Removing Gun blue?

Guest fastshotivy

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The best thing I have seen was a cloth...yep, cloth, wheel on a grinder!

They use a steel wool wheel to polish and a cloth wheel to remove blue!

Put a polishing compound on the wheel and let er rip, bare metal in seconds

Available at midway. I have one of the steel wool wheels on my ginder and all old guns get smoothed up of surface pits or rust with it nicely.

http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=968247

http://www.midwayusa.com/browse/BrowseProducts.aspx?tabid=8&categoryid=13144&categorystring=649***8828***&pageNum=1

How is a good way to remove the blue on a shot gun

I used a glass bead blaster with the finest glass bead I could get, took a couple of minutes.

Then I polished it to a near mirror finish. That took several hours.

and how do I re blue it?

You don’t; you take it to someone that does bluing.

Naval Jelly is said to remove bluing, and any rust as well.

I'm planning to use Blue Wonder on an old 22 rifle I own. BW is a semi-hot DYI product. I haven't used it yet, but I've read some good reports.

BTW, this is an old beat up rifle w/ little real $ value. If your shotgun is collectible, I'd suggest a professional refinish.

I just re blued my old Winchester 69A, not a shotgun but a cheap 22 rifle that I've owned for about 55 years. It had been abused, neglected, wet, dropped and showed it. It had some light rust, almost to the point of pitting. I used #600 grit paper and 0000 steel wool. I was able to take the surface down to bright metal with not much work. I blued it using Brownells Oxpho-blue creme formula. I was impressed with the results. I tried the same product on an old pistol where the bluing had worn thin. Same results, very pleased.

Disclaimer: I am in no way connected with Brownells, just satisfied user of the product.

oldogy

Now on to the stock.

I use a wire wheel on a grinder to take off the old blue. Then use isopropyl alcohol to wipe down the barrel to remove all grease, oil, etc. I then steel wool (0000) the barrel and go over it again with alcohol. I then apply Brownell's Oxpho Blue, although I use the liquid. Apply a few coats, steel wool the barrel, and then put on your final coat(s). Oil the barrel well. Have a drink and be proud of yourself!

Dilute muriatic acid to 50% strength with water. Immerse the item(s) you are wanting to take the bluing off of into solution and let sit.

Remove from bath and rinse with cold, clean water.

Muriatic acid can be found anywhere pool cleaning supplies are sold. WalMart for example.

like I said, look in your cabinet. Take ordinary vinegar. It works great. No need to go buy something special.

I did it to a black powder revolver I had to make the pistol a white steel model.

I can't imagine any of the other processes working better. I soaked the gun parts in a tray. You might have to invent a tray considering the length of a barrel. Probably did not take more than 5 minutes if even that.

I am guessing a rag soaked in vinegar and wiped on the barrel would work just as well. Might take a few minutes longer.

like I said, look in your cabinet. Take ordinary vinegar. It works great. No need to go buy something special.

I did it to a black powder revolver I had to make the pistol a white steel model.

I can't imagine any of the other processes working better. I soaked the gun parts in a tray. You might have to invent a tray considering the length of a barrel. Probably did not take more than 5 minutes if even that.

I am guessing a rag soaked in vinegar and wiped on the barrel would work just as well. Might take a few minutes longer.

Who woulda thunk it. Another use for the Miracle Cure!

http://www.cromwell-intl.com/garand/debluing.html