR style adjustable stock with hand grip.  It looks like there are options for the Mossberg 500, but not the 505, and they are NOT interchangeable without possibly an adapter that I need to research more.
      Has anyone ever found such a replacement stock for a youth model shotgun in 20 gauge?  If so, what did you get and where did you buy it?
    • By AKVAT
      I am a smaller woman, not tiny. I know a lot about handguns and rifles, but not much experience with shotguns. I have competed with Handgun and rifle, not shotgun, until now. I am going to try 3 gun. It is informal and I was told I can use my side by side coach gun. It’s new, needs some slicking up. I bought it to try with Cowboy Action. I really don’t want to purchase another shotgun for 3 gun when I am not sure if I am going to like it or not.
      The stock is a little long on my shotgun, and the recoil pad is quite deep. I am wondering if anyone knows of a good, thin pad, maybe gel that I can replace the original pad with so it is not such a stretch for my fingers to reach the double triggers. I just bought a 3 gun vest that has built in recoil pads.  Ideas? Experiences?
    • By gregintenn
      https://palmettostatearmory.com/ddi-ak47-7-62x39-black-under-folder-rifle-ddi474150mbpuf.html?trk_msg=G3E6S9AEBT1KB1HVN7HVO72J9K&trk_contact=J0O6F96VK99PH79FM828GOBMF8&trk_sid=57HKC02PBGR465LVIKRK1BOMR0&utm_source=Listrak&utm_medium=email&utm_term=https%3a%2f%2fpalmettostatearmory.com%2fddi-ak47-7-62x39-black-under-folder-rifle-ddi474150mbpuf.html&utm_campaign=Daily+Deal+Email&utm_content=12%3a00+Email
      $399 and free shipping is as cheap as I can recall in a LONG time.

The Fine Print

Tennessee Gun Owners (TNGunOwners.com) is the premier Community and Discussion Forum for gun owners, firearm enthusiasts, sportsmen and Second Amendment proponents in the state of Tennessee and surrounding region.

TNGunOwners.com (TGO) is a presentation of Enthusiast Productions. The TGO state flag logo and the TGO tri-hole "icon" logo are trademarks of Tennessee Gun Owners. The TGO logos and all content presented on this site may not be reproduced in any form without express written permission. The opinions expressed on TGO are those of their authors and do not necessarily reflect those of the site's owners or staff.

Before engaging in any transaction of goods or services on TGO, all parties involved must know and follow the local, state and Federal laws regarding those transactions. TGO makes no claims, guarantees or assurances regarding any such transactions.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to the following.
Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines