Roku Premiere *Update*

Height is your friend for indoor stuff, away from electrical interference of wires that run thru walls. Had an initial problem with ABC.  Ghetto attached with painters tape to the arch of a vaulted ceiling about 12 ft high on the second story and full strength. Wife asked about a better solution than painters tape...I tell her its long term testing unless she grows a fondness for ladders sometime soon :D

• Haha 1
6 hours ago, btq96r said:

Maybe try an outdoor one and run it through the existing cable jacks to your main TV?  The indoor models are not as good as advertised. 

I did consider, but I wasn't willing to invest in running wire for exterior or attic mount.

Challenge is signal travels SE towards  my house, the TV is in the far main floor SE corner.

Couldn't be better shielded unless I moved it down to the basement.

1 hour ago, A.J. Holst said:

I did consider, but I wasn't willing to invest in running wire for exterior or attic mount.

Depending on how your home is wired for cable, it might not be that much of an effort.  Look into where the cable jacks are currently running from the box outside. 

This is what I did...

In my old place, there were four drops for the townhouse I was renting...one for each bedroom, one for the living room, and one inexplicably for the upstairs hallway.  So I set up the outdoor antenna in my back porch area, then ran a heavy coax cable (about $15 bucks for a 50' good outdoor one) from the antenna to the drop for the living room.  I moved my cable modem to the upstairs hallway, resulting in free over the air TV in my living room by using the cable wiring in the house, and Wifi broadcasting from upstairs to use Netflix, Hulu, HBOGo, and all the rest on Roku on the TV as well, taking advantage of the work that was already put into the house to rig it for cable in each room.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I second the suggestion of using an outdoor antenna and connecting it using the existing coaxial in the house.  I originally had an antenna in the attic, but I moved it outside (attached on the lowest part of the eave that I can reach with a ladder).  The coaxial from the antenna goes through the soffit, into my attic, and then down the wall to the outdoor cable distribution box.  I can get nearly the same reception in any room in the house (some degradation with the furthest runs of cable).  I could have just ran the cable down the side of the house, but for a little more effort, I was able to mostly hide the cable.  Fishing the cable with my wife tested our relationship though.

I live south of Chattanooga, so most of the broadcast antennas are in the same general direction, but two stations have their antennas further away than the others.  A difference of just 5 degrees affects the reception from these stations; so I used tvfool.com and a compass to aim precisely at these towers.  The other stations are closer and come in clear just pointing in the general direction.  When I tried to use individual indoor antennas, I would get some interference with the close stations, and sometimes no signal at all on the farther stations.

• Thanks 1
On 6/17/2019 at 8:01 PM, dawgdoc said:

Fishing the cable with my wife tested our relationship though.

I heard that!!

Fire breaks are terrible. It usually ended with my wife saying…Go ahead. I would knock a hole in the wall to get access, and she could patch it so well you could never tell it was there.

1 hour ago, DaveTN said:

I heard that!!

Fire breaks are terrible. It usually ended with my wife saying…Go ahead. I would knock a hole in the wall to get access, and she could patch it so well you could never tell it was there.

Sounds like a good woman ya got there. :)