Thinking about coming back to Sevier County area

Guest OMCHamlin

Love Addition was at the Fred Atchley bridge, Frog Alley was McMahon Addition, between old and new Newport highway.  Think of Gospel Light Baptist church.

Riding across Old Shaky below the dam and wondering if you were going to make it.

Guest OMCHamlin
Just now, bubbiesdad said:

Love Addition was at the Fred Atchley bridge, Frog Alley was McMahon Addition, between old and new Newport highway.  Think of Gospel Light Baptist church.

Riding across Old Shaky below the dam and wondering if you were going to make it.

Ah, okay, well, it's been a while I guess I've misplaced a few places. Yeah, now I remember Love Addition, if I'm right, could you drive through Love Addition, and up a winding dirt road and back down out to Allensville Rd?

Probably best not to buy in Sevier County.  The Tourist trade has really driven land prices sky high.  I have friend that lives in Sevier County, on Douglas Lake.  He's in the process of looking for a farm and has zeroed in on Jefferson County.  He told me the other day that as soon as you cross into the Jeff County, the land prices drop by about 25%.  Land in Blount County is also on the rise, also due in some part to the Tourist trade, but also because there is a lot of flat land for building subdiviions.  Blount County does their best to throttle new growth though, with very stringent subdivision codes. But it's starting to get out of hand there.  Traffic is pretty bad in Maryville at rush hour.

Probably your best bit is Jefferson, Hamblen or Cock Counties, if you are looking to stay close to the Sevierville area.  Personally, I'd go to a bit further north north in East Tennessee and look around Greenville and Johnson City or further south around Athens or Cleveland.

ORSA is on the west side of Oak Ridge and has a 1000 yard range, as well as shotgun, pistol, and other ranges. Not sure of the cost.  But I would guess it to be in the !75 to 200 range. 

Guest OMCHamlin

Well, again, I thank you folks for the replies and advice, and the advice will NOT go unheeded, I'll go down thatta way, but will spend time looking at alternatives that make going to that area less then the current 12 hour drive that it is for me.

And for those that helped me reminisce about the old Sevierville, thank you as well, just hearing a bologna sandwich from Yetts (I remember he had is guns in a back room) brought back warm memories. Without regard to what it has become these days, it was a pretty cool place to grow up in the 70's...

• 4 months later...
Guest OMCHamlin

Well, just got back from a week in Sevier County, starting (without us knowing it) on a Saturday night of hot rod weekend in Gatlinburg. Man, I remember now how bad tourist traffic could get, but this seemed even worse! Had a good time, looked at some properties, and realized how right you guys were, they have never stopped building stuff there, have they?

Heck, our old house there was actually on the market but under a pending contract. It had changed so much (additions and remodelings) I don't know that I'd want to walk through it.

I did find a few neat things at both of the local flea markets nearby, and had a couple of good meals, one at the Peddler Steakhouse, where I used to work before going off to the Navy. Place was filled up at opening on a weeknight.

Well, you really can't go home, I guess...

On 5/14/2019 at 6:42 AM, bubbiesdad said:

My parent's lived in Love Addition before building a house.

My Dad still does work for Carl Ownby.

My Papaw worked for the Sheriff's Department for about 30 years. He used to talk about pigeon shoots at the courthouse. I remember picking up seed at Temples feed store.

Lots of good memories and very few of them involve the tourist traps...

On 9/26/2019 at 10:06 PM, Ronald_55 said:

My parent's lived in Love Addition before building a house.

My Dad still does work for Carl Ownby.

My Papaw worked for the Sheriff's Department for about 30 years. He used to talk about pigeon shoots at the courthouse. I remember picking up seed at Temples feed store.

Lots of good memories and very few of them involve the tourist traps...

When I was a kid in the mid 60's, we lived across the street from Carl Ownby. When I had my appendix out in 66, he gave me a pocket knife. His wife was a sweet lady.

• Like 2
  • 9 months later...
Guest OMCHamlin

Home, (in Virginia) once again, from a week at the in-laws in AR and then several days looking at houses in East Tennessee again. Although we stayed in Sevierville, we looked in Oneida, Crossville, Wilder and a few other areas. Problem NOW is, while this was a long term plan and goal for us, we're now suddenly competing with city folk, who, apparently after seeing their crime soar and blocks burning or Interstates shut down by riot-testers, suddenly think they should also move to the hills. It was a busy several days, but the market is such that we actually lost several appointments to look at a house because the owner had just shown and accepted another.

Problem is, I just ain't ready to buy a house based off of a Zillow listing, even with a video walk through, would YOU?

On the plus side, apparently while having a couple safes full of guns in VA makes me a "gun nut", ONLY having a couple safes full of guns in TN makes me an average Joe...

1 hour ago, OMCHamlin said:

Home, (in Virginia) once again, from a week at the in-laws in AR and then several days looking at houses in East Tennessee again. Although we stayed in Sevierville, we looked in Oneida, Crossville, Wilder and a few other areas. Problem NOW is, while this was a long term plan and goal for us, we're now suddenly competing with city folk, who, apparently after seeing their crime soar and blocks burning or Interstates shut down by riot-testers, suddenly think they should also move to the hills. It was a busy several days, but the market is such that we actually lost several appointments to look at a house because the owner had just shown and accepted another.

Problem is, I just ain't ready to buy a house based off of a Zillow listing, even with a video walk through, would YOU?

On the plus side, apparently while having a couple safes full of guns in VA makes me a "gun nut", ONLY having a couple safes full of guns in TN makes me an average Joe...

Houses are selling within 1-3 days of listing according to a buddy that does a lot in Sevierville and surrounding. Neighbor overpriced theirs by 10k and sold it within 2 days and had people waiting, as you made reference to. I got lucky because the new owner is just like me which is, um, unique 😁.

And yes SAFE in the singular sense should be followed by IN THAT ROOM meaning there are others in the house 😂

It's actually been a hot seller's market in Eastern TN for awhile.  It started before the most recent stuff.  We've had a shortage of listings for months, and now that is going to be really exacerbated by the city slickers from other parts that suddenly really want out of where they are and are almost desperate to buy in a wonderful part of the world like ---- Eastern Tennessee!   I've been surprised that the demand hasn't yet really moved prices up all that much, but classic economics says that's absolutely next.  So anyone thinking about moving here needs to have a realistic plan, be able to make smart decisions quickly, and have a very good realtor.  

The Tri cities down to Morristown or so is a bit calmer. However values are trending higher in general. The covid will probably make things a little jiggy and I'm starting to see the market trend to generally weird.