The Cold Blue, the movie

Hi all. I just read about this on another forum, and it might be of interest to those of you who want to know more about the B17 crews in the air war over Germany in WW2. The documentary "The Cold Blue" is scheduled to play in theaters one night only on Thursday, 5/23. I just reserved my tickets. As an Artillery guy, it always amazed me how accurate the Germans could be with their flack, and the fortitude with which these guys fought their part of the war. Ed

Here's the trailer: 

Edited by RedlegEd
  • Like 2

Hi all. I just got back from watching the movie. In one word...fantastic! It was beyond incredible how they restored and enhanced original footage filmed in 1943 by William Wyler (who flew five combat missions to Germany himself,) then integrated that with personal interviews and recollections of the men who actually flew the missions. One of the center-lines of the documentary was the Memphis Belle and her crew. I highly recommend this movie and hope you all have the opportunity to see it. Ed

MemphisBelle_crew_USAAC-SM.jpg

Edited by RedlegEd
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
10 hours ago, RedlegEd said:

Hi all. I just got back from watching the movie. In one word...fantastic! It was beyond incredible how they restored and enhanced original footage filmed in 1943 by William Wyler (who flew five combat missions to Germany himself,) then integrated that with personal interviews and recollections of the men who actually flew the missions. One of the center-lines of the documentary was the Memphis Belle and her crew. I highly recommend this movie and hope you all have the opportunity to see it. Ed

MemphisBelle_crew_USAAC-SM.jpg

Well, I messed out on the Opry Mills screening, so I guess I'll have to wait for HBO to show it.

From the trailer and links on it, I'd say it was pretty intense. But I'm sure going to watch it when I get the chance.

• 3 weeks later...

My wife and I just watched Cold Blue. Really should have gone to bed, but saw it listed and just had to stay up for it.

Lots of thing I could say for this documentary...how great it was, how the men were such heroes, how inspiring, and so much more.

I'll just say we both had tears in our eyes during it. I plan on recording it.