Women found after 17 days in Maui jungle

https://abc7news.com/hawaii-jogger-missing-more-than-2-weeks-found-alive-police-say/5316559/

A lot said about how strong this woman was, I agree. But nothing said about how easily preventable this was.  And by having just a few simple items she could have a been found sooner.  

1. Not hiking or jogging in a remote area alone.

2. Do not leave your phone in the car.

3. Let someone know where you are going and when you will return.

4. Carry an emergency kit. Fire making, knife, flashlight, signal mirror,whistle etc.

5. Might want to have a map, gps or compass.

Yep people assume that they will be right back in an hour or so, but you never know. Just the other day a good friend of mine who I thought was smart had a flat tire coming back from church one night and didn't have a flashlight. When he told me I asked if he had one in his car now and he said yes. I probably have 2 or 3 in most of my vehicles and have a streamlight  in my pocket. When I first started carrying a streamlight I couldn't believe how handy it was on almost a daily basis. You never know when today will be the day you need what you have in your pockets.

17 minutes ago, Dirtshooter said:

Yep people assume that they will be right back in an hour or so, but you never know. Just the other day a good friend of mine who I thought was smart had a flat tire coming back from church one night and didn't have a flashlight. When he told me I asked if he had one in his car now and he said yes. I probably have 2 or 3 in most of my vehicles and have a streamlight  in my pocket. When I first started carrying a streamlight I couldn't believe how handy it was on almost a daily basis. You never know when today will be the day you need what you have in your pockets.

You should see the surprise on people's faces when I pull out my Streamlight. It is like I am some magician providing light from my glowing hands. Kinda the same at the office with a pocket knife. I see people poking at the tape on a box with paperclips. Pop out my knife and 2 seconds later the box is open. Growing up, I could not count one one hand the men or women I knew that did NOT carry a knife. 

You know that this isn't the same world we grew up in. From about the 2nd grade on I carried a pocket knife or knives to school each day and I don't recall stabbing or cutting 1 single person. About 13 years ago I was working in the oilfield and my boss had sent these 2 fairly new guys out to install a chemical tank and we used a poly tubing that is easily cut with even a dull knife. Well it took them much longer than it should have and when the truth came out, neither had a knife on them. I told my boss each new hire or better an applicant needed to be asked to show a knife. That way you can cull out the knotheads!!

• Like 1
5 hours ago, DaveTN said:

Maybe I’m not seeing it, but that link or the video doesn’t tell how/why/ she was missing? Did she get lost?

In an article in the NYTimes, she said she went out for a short hike. That's why she didn't take her phone or water bottle. She went off the trail to rest and got turned around trying to get back to the trail. (I'm guessing she just had to potty and didn't want to say that.) Once she realized she was lost, she decided to "follow her intuition because her intuition was so good." (Not joking. That's pretty much what she said.) Then, on the third day, she fell off a cliff and fractured her leg and lost her shoes in a flash flood. (I'm not sure of the order of these events.)  By then, she had wandered about 4 miles outside the initial 1.5 mile radius search area. In short, she did almost everything wrong.

1 hour ago, jgradyc said:

..... she did almost everything wrong.

She got narrowly saved from Darwin...

Even with a full kit I figure Mother Nature can kick my a$$ if she wants to. Best I can do is be as prepared physically, mentally, and equipment wise as I can when I go out.. Stupid mistakes win stupid prizes..don't be stupid like this lady.

• Like 