Students Walk out of Colorado School Shooting Vigil

Well these kids get it!  There may be hope yet!!!

Students walk out of Colorado school shooting vigil, saying their trauma was being politicized

HIGHLANDS RANCH, Colo. – Students who survived Tuesday's suburban Denver school shooting walked out of a gun-control rally Wednesday night in anger and tears over concerns the event inappropriately politicized their grief.

While primarily billed as a vigil to honor high school shooting victim Kendrick Castillo, most of the speakers at the 2,000-person rally were politicians and gun-control advocates pushing Congress to change the nation's gun laws.

After about 30 minutes, hundreds of students from the STEM School stormed out yelling "this is not for us," "political stunt" and "we are people, not a statement."

Outside, the traumatized shooting survivors thrust lighted cellphones into the air and chanted "mental health, mental health," as their hands and voices shook in the cold rain. Angry students pushed and screamed at journalists, demanding to see photos they had taken.

Interview requests made by a USA TODAY reporter were rebuffed; multiple students said they had agreed not to talk to journalists.

Frustrated, crying and angry, #STEMschool shooting victims hold an impromptu vigil in the rain Wednesday after leaving a gun-control vigil they felt inappropriately politicized their trauma. (They asked that I not photograph their faces close up, and I respected their wishes.) pic.twitter.com/cksRXGtYQA

— Trevor Hughes (@TrevorHughes) May 9, 2019

Many students appeared unaware the event was organized by the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence. Sen. Michael Bennet and Rep. Jason Crow, both Democrats, both spoke at length about the need for federal action. The Brady Campaign invited reporters to cover the event.

In an apology issued afterward, the Brady Campaign said all efforts should be focused on supporting the STEM students, families and faculty members.

"We are deeply sorry any part of this vigil did not provide the support, caring and sense of community we sought to foster and facilitate and which we know is so crucial to communities who suffer the trauma of gun violence," the statement said.

Some STEM students and family members held a private vigil earlier in the day. They said the public and journalists were kept out to permit anguished students and their parents a chance to grieve together away from the media spotlight into which they have unwillingly been thrust.

Castillo, 18, was killed and eight students were wounded Tuesday when two teens opened fire in classrooms at the K-12 school specializing in science and math. Castillo, three days away from completing high school, and two classmates charged one of the shooters at his school. The avid hunter and fisherman was killed.

Colorado Gov. Jared Polis signed "red flag" legislation last month providing judges with the power to temporarily remove firearms from people believed to be at high risk of harming themselves or others.

• Like 1

These kids want to feel safe at school. They want to know that a system is in place to engage and stop a shooter when it happens.

They know disarming law abiding citizens isn’t it.

They have been told when you see something; say something. When they do; they expect that information to be acted on by local law enforcement. The time of protecting people because there is no “direct” threat or protecting what some seem to perceive as their 2nd amendment rights is over. When a threat is transmitted whether in person or over the net; Police will respond with an investigation of that threat. If that investigation determines a threat was made; that person will be taken into custody and their guns seized. That’s what is going to happen because that is what the American people want.

• Like 1

Going to be interesting to see how they try to spin this into "Alt right terrorism" when the perpetrators were an adult registered democrat who hates Christians and a teen age transgender accomplice....

https://dailycaller.com/2019/05/08/colorado-shooter-hatred-christianity/

The motive of the Colorado shooting suspects “went beyond bullying and involved revenge and anger towards others at the school,” sources close to the investigation told the Denver Channel.

The shooting resulted in one death with eight other students wounded.

At least one of the suspects had been in therapy and illegally used drugs, the Channel also reported. One of the suspects, Devon Erickson, is an adult while the other unnamed suspect is a minor. (RELATED: Sheriff: 2 Suspects In Custody Following School Shooting Outside Denver, 8 Injured)

Facebook posts reveal that 18-year-old Devon Erickson previously expressed hatred for Christians, according to Heavy.

“You know what I hate? All these Christians who hate gays, yet in the ible, it says in Deuteronomy 17:12-13, if someone doesn’t do what their priest tells them to do, they are supposed to die. It has plenty of crazy stuff like that,” Erickson wrote in one Facebook post several years ago. “But all they get out of it is, ‘Ewwwwww, gays.'”

The second suspect, identified by police as a “juvenile female” was transitioning from female to male at the time of the attack, the Channel reported.

