Savage 99

5 minutes ago, KahrMan said:

Unless the wear is really bad seems a pretty solid deal. 

His idea of wear, from a recent text,

"I warn you, the butt plate has some corrosion, I sanded and oiled, but keep an eye on it."

I did commit.

Hopefully it will fill my desire for a lever gun something and .300 Savage fits my hipster, boutique round persona.

Hi A.J. I'd love to see pics of your Model 99. Just to start it off, here's mine in 300 Savage (1951 mfg.) She's wearing a Weaver K4W steel tube scope, and is a dream to shoot. Hope you enjoy yours as much as I do mine. Ed

99 w-scope-1.JPG

99 w-scope-2.JPG

• Like 2
4 minutes ago, RedlegEd said:

Greg,

I am humbled! Those are some beautiful rifles. Next time they have some kits, can I get one? Ed

That's barely a starter kit. There is a Savage subforum on 24hourcampfire. Those guys have some cool stuff and a lot of it.

12 hours ago, gregintenn said:

That's barely a starter kit. There is a Savage subforum on 24hourcampfire. Those guys have some cool stuff and a lot of it.

Be prepared with lots of time and money if anyone decides to venture into there. Unless you want to feel totally incomplete the rest of your life...

They constantly egg on my Savage Model 24 need. I saw a .22 Hornet over 20ga the other day....Why why why did I look when there is no buying it.... 😭

• 3 weeks later...

It has arrived!

Shooter condition.

Bluing on barrel is like new except for wear at muzzle and a few surface scratches.

Receiver is worn, has a great patina from 60 years of handling, and bluing fades back in about 1/2 of the way up and over the top.

I think the case hardening pattern in the lever is beautiful.

Leupold VX2 - 7 x 33 with fancy flip caps, oh so clear and non distorted.

Cheek weld is fine at 2, when I start zooming, I have to move my head a bit.

Inspecting the innards through the ejection port, I think this rifle has a low round count - not much if any visible wear including the breech face.

The action is smooth and it does satisfy my desire for a level gun.

I think the trigger is fine, when I shoot I'll figure out if it is good. The actual trigger itself is wide, serrated, and smooth with virtually no take up and clean break.

.300 Savage has an interesting history as does the 99, which is also appealing to my ecletic sensibilities.

I do have both the ladder and rear peep sights as well.

IMG_20190609_092514790.jpg

IMG_20190609_091559526.jpg

Edited by A.J. Holst
  • Like 4
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
7 hours ago, Sidewinder said:

Looks like it would have been a perfect platform for the 22 Hornet round.

It feels almost blasphemous to mention in this thread, but one of the Ruger 96 guns might be convertible without too much trouble. Of course, they have some collector value as well.