OK...who left their gun in the car in Millington?

https://sports.yahoo.com/police-8-yearold-accidentally-shoots-mother-at-college-baseball-game-045915020.html

An 8-year-old boy found a gun at a college baseball game in Tennessee and accidentally shot his mother while thinking that it was a toy, police say.

The incident happened at a game between Memphis and UT Martin on Tuesday when the boy found the unsecured weapon in an antique car that was on display at Millington USA Stadium in Millington, Tennessee.

• Angry 1
17 minutes ago, Grayfox54 said:

Its a shame that something like this happens. My question is why was the kid rooting around in somebody else's car? 

Plenty of blame to go around here. 

The “antique car” was a WW II Jeep on display, something he article conveniently leaves out.

Regardless, plenty of stupid to go around here.

• Like 1

Yeah concealed carry...implies you are carrying it. Not leaving it lying around in a crowded place. 

First rule parents should teach kids: "Kids if you see a gun don't touch it and get an adult"

Failure all around. That kid will rightfully need therapy no matter how mom's conditions ends up. 

• Like 4

And if the guy had been able to LEGALLY carry the gun ON HIS PERSON and not be FORCED to leave it behind then this would not have happened either. 

I'm not saying he bears no responsibility. I'm saying if it had stayed secured ON HIS PERSON then this could not have happened. But because people (legislature) thinks that an otherwise law abiding person suddenly becomes a craven killer if he carries his gun anywhere near a school event he is forced to leave it unattended. Now should it have been better secured? Of course. But it does not get any more secured than when it is secured on your person. 

This is a good argument for an "enhanced permit" that would allow those so permitted to carry ANYWHERE so that they are not being forced to leave guns unattended in public when they enter areas that otherwise do not allow guns. 

• Like 4
11 minutes ago, Cruel Hand Luke said:

Now should it have been better secured? Of course.

And this is the argument used to enforce secure storage in the home.

Education of youngsters and application of common sense by grown ups would go a long way

• Like 2
20 minutes ago, Cruel Hand Luke said:

This is a good argument for an "enhanced permit

Good point, if our right is going to be licensed by the state the minute we leave our castles with a handgun strapped on, it would be a positive step.

According to the Millington website, pets, alcohol and coolers aren't allowed in the USA Stadium.

The policy doesn't mention anything about weapons.

As for Chief Dunbar, he has a message to gun owners.

"If you've got a weapon, everybody's got a right to carry it if they have a carry permit. But you need to use common sense about securing your weapon," said Dunbar.

“We've reached out to the stadium for more information on security and policies, we were directed to the public safety director who said he hasn't been authorized to answer those questions.”

Its the law.... that kept him from carrying his gun on him.

(It sounds to me like they were implying they need a law or policy or something.)

(1)  It is an offense for any person to possess or carry, whether openly or concealed, with the intent to go armed, any firearm, explosive, explosive weapon, bowie knife, hawk bill knife, ice pick, dagger, slingshot, leaded cane, switchblade knife, blackjack, knuckles or any other weapon of like kind, not used solely for instructional or school-sanctioned ceremonial purposes, in any public or private school building or bus, on any public or private school campus, grounds, recreation area, athletic field or any other property owned, operated, or while in use by any board of education, school, college or university board of trustees, regents or directors for the administration of any public or private educational institution.

Edited by DaveTN

Not surprising.   More victim blaming from the cops.   The gun owner bears zero responsibility for this.   He is not responsible for what other people do with his property after they steal it from him.   Poor guy. 

• Like 2
38 minutes ago, Capbyrd said:

Not surprising.   More victim blaming from the cops.   The gun owner bears zero responsibility for this.   He is not responsible for what other people do with his property after they steal it from him.   Poor guy. 

It is my understanding this vehicle was on public display as part of a Veterans display. If it was secured with the windows up and the doors locked; I agree with you. If the gun was in an area that couldn’t be locked (like a jeep); it’s on him. I say that because this vehicle was on display. If that is true.

If someone has to commit a crime to get to a gun; I don’t see how the owner can be held responsible. But I’m guessing that was not the case here.

We may hear from the owner of the vehicle and find out exactly what happened and why.

18 minutes ago, DaveTN said:

It is my understanding this vehicle was on public display as part of a Veterans display. If it was secured with the windows up and the doors locked; I agree with you. If the gun was in an area that couldn’t be locked (like a jeep); it’s on him. I say that because this vehicle was on display. If that is true.

If someone has to commit a crime to get to a gun; I don’t see how the owner can be held responsible. But I’m guessing that was not the case here.

We may hear from the owner of the vehicle and find out exactly what happened and why.

Taking someone else's property is a crime.  It's called theft.  It doesn't matter if it laying on the dash of a jeep with no top, still theft.  

17 minutes ago, Capbyrd said:

Taking someone else's property is a crime.  It's called theft.  It doesn't matter if it laying on the dash of a jeep with no top, still theft.  

Reckless Endangerment is also a crime, and with a deadly weapon it is a felony. So now, unless a plea bargain is made, a Judge or Jury will decide if what he did was reckless. However, they will know exactly what happened. We do not know exactly what happened, so we have no idea if it was reckless or not. We will probably find out.

When we had the discussion about the proposed legislation for the requirement of securing guns in cars, I didn’t think we needed a law to tell us that it is reckless to leave a gun in an unlocked vehicle; but maybe we do.

• Like 1

Leaving a firearm unsecured in a vehicle is just stupid regardless...I have a friend of mine that has had 3 guns stolen out of his truck because he is too lazy to remove them or lock it up...he got one back 2 years later but the other 2 were stolen before he even got to shoot them....luckily for him he makes plenty of money but that doesn't excuse his stupidity or lack of learning.

Edited by Magiccarpetrides
sp
  • Like 1

Sometimes you just can't fix stupid and leaving a gun in an unsecured vehicle in open sight is about as stupid as it gets. I have a policy of when I get in my vehicle my gun gets in and when I get out my gun gets out bar none. I have pretty much figured out where I can go and do or go and get everything in life I want to do without having to remove my gun concealed on my hip. In the event I was forced to go somewhere I had to leave my gun it would be locked in my glove box in a locked vehicle with the car alarm set. It is much better to take an extra 5 minutes securing your gun than to have an incident like the boy shooting his mother or someone else.........JMHO 

• Like 2