NRA, faithful stewardship

I received a fund raising call from a solicitor for the NRA this week.

The young man started rattling off all the benefits of my membership and how the NRA was the only organization fighting for me.

When I told him I wouldn't be making a donation, he said I was just giving up my Freedom and my 2nd Amendment rights by not donating. After all, the NRA was the only group fighting for me.

I stopped him right there, telling him he was incorrect on that point. "Well who else will stand up for you?" he asked.

I mentioned the GOA, NAGR, TFA, CCOA, and the local groups involved at lower levels.

He had no reply to that evidently on his script.

But he did ask why I wasn't sending money. 

I mentioned the controversy over La Pierre and his extravagant lifestyle, the questionable amount of payments to the PR firm, the salaries of his and the other VP's, the infighting among the board and officers, the ousting of Cox and North, and ended with the rumors of a home bought form him with NRA funds(don't know much about this, just have seen some comments of FB and some internet pop-up "news" articles.

I also told him that I felt the only way I would give again would be after Wayne Lapierre had resigned and a new Board was put in place. I just couldn't trust that any of them were doing more than lining their pockets with my/our money.

The young man thanked me for my comments and hung up.

It is so sad to see a one mighty protector of our Rights get to a state like this. 

I guess it's still true...Power corrupts. Absolute(or almost in this case) corrupts absolutely.

• Like 7
2 hours ago, hipower said:

I received a fund raising call from a solicitor for the NRA this week.

The young man started rattling off all the benefits of my membership and how the NRA was the only organization fighting for me.

When I told him I wouldn't be making a donation, he said I was just giving up my Freedom and my 2nd Amendment rights by not donating. After all, the NRA was the only group fighting for me.

I stopped him right there, telling him he was incorrect on that point. "Well who else will stand up for you?" he asked.

I mentioned the GOA, NAGR, TFA, CCOA, and the local groups involved at lower levels.

He had no reply to that evidently on his script.

But he did ask why I wasn't sending money. 

I mentioned the controversy over La Pierre and his extravagant lifestyle, the questionable amount of payments to the PR firm, the salaries of his and the other VP's, the infighting among the board and officers, the ousting of Cox and North, and ended with the rumors of a home bought form him with NRA funds(don't know much about this, just have seen some comments of FB and some internet pop-up "news" articles.

I also told him that I felt the only way I would give again would be after Wayne Lapierre had resigned and a new Board was put in place. I just couldn't trust that any of them were doing more than lining their pockets with my/our money.

The young man thanked me for my comments and hung up.

It is so sad to see a one mighty protector of our Rights get to a state like this. 

I guess it's still true...Power corrupts. Absolute(or almost in this case) corrupts absolutely.

I've always believed that their #1 priority was getting money from its members. I say this because I've seen them fail to fight too many times during their existence. 

3 hours ago, hipower said:

I stopped him right there....

I bet they hate getting people that are paying attention. :)

53 minutes ago, E4 No More said:

I've always believed that their #1 priority was getting money from its members. I say this because I've seen them fail to fight too many times during their existence. 

That’s why I dumped them many years ago. I wanted to fight my arrest for nothing other than having a gun in my car. My attorneys said it would cost a bunch, as it had already been decided at the Federal District Court level and would have to go to the SCOTUS. I went to the NRA for help and they told me they don’t involved in criminal cases. I asked; even when that crime is simply having a gun? They said “Yes”.

They have done a lot of good, but too many folks think Congress and the Courts “Fear” them. No one fears them; they just have (or had) the financial ability to fight gun cases in court. Its all about money; it’s always about money.

• Like 1
  • 2 months later...

I get it, even if I shake my head at it.  When the well is about to run dry, people are going to show up with an extra bucket to get ready for hard times.  Wonder who makes up the compensation committee that set all this in motion?

But seriously, if anyone wants to just throw away money at something other than an ex-wife, forget the NRA and give it to me.  I promise, I'll be as carefree with it as WLP and crew would be. 

The filing also shows perks for top officials that are typically associated with the corporate world, including charter and first-class travel with companions as well as dues for health or social clubs. Those costs were not detailed, though the filing says housing expenses were provided for five people.

During that same period, NRA spending plunged 22 percent for education and training, 61 percent for hunter services and 51 percent for field services, which includes organizing volunteers, fundraising for shooting sports and promoting the NRA at gun shows and other events, according to a previously released audit.

I'm actually kind of hoping all the accounting comes out to the public eye.  I'd love to see what's being tracked in whatever expense system the NRA uses.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1
  • 1 month later...
  • Administrator

I don't want to say that I've completely and utterly given up on the NRA, but whenever I see them post... anything... my reaction is usually severe eye-rolling and violent gagging.  Until the NRA board is absolutely purged of the Old Guard and WLP is unemployed, I will have no faith in the organization's ability to do anything effective for the 2A or to be relevant to the modern gun owner.

• Like 2
  • Moderators
13 minutes ago, TGO David said:

I don't want to say that I've completely and utterly given up on the NRA, but whenever I see them post... anything... my reaction is usually severe eye-rolling and violent gagging.  Until the NRA board is absolutely purged of the Old Guard and WLP is unemployed, I will have no faith in the organization's ability to do anything effective for the 2A or to be relevant to the modern gun owner.

I agree completely. I'm a lifetime member but have not sent any donations in awhile. 

• Moderators
25 minutes ago, TGO David said:

One way to purge the board is to shrink it to a manageable size that allows it to be effective in its role of providing governance and oversight. The NRA should be less than 1/3 of its current size. Of course once again, for that to happen WLP has to go. 

• Like 2
1 hour ago, TGO David said:

Unfortunately, I think you're right. In the end, the anti's are gonna win the fight. Huge loss for us. Thank God I'm old.

• Like 1
  • Administrator
6 minutes ago, mikegideon said:

Unfortunately, I think you're right. In the end, the anti's are gonna win the fight. Huge loss for us. Thank God I'm old.

Sadly it's not just the anti-2A crowd that are going to be the death of the NRA.  My opinion is that we've got at least one big name national trainer who has taken on the guise of being a champion for reforming the NRA who is really just trying to satiate an old grudge he has with them.

If he is able to get rid of WLP without killing the NRA in the process, my guess is he'd be happy with that - but if the patient dies in the process of killing the cancer, he'd be fine with that too.

• Like 1
35 minutes ago, TGO David said:

Sadly it's not just the anti-2A crowd that are going to be the death of the NRA.  My opinion is that we've got at least one big name national trainer who has taken on the guise of being a champion for reforming the NRA who is really just trying to satiate an old grudge he has with them.

If he is able to get rid of WLP without killing the NRA in the process, my guess is he'd be happy with that - but if the patient dies in the process of killing the cancer, he'd be fine with that too.

Yeah. I figured Pincus had less than pure intentions. This is so far above his pay grade. Anyway, everybody's loss. If the NRA hadn't plowed into the swamp when they did, we could be swimming in horrible gun laws. I like the smaller groups, especially GOA. They just don't carry enough weight to move anything much in the big cesspool. And, it's not something that can be built overnight. 

• Like 2
  • Administrator
1 hour ago, mikegideon said:

Yeah. I figured Pincus had less than pure intentions. This is so far above his pay grade.

Oh I'm not naming names.  It could literally be anyone.  There are many well known national trainers, of course.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2