Erickson is a registered Democrat who has praised former President Barack Obama and criticized President Donald Trump in posts on social media. He put a “celebrate pride” filter on one of his photos in 2015, according to Heavy.

Erickson’s social media activity shows he is from Highlands Ranch, Colorado, and likes video games, paintball, skateboarding and The Walking Dead, according to Heavy. The publication also revealed Erickson’s Instagram profile photo of a demonic red skull smoking against a black background.

A car towed from Erickson’s home “has ‘F*** SOCIETY’ spray painted on the side” as well as the number “666” and “what looks like a pentagram sprayed on the hood.”

Car towed from #stemshooting suspect’s home apparently has “F*** SOCIETY” spray painted on the side. Also “666” and a what looks like a pentagram sprayed on the hood. pic.twitter.com/e6QX3lq4v3

— John Fenton (@higuysimjohn) May 8, 2019

The shooting took place at STEM School Highlands Ranch, a charter school that serves kids in grades K-12 about 15 miles from Denver, The Associated Press reported.

• Like 1

I'm proud of these kids that walked out of the Political forum that the politicians were putting on. The politicians and their groups and the Press never pass up an opportunity to use something like they to apply to their agenda and these kids didn't allow them their ability to do it. The News medias and politician groups don't give young people enough credit where credit is due. Kids are much more resilient than the New medias and groups line Brady Campaign give them credit for. Well the kids showed oth of them last night that they don't need either to heal their wounds, pick themselves up and continue to move forward. I don't think these kids need a bunch of counselors trying to get inside their heads either. If everyone will just allow them to be themselves and talk with each other they will get through this with each one helping each other. I'm quite sure they are going to heal much faster talking amongst themselves and being around their friends. I know I would much rather talk to a close friend I grew up with then some book worm counselor that does not even know their name.........JMHO

• Like 1
19 minutes ago, bersaguy said:

Well the kids showed oth of them last night that they don't need either to heal their wounds, pick themselves up and continue to move forward. I don't think these kids need a bunch of counselors trying to get inside their heads either. If everyone will just allow them to be themselves and talk with each other they will get through this with each one helping each other. I'm quite sure they are going to heal much faster talking amongst themselves and being around their friends. 

With all due respect; I disagree. These kids need all the help they can get, and they are owed it. Pick yourself up and dust yourself off is probably one of the reasons 6,000 vets commit suicide a year.

• Like 3
2 hours ago, DaveTN said:

With all due respect; I disagree. These kids need all the help they can get, and they are owed it. Pick yourself up and dust yourself off is probably one of the reasons 6,000 vets commit suicide a year.

I have the utmost respect for your reply but if the Vets would stand together as the students did and they talked to each other more and were able to vent their feelings and thoughts to fellow Vets I believe there would be less taking their own lives. Who do the vets have to turn to if not other vets. Counselors and Doctors and neither one of them have a real stake in what is going on in a vets head that other vets do have so vets talking to Vets is what is needed most and that is the types of programs the Government needs to build for the Vets. Not just shoving pills at them and having some person that has never been on the battle field sit them down and say I know how you feel when most of them can't or don't really know how they are feeling. The ones that need to be talking to the others are the ones that are also are picking themselves up and dusting themselves off ..........JMHO

1 hour ago, bersaguy said:

I have the utmost respect for your reply but if the Vets would stand together as the students did and they talked to each other more and were able to vent their feelings and thoughts to fellow Vets I believe there would be less taking their own lives. Who do the vets have to turn to if not other vets. Counselors and Doctors and neither one of them have a real stake in what is going on in a vets head that other vets do have so vets talking to Vets is what is needed most and that is the types of programs the Government needs to build for the Vets. Not just shoving pills at them and having some person that has never been on the battle field sit them down and say I know how you feel when most of them can't or don't really know how they are feeling. The ones that need to be talking to the others are the ones that are also are picking themselves up and dusting themselves off ..........JMHO

Absolutely talking with others Vets could help. But patting each other on the back and crying together in your beer is not all that is needed for some. I like to simply address the topic and not make assumptions about what other people are thinking; but you appear to have a distrust for mental health professionals. That’s fine, they may have earned that distrust from you. You also seem to be assuming that none of those available to help have been in the fight; I’m sure that probably isn’t true.

Those kids aren’t old enough or mature enough to be dealing with this by being “left alone” to “talk it out”.

We see the call for Red Flag laws because of peoples failure to say something and law enforcements failure to act when they do say something.

Personally, I think a gun is the most humane way (other than Doctor assisted) to commit suicide. But people that generally make that threat are asking for help. Their families and law enforcement have the responsibility of providing that help. Part of that help is removing the guns… duhhh.

The other situation are those that threaten others with violence. Cops can’t get them help, all they can do is take their guns and put them in jail. And that is exactly what needs to happen. Then the families and the courts can try to get them help. Chances are, they won’t get help; but you just never know.

• Like 2
20 minutes ago, DaveTN said:

Absolutely talking with others Vets could help. But patting each other on the back and crying together in your beer is not all that is needed for some. I like to simply address the topic and not make assumptions about what other people are thinking; but you appear to have a distrust for mental health professionals. That’s fine, they may have earned that distrust from you. You also seem to be assuming that none of those available to help have been in the fight; I’m sure that probably isn’t true.

Those kids aren’t old enough or mature enough to be dealing with this by being “left alone” to “talk it out”.

We see the call for Red Flag laws because of peoples failure to say something and law enforcements failure to act when they do say something.

Personally, I think a gun is the most humane way (other than Doctor assisted) to commit suicide. But people that generally make that threat are asking for help. Their families and law enforcement have the responsibility of providing that help. Part of that help is removing the guns… duhhh.

The other situation are those that threaten others with violence. Cops can’t get them help, all they can do is take their guns and put them in jail. And that is exactly what needs to happen. Then the families and the courts can try to get them help. Chances are, they won’t get help; but you just never know.

I have never had an issue with a Mental Health Professional myself but have a few friends that have and they all seem to have the same opinion of them and they are all negative. Many of them seldom return to them more than once because they said they might spend 15 minutes talking to them before the prescription pad comes out and they are ready to move on to the next patient. They said that being able to talk with friends that have been there about their issues helps more than any pills. I think those students showed a lot of what they felt last night and they got to express their feelings when they had an open mic discussion and some of the students made it clear that the issue was not about Guns but about them and what they are feeling right now. One of the people from one of the organizations that was represented took the mic and apologized and that the students were correct about their opinions. 

I totally agree with you about the issue of if you see something say something and get help for it and if the police are there they should make a decision to remove the problem while it is still in the beginning stages before it balloons into something much worse. Let the courts settle it. That is what they are for. You are correct about whether the problem will get fixed or not because way to many times the courts don't do the right thing and the next time the court sees the people it is for something a lot worse. That is one of the reasons I have never been in favor of Restraining Orders. In far to many cases they turn out bad for the one that filed it.  If the problem is bad enough to need one of them it is beyond a piece of paper.............JMHO

16 hours ago, bersaguy said:

I have never had an issue with a Mental Health Professional myself but have a few friends that have and they all seem to have the same opinion of them and they are all negative. Many of them seldom return to them more than once because they said they might spend 15 minutes talking to them before the prescription pad comes out and they are ready to move on to the next patient. They said that being able to talk with friends that have been there about their issues helps more than any pills. I think those students showed a lot of what they felt last night and they got to express their feelings when they had an open mic discussion and some of the students made it clear that the issue was not about Guns but about them and what they are feeling right now. One of the people from one of the organizations that was represented took the mic and apologized and that the students were correct about their opinions. 

I totally agree with you about the issue of if you see something say something and get help for it and if the police are there they should make a decision to remove the problem while it is still in the beginning stages before it balloons into something much worse. Let the courts settle it. That is what they are for. You are correct about whether the problem will get fixed or not because way to many times the courts don't do the right thing and the next time the court sees the people it is for something a lot worse. That is one of the reasons I have never been in favor of Restraining Orders. In far to many cases they turn out bad for the one that filed it.  If the problem is bad enough to need one of them it is beyond a piece of paper.............JMHO

I agree with you on restraining orders. I can’t count the number of times I have been ask “If I get a restraining order, he can’t come around me, and the cops will protect me if he does”.

I’ve explained to them that the Police can’t protect them, all they can do is arrest him if he comes around. But even that isn’t true in many places anymore. I’ve seen on some of the cop shows where they tell people that if they find the offender, they will issue him a citation to appear in court and the Judge will decide. That’s just wrong and needs to change. If someone violates a RO or OOP; they need to be found, cuffed and stuffed, booked into jail, and then taken before a judge.

