The Screwtape Letters

This work is by CS Lewis and narrated by John Cleese.

Never knew it existed until my most liberal, beyond the Bern, pro life, pro 2A, very angry with God, wayward Christian, sent it to me. 

I'm still working through it as I can only digest it in small doses.

Dear Uncle Screwtape is instructing his nephew Wormwood, in the ways to influence man's nature to distract any thinking or wish to join the enemy, God.

It is the second bit off literature (Hill's Outwitting the Devil) that illustrates to me, the common-sense and practical approach Satan uses to exploit human fraility.

The bit on church is gold. What does the new (or jaded) Christian see? The body of Christ, or people I tried to avoid all week?

The nice thing is, you don't have to even believe in life after to benefit.

Believe in being better today than yesterday and do onto others is a great start.

Awareness of things that cause you not to think, wasting time on things that make you feel good vs. actually doing good is what builds wisdom, experience, and patience!

If you do listen, I will suggest the Wiki page, it gave me a better perspective of novel (over 3 audio hours) and a brief synopsis of what to expect

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Screwtape_Letters

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
6 hours ago, Capbyrd said:

We read this in school.   It's been a while.   I think my copy is still floating around the house. 

I found it on line to read after listening / while listening to Cleese. 

If demons did converse, they would sound like the stereo typical English elitist, condescending, pompous ass Cleese portrays.

No offense to you public school Brits out there, it's the colonial coming out in me.

I think he does a masterful job of adding personality to what is somewhat dry and instructional correspondence.

21 minutes ago, A.J. Holst said:

I think he does a masterful job of adding personality to what is somewhat dry and instructional correspondence.

Letter 3 starts at 13:17

How to sow discourse (with your mother)

At 18:26, Cleese adds amusement to the tone of the letter, which by this time, is the script in too many Christian homes, relationships and sitcoms.

Attended the play several years ago with a group of people who, we'll say, were probably not very happy with the last Presidential election outcome. Not friends, but close enough acquaintances for me to know the demeanor of most of them. Had dinner afterwards at ones' home. Never been surrounded by a more uncomfortable bunch of liberals in my life.

Great play, by the way.

Edited by beebee233
  • Like 1

From the Preface:

All devils are liars.

Using the assumption that liars include or omit facts to create a half truth or falsehoods so the audience does not apply critical or rational thinking to validate the narrative.

The liar doesn't want you to think, simply accept what has been presented to you.

Knowing the author (or speaker) is a liar, even if you agree with what is presented, it is suspect! There is a motive and agenda, use that wonderful brain to trust but verify.

From the Christian viewpoint, can we verify that Satan and his minions lie?

I point to Christ's temptation by Satan and how Satan twisted and perverted scripture. More simply put, taking bits and pieces out of the Bible and out of context to drive a narrative.

Screwtape also alludes to using similar tactics when he reminds Wormwood of the older brother in the story of the prodigal. Take those feelings and reinforce with resentment. The minions have a real opportunity because the older brothers and sisters hopefully don't have a relationship with God.

• Like 1
23 hours ago, AuEagle said:

Two books I recommend are "This Present Darkness" & "Piercing The Darkness" by Frank Peretti.

Both books describe demonic activity in modern day stories.

I apologize if this is a thread drift.

Both good reads. Deep on a different level.

• Like 1