NRA, faithful stewardship

Well once again I went to the NRA web site and tried to send them a message expressing my concerns. And once again, it would not go through. It seems that the NRA doesn't want to hear from us peons. Yet another reason I'm pissed off at them. :mad:

If the NRA is going to come out of this strong, WLP needs to step down.   It doesn't even matter if he is responsible for any of the crap.   He should throw himself on the grenade, and turn leadership over to someone else.   If he doesn't, its always going to be to the detriment of the organization.   

• Like 3
7 minutes ago, Capbyrd said:

If the NRA is going to come out of this strong, WLP needs to step down.   It doesn't even matter if he is responsible for any of the crap.   He should throw himself on the grenade, and turn leadership over to someone else.   If he doesn't, its always going to be to the detriment of the organization.   

I agree. For this to continue to be an effective organization...head(s) must roll somewhere at the top. If Lapierre truly has the best interest of the 2nd Amendment and the people at heart...he should leave.

• Like 3
  • Admin Team

I work with a lot of distressed organizations.  One thing I can guarantee - if what’s making the press is this insane - what’s going on behind closed doors is a magnitude of scale worse.  

The unfortunate part of a lot of this is once the lawyers get involved - there are suddenly a lot of outside interests represented. Many of those are necessarily sort of winner take all and do not align with the interests of the organization. 

They may well survive - but it’s going to get worse - before it maybe gets better.  Unlike most organizations going through hard times - they’ve got a lot of people who are lining against them at the same time. 

• Like 3
3 hours ago, Capbyrd said:

Why would he step down? It’s not like he has a career or skill to fall back on. He has been a lobbyist all his life; its all he knows how to do and that is gone. His $5 million a year salary is all he has.

No, I don’t see him stepping down; the NRA will have to kick him out. But it sounds like he may have them in a legal quagmire that they can’t get out of AND fire him.

I’m not sure the NRA can recover and be capable of getting anything done. But it sure doesn’t seem like anyone is doing anything. Other than the prosecutors drooling over the opportunity to destroy them.

9 hours ago, MacGyver said:

One thing I can guarantee - if what’s making the press is this insane - what’s going on behind closed doors is a magnitude of scale worse.  

Documentary or 2-hour PBS Frontline episode worthy worse I'd bet.

I'm a bit surprised there's not a well publicized boycott yet, calling for no donations until Le Pew is gone.

I don't know if the whole Board voted on keeping Le Pew or just some executive part of it or what, but even though there's undoubtedly any number of good apples on it, the whole leadership is tainted now too just by association, and probably ought to be replaced.

-OS

• Like 3
  • Moderators

I say let them go. I wish all the people who have supported the NRA over the years would "switch" to either the GOA or SAF, but I know that will not happen.

Truthfully, the only thing that saddens me is that the left will consider it a huge victory and even take credit for the "failure of the NRA".

Really though, it looks like the NRA has nobody to blame but themselves.

• Like 4
8 hours ago, GlockSpock said:

Truthfully, the only thing that saddens me is that the left will consider it a huge victory and even take credit for the "failure of the NRA".

Yep....sad. We will not hear the end of it. 

• Like 1

Like many, both on here and elsewhere, I dont see the NRA recovering from this.  As was mentioned by someone earlier, they have shown their vulnerable underbelly to the wolves and the wolves are very hungry!  What makes it worse is that even though they had not been performing as they should have been, for years, there's no other organization poised to seize the reins that has enough momentum already to fill the void.  Some will try and we will pick one, but the NRA's long history and association, however unearned, with gun rights will not be surpassed for many years if ever.  I regret my life membership, and wish i had retained annual so i could hasten the end.  Lesson learned on my part.  I like TFA and am a member, and hear good things about GOA, but im undecided where to turn for representation at the National level.  The NRA is becoming just an embarrassment.  Too bad the size of the egos and salaries of key brass wont let them see or admit that they have forgotten that they are NOT the organization or the reason for the organization, they are just stewards that have long lost the vision we need.  They need to do the right thing and bail.  They've already made enough money off of us, just retire!

I read Carolyn Meadows Presidents column a couple days ago in my Rifleman mag and it made me want to puke on the page.  Second sentence " Its an honor to serve as NRA President and also to work along side Wayne LaPierre, Exc VP Chris Cox"..... bla bla bla with a crap load of other pocket stuffers.