But what else can you do? You can only help for a short period of time and then the victims or the family have to make changes.

As far as the kids go, the school district failed to keep them safe. I understand that is hard to do when someone that is not afraid to die decides to commit a crime. But its only right that all mental health resources be made available to them. Talking amongst themselves is also fine; if that’s what they need to do. I would also bet that there are people who have been in school shooting that make themselves available to talk to these victims; but that’s just a guess.

I’ve seen mental health professionals not be able to help because their hands were tied, and I’ve seen them save lives. I’m sure it’s like anything else; person by person and case by case.

• Like 1
48 minutes ago, DaveTN said:

I agree with you on restraining orders. I can’t count the number of times I have been ask “If I get a restraining order, he can’t come around me, and the cops will protect me if he does”.

I’ve explained to them that the Police can’t protect them, all they can do is arrest him if he comes around. But even that isn’t true in many places anymore. I’ve seen on some of the cop shows where they tell people that if they find the offender, they will issue him a citation to appear in court and the Judge will decide. That’s just wrong and needs to change. If someone violates a RO or OOP; they need to be found, cuffed and stuffed, booked into jail, and then taken before a judge.

But what else can you do? You can only help for a short period of time and then the victims or the family have to make changes.

As far as the kids go, the school district failed to keep them safe. I understand that is hard to do when someone that is not afraid to die decides to commit a crime. But its only right that all mental health resources be made available to them. Talking amongst themselves is also fine; if that’s what they need to do. I would also bet that there are people who have been in school shooting that make themselves available to talk to these victims; but that’s just a guess.

I’ve seen mental health professionals not be able to help because their hands were tied, and I’ve seen them save lives. I’m sure it’s like anything else; person by person and case by case.

I agree with everything you have said here. So many laws tie the hands of the LEO's to really be able to do their jobs that they are actually limited to only a few options to help in many situations. I have never been an LEO but have friends that are and so many times they get frustrated by lack of laws that actually work in RO and OOP cases. They say in most cases the only option is to arrest the person that violated the orders issued by the courts. I think in many cases when that happens it just complicates the whole thing more and in many cases causes even worse situations down the road.........JMHO

19 minutes ago, bersaguy said:

I agree with everything you have said here. So many laws tie the hands of the LEO's to really be able to do their jobs that they are actually limited to only a few options to help in many situations. I have never been an LEO but have friends that are and so many times they get frustrated by lack of laws that actually work in RO and OOP cases. They say in most cases the only option is to arrest the person that violated the orders issued by the courts. I think in many cases when that happens it just complicates the whole thing more and in many cases causes even worse situations down the road.........JMHO

Not only are the hands of LEO’s and Mental Health sometimes tied, but with OOP, RO’s and the Red Flag laws; victims that won’t deal with problems because the aggressor is their main income (that’s a legitimate issue for many, I have no answer for that), and people that lie. As far as the people that lie; my feelings have always been that the accused is a willful participant in that scenario. Maybe not the first time; but any time after that.

It would be great if any of us could find a fix for any of this; but short of finding a way to make people get along; I don’t see it happening. That’s why I am so adamant and have no tolerance for those that threaten violence towards anyone; especially with a weapon (gun, knife, car, baseball bat, etc.) or threatening a mass shooting. If that is proven; lock them up until the courts deem them no longer a threat. My GAS meter sits at zero for them.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, swiley383 said:

World gets more scary every day and nothing is being done. The schools have got to be made secure.

Ya know, this is 2019, some options are not that hard or expensive to do. TV displays and Wi-Fi Cameras are not that expensive. I understand the problem with locking doors. But if every entry point had a camera, and the Office and Teachers lounge had monitors; I would think that would be a tremendous help to see a threat coming.

An immediate notification system (to security and teachers) so that when one person sees something, they can send out a message for everyone to look at a monitor, or action is needed.

Then the only issue you have is the response.

Still won’t stop a dedicated shooter, but could put him in someone’s sights quicker, and allow others to call for help.

EDIT: I would even bet that someone like Xfinity Security or Google Nest, would do this for free or on the cheap. Not much better advertising than that.

Edited by DaveTN
  • 2 weeks later...

