Throwing Knives

I have 2 Grand Nephews coming to visit in June, in addition to shooting .22's I want to set up a knife/tomahawk target.

I've looked at SOG & Cold Steel, anyone have experience with these or have any other recommendations?

Any help appreciated.

Thanks,

AuE

My wording wasn't very good on my original post. I have the target, a large cutoff of a stump.

I'm looking for the knives, SOG & Cold Steel have some that seem adequate & are reasonable, I was hoping some here had experience with the knives or had other maker recommendations.

I saw some at SMKW but was hoping someone with actual experience could chime in.

On 5/21/2019 at 7:09 PM, beebee233 said:

A nice big, round tree worked for us when we were kids. We also used each others feet playing a game called chicken. But that was a different time....

Mumbley Peg. I had an old boot knife that was great for this.

• Like 2

I've used a few of the Cold Steel throwing implements over the years and I found them to be good quality for the price. I had one of their three knife sets, a couple of their throwing stars, and one of the cheap tomahawks. I honestly suck at throwing so these things got beat to hell but they held up well to the abuse. I eventually broke the handle on the tomahawk but they have reasonably priced replacements.

I will caveat by saying that although I think they have quality products I got rid of every Cold Steel product I owner after interacting with their owner/spokesperson at SHOT a few years back. The guy was such an arrogant/pompous jerk that I wanted nothing to do with the company after that. They also had a video compilation playing at their booth of said spokesperson massacring deer and antelope with a rifle, not hunting, I mean mowing down whole herds. It was weird.

I have owned a few SOG products that performed fairly well, but have never tried any of their throwing tools.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

If you've got access to an angle grinder (you're a guy so.......)

Run down to Lowe's/home depot & grab 3, 36" lengths of 1½"x1/4" mild steel bar.

Chop each into 12" lengths, grind one end into a 60° point & roughly sharpen it. A couple of wrapped of tape on the 'handle' end & you've got 9 excellent throwers for about $20

They'll work exactly as well as any commercial throwing knife made (you'll just have to resharpen more often)

The trick to throwing anything, is to figure out the correct difference. For the 5'8"-6'2" dude, 7 paces is usually on the money to get 2 full turns & hit point first 9:10 times!

• Like 1