The only way this out fit will survive IMO is it must be taken over by the very ones who sounded the alarm at the git go. Namely Oly North and the likes such as Alan West. Its going to be a drag out battle to right this historic organization and you need in honesty what Carolyn M said, "TO SERVE" not to be served as the leadership has so gainfully been doing. C Meadows didn't allude to a single issue of why North stepped down.  Its exactly this kind of arrogant façade that will turn off the cash flow much faster than if they just came out and explaned the situation and what they are doing to correct it. But Noooo, in NRA world, the Emperor has new cloths!  

• Angry 1
  • Moderators
10 minutes ago, Oh Shoot said:

And along with that, adios to Dana Loesch, their only pulchritudinous spokesperson/lobbyist.

image.png.223c9fcb07895f5991dfb488c50e204e.png

- OS

Along with Colion Noir, Cam & Co, and all the rest. All of that NRA branded content was produced by Ack-Mac and all those folks held contracts with them, not directly with the NRA. 

• Thanks 1
17 minutes ago, Garufa said:

And Chris Cox resigned yesterday.

He was "placed on administrative leave" 7 days ago. By Le Pew, the Board, or what?

Scuttlebutt seems that he was also trying to out Le Pew behind the scenes. He might turn out to be the good guy in all this mess, who knows.

- OS

So everyone is going to be gone except WLP? Wow…. You can’t make this stuff up.

I hate to see Dana go, but I suspect she will land on her feet, probably at FOX. I suspect WLP will land on his head.

Edited by DaveTN
11 minutes ago, DaveTN said:

So everyone is going to be gone except WLP? Wow…. You can’t make this stuff up.

I hate to see Dana go, but I suspect she will land on her feet, probably at FOX. I suspect WLP will land on his head.

Looks like ThePierre is firmly in control.

I hate to see Dana go as well but she worked for Ackerman, she didn’t have much choice.

Edited by Garufa
1 hour ago, bigun said:

They must really busy putting out fires and pointing fingers at HQ. I haven't got a call or a piece of mail for a couple weeks asking for nay begging for money.

Oh, I got a packet in the mail just yesterday.  Am considering calling and telling them in lieu of my lifetime subscription to American Rifleman they can put that money towards Wayne’s fancy lifestyle and overseas trips.

Edited by Garufa
  • Haha 2
  • Sad 1
On 6/26/2019 at 3:51 PM, Defender said:

Like many, both on here and elsewhere, I dont see the NRA recovering from this.

Easy.  Let one of the current 20-odd Democratic POTUS candidates get elected, and the dollars will start raining in again ...

Edited by No_0ne

One of the problems is that there are a huge number of members who blindly follow the NRA completely without question. They don't want to hear and just plain won't listen to any criticism at all. To them the NRA is almost God like and is to never be questioned. They will stand by and say or do nothing as the NRA tears itself apart. 

These's another board I visit where the owner is one of these die hard NRA followers. Any thread that gets the least bit critical of the NRA is immediately shut down. You can't solve problems when you won't even acknowledge that they exist. 

As near as I can tell, when King Wayne's performance was questioned, his reply was "OFF WITH THEIR HEADS!"

All this advertising and money mess happened on WLPs watch. The right thing to do would be for him to accept the blame and step down. Don't look like that's gonna happen.

What really concerns me is how are we gonna make the NRA know what we want when, as I've already mentioned, their e-mail won't work? Tomorrow I'll try a phone call. Maybe that'll go through. We need to contact them and tell them how we feel. Also as I've already mentioned, at the next gun show the NRA booth is gonna get an ear full from me! Maybe, just maybe, someone there can pass along the message if enough of us do that. More likely, those folks are just dumb volunteers who just send in the applications and money with no communication at all with the higher ups. 

• Moderators
14 hours ago, Oh Shoot said:

And along with that, adios to Dana Loesch, their only pulchritudinous spokesperson/lobbyist.

image.png.223c9fcb07895f5991dfb488c50e204e.png

- OS

I suddenly realized that I really need whatever it is that she's holding.

Edited by GlockSpock
  • Haha 1
8 hours ago, Grayfox54 said:

What really concerns me is how are we gonna make the NRA know what we want when, as I've already mentioned, their e-mail won't work? Tomorrow I'll try a phone call. Maybe that'll go through. We need to contact them and tell them how we feel. Also as I've already mentioned, at the next gun show the NRA booth is gonna get an ear full from me! Maybe, just maybe, someone there can pass along the message if enough of us do that. More likely, those folks are just dumb volunteers who just send in the applications and money with no communication at all with the higher ups. 

It appears to me highly unlikely that one of the problems here is the NRA not knowing what members want.