There has been many discussions on how to keep our children safe in schools. Many of them look at what it would cost to equip our schools with cameras and other devices and costs. Will any of these items stop a bad guy with a gun? How much money are our children worth? I have not heard anyone put a money figure on what they are worth? Reason is there is no price you can put on even 1 childs life. It is common sense that bad guys not being able to get guns will never happen. So next best thing would be good guys and gals with guns!!!  That has been discussed in many different forms but no solutions have ever been reached. I have one!!! Unemployed Veterans!!!! We had 1000's of qualified veterans that would be more than glad to have a job. There are many men and women Veterans that have college degrees that would be more than qualified to hold a position in any school. There are many that could be Counselors, Coaches, sports equiptment managers, Custodians, and even plain clothes Security Officers. These are people that don't run from Gunfire but run towards it. These are people that know gun fire when they hear it. They would not need to be added to a budget because they would be employees. Start putting them in schools and you would have good guys/women with guns protecting our children against bad guys with guns. That would also take the burden off arming teachers and office personnel............This is just a thought and my opinion for what its worth. Can anyone come up with a better idea I would like to hear it.............??? 

57 minutes ago, bersaguy said:

Can anyone come up with a better idea I would like to hear it.............??? 

I’ll play.

There has been many discussions on how to keep our children safe in schools. Many of them look at what it would cost to equip our schools with cameras and other devices and costs. Will any of these items stop a bad guy with a gun? 

Yes, they will stop a bad guy with a gun. They can give the minutes/seconds advance warning to let the security people know where they need to be. This is 2019, we have the technology and it doesn’t cost a lot. Not only the cameras and monitors I suggest in the post above. But an audible alert, much like General Quarters on a ship; everyone is on alert and either has a job or a place to be.

But let’s be clear. You can’t stop an active shooter; they have the element of surprise. You have to make them unable or unwilling to fire their weapon. That means engaging and killing the shooter. All you can do is have a plan that will reduce the number of deaths and casualties.

Of course many schools and teachers will plead poverty. I suggest this could be done from donations. A lot of schools have done it, some from the school budget, some from donations. I’m sure it would depend on where the school is. You decide on the plan you want; you estimate the cost; you find a way to get the money.

Just like Police on the street, you will never have enough to be exactly where they need to be when the shooting starts.

So next best thing would be good guys and gals with guns!!!  That has been discussed in many different forms but no solutions have ever been reached. I have one!!! Unemployed Veterans!!!! We had 1000's of qualified veterans that would be more than glad to have a job. There are many men and women Veterans that have college degrees that would be more than qualified to hold a position in any school. There are many that could be Counselors, Coaches, sports equiptment managers, Custodians, and even plain clothes Security Officers. These are people that don't run from Gunfire but run towards it. These are people that know gun fire when they hear it. They would not need to be added to a budget because they would be employees. Start putting them in schools and you would have good guys/women with guns protecting our children against bad guys with guns. That would also take the burden off arming teachers and office personnel............This is just a thought and my opinion for what its worth. 

First off, I respectfully disagree with your premise that there is an abundance of Veterans with College degrees that would take a job in a school or be a security guard for what they pay. Police Departments and industry that pays well has a hard time finding them. Not only do they need to be educated; they need to not have anything disqualifying in their past. That knocks out a lot more than you might think. Personally I don't think they need a College degree. Because that would knock a lot of good candidates out also.

Secondly, most parents aren’t going to go for untrained people carrying guns around their kids.  Ever...Period. I served in the Navy, as a Security Police Officer in the Air National Guard, and as a Police Officer on a city Police Department. I would always give a Veteran preference in hiring; but having served in the military doesn’t make you qualified for this job. (Some maybe; but not most)

However… I don’t complain without having an answer; and its very simple. Have the people you want carrying guns in the school, whether it be Teachers or Veterans that want to work security; go though the same firearms training and training on the laws governing the use of deadly force, as your local Police; side by side. If a person doesn’t have the time to commit to that; they don’t have what it takes for this position.

On a side note I’ll add this: Your schools may not be real hip on that idea because when your Teachers start interacting with real cops; you are going to lose some Teachers to the PD.

The department I was on had an Auxiliary Police Unit. Have something like that so they can get good training on the street also. They rode with us and acted as Police Officers. We had several Teachers.

So to recap…. Early warning systems that work. Use the technology we have available to us. Trained people to engage when needed. Students trained what to do, and where to be in almost any scenario of their day.

