Small lady needs thinner recoil pad for shotgun.

AKVAT

I am a smaller woman, not tiny. I know a lot about handguns and rifles, but not much experience with shotguns. I have competed with Handgun and rifle, not shotgun, until now. I am going to try 3 gun. It is informal and I was told I can use my side by side coach gun. It’s new, needs some slicking up. I bought it to try with Cowboy Action. I really don’t want to purchase another shotgun for 3 gun when I am not sure if I am going to like it or not.

The stock is a little long on my shotgun, and the recoil pad is quite deep. I am wondering if anyone knows of a good, thin pad, maybe gel that I can replace the original pad with so it is not such a stretch for my fingers to reach the double triggers. I just bought a 3 gun vest that has built in recoil pads.  Ideas? Experiences?

While I’ve never done it, chopping a stock and installing a new recoil pad is fairly common for shotguns.  Many of the available recoil pads are designed to be ground down (on the sides) to fit flush with the stock..  Check MidwayUSA to see what they offer for pads.

Edited by Garufa
  • Like 1
  • Admin Team

Yeah, it’s typical for a replacement pad to be put on a drum sander for fit.  

But, I expect it’s going to take more than a half inch or so to really make it fit.  A coach gun is going to have quite a bit of recoil - hence the thicker pad.  

It might be worth having the stock shortened up a bit and then having the recoil pad reinstalled.  

All that’s assuming you can get it to fit your frame.  As mentioned above, it might be worth looking at a youth shotgun for a better fit.

• Like 1

I did find a side-by-side youth Coach gun by Stoeger, it was a 20 gauge.  Maybe they make a 12, I don't know.  The youth was easy for me to handle but I wanted the 12 gauge.  I like the gun I have now, it seems I could take down the stock an inch or so and reinstall the pad, I don't have the tools for that right now and the competition is coming up in a couple of weeks.  I could take a peek at regular pump action youth shotguns that are 12 gauge 5 round capacity, if they make them.  Needs to be inexpensive.  Suggestions?

I just looked at youth guns, I am not seeing any in 12 gauge, only 20 and .410.

Just spoke to my BF, he said he has the band-saw equipment to cut down the stock.  How would you suggest sanding the pad on it to take it down to fit the reduced stock?

See if Stoeger offers a replacement stock for that youth model and if it will fit your gun. 

I'm assuming there's a penalty for using a 20ga instead of 12 in competition. 

Cutting down the stock and fitting a recoil pad isn't hard to do. 

• Like 2
11 hours ago, peejman said:

See if Stoeger offers a replacement stock for that youth model and if it will fit your gun. 

I'm assuming there's a penalty for using a 20ga instead of 12 in competition. 

Cutting down the stock and fitting a recoil pad isn't hard to do. 

I'll show this to my BF.  He says he has the tools to do this.  Doing a lot of shopping, not really finding something that fits me.

I did a DIY on my 870 Tactical, see issue, standard pull to long for me.

Cut a bit off, just enough to retail the rear sling attachment.

Added a Limb Saver, perfect fit, both on the butt and how it fits the stock.

I went this route because I didn't want to spend money on an adjustable stock.

Is this an option for your application?

I've never handled a shotgun with a pistol grip, so can't give any info, just opinion, to the pros / cons

• Like 1

I went to Bud's and SMGA this weekend and shouldered about everything they had under $800 that seemed to fit me.  I found one full sized 12 gauge for about $800 that would work, but that is just too much money for a sport I may or may not pursue depending out the outcome of my first attempt.

There was a Mossberg 12 gauge that had an adjustable stock and hand grip, I really liked it except it had this non-adjustable cheek rest that was too high for me to get a good sight picture.  Ugh.

There were no 20 gauge rifles at either location with an adjustable stock.  Had there been, I probably would have grabbed it if it was under $500.

I ended up buying a 20 gauge youth Mossberg 505, basic gun $300.  It should suffice.  I am taking it shooting the first time today.  I did a quick look to see if I could get an adjustable stock with hand grip for it; they do not many many accessories for the youth models, unfortunately.  The Mossberg website had an adapter to fit a Mossberg 500 adjustable stock with hand grip.  I have to call them about the adapter, the website description and picture did not match.  I think it would be cool to have a lightweight 20 gauge tactical.  I did find out Mossberg does make one, but if I ordered on-line, I would not get it in time for the event.

So the 505 should do, a big plus is if I could get the tactical grip.  The grip and the adapter would add $150 to the price, but I think it would be a real nice fit for a smaller person like me.

Edited by AKVAT