I don’t think there is prohibitive costs in any of that.

I also think a lot of schools are doing more than you think they are. They just aren’t making a big deal of making it public.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, DaveTN said:

I’ll play.

Yes, they will stop a bad guy with a gun. They can give the minutes/seconds advance warning to let the security people know where they need to be. This is 2019, we have the technology and it doesn’t cost a lot. Not only the cameras and monitors I suggest in the post above. But an audible alert, much like General Quarters on a ship; everyone is on alert and either has a job or a place to be.

But let’s be clear. You can’t stop an active shooter; they have the element of surprise. You have to make them unable or unwilling to fire their weapon. That means engaging and killing the shooter. All you can do is have a plan that will reduce the number of deaths and casualties.

Of course many schools and teachers will plead poverty. I suggest this could be done from donations. A lot of schools have done it, some from the school budget, some from donations. I’m sure it would depend on where the school is. You decide on the plan you want; you estimate the cost; you find a way to get the money.

Just like Police on the street, you will never have enough to be exactly where they need to be when the shooting starts.

First off, I respectfully disagree with your premise that there is an abundance of Veterans with College degrees that would take a job in a school or be a security guard for what they pay. Police Departments and industry that pays well has a hard time finding them. Not only do they need to be educated; they need to not have anything disqualifying in their past. That knocks out a lot more than you might think. Personally I don't think they need a College degree. Because that would knock a lot of good candidates out also.

Secondly, most parents aren’t going to go for untrained people carrying guns around their kids.  Ever...Period. I served in the Navy, as a Security Police Officer in the Air National Guard, and as a Police Officer on a city Police Department. I would always give a Veteran preference in hiring; but having served in the military doesn’t make you qualified for this job. (Some maybe; but not most)

However… I don’t complain without having an answer; and its very simple. Have the people you want carrying guns in the school, whether it be Teachers or Veterans that want to work security; go though the same firearms training and training on the laws governing the use of deadly force, as your local Police; side by side. If a person doesn’t have the time to commit to that; they don’t have what it takes for this position.

On a side note I’ll add this: Your schools may not be real hip on that idea because when your Teachers start interacting with real cops; you are going to lose some Teachers to the PD.

The department I was on had an Auxiliary Police Unit. Have something like that so they can get good training on the street also. They rode with us and acted as Police Officers. We had several Teachers.

So to recap…. Early warning systems that work. Use the technology we have available to us. Trained people to engage when needed. Students trained what to do, and where to be in almost any scenario of their day.

I don’t think there is prohibitive costs in any of that.

I also think a lot of schools are doing more than you think they are. They just aren’t making a big deal of making it public.

I can agree with a lot of what your saying for sure and agree with a lot of your ideas. It was just an idea I had because there is a great many Vets that would like to be earning an income rather than sitting around doing nothing. I know of 3 here locally that are friends of mine that have all said they would take a job working school security and they all think there is a need for it. That is what got me thinking more about it is all.

46 minutes ago, bersaguy said:

I can agree with a lot of what your saying for sure and agree with a lot of your ideas. It was just an idea I had because there is a great many Vets that would like to be earning an income rather than sitting around doing nothing. I know of 3 here locally that are friends of mine that have all said they would take a job working school security and they all think there is a need for it. That is what got me thinking more about it is all.

That's not a bad idea. If they have the ability to it; they should pursue it.

I would like to do it and have the training to do it. But that doesn’t make me a good candidate. Even though I still get around pretty good; I don’t have the physical ability to run, jump, or fight with a young shooter (if it came to that). It wouldn’t be a job for a bunch of old retired guys like us.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, DaveTN said:

That's not a bad idea. If they have the ability to it; they should pursue it.

I would like to do it and have the training to do it. But that doesn’t make me a good candidate. Even though I still get around pretty good; I don’t have the physical ability to run, jump, or fight with a young shooter (if it came to that). It wouldn’t be a job for a bunch of old retired guys like us.

I fully agree with it not being an old mans job for sure, especially if they have to cover ground very fast. As many Cameras as possible need to be in play that would give as much early reaction as possible. I think keeping class room doors lock is also a good option. Don't make it easy for a bad guy to just walk into a classroom. As many early warning devices as possible are also a good idea. The more time it takes the bad guy to reach his goal the more time it gives the good guys to get on the scene.............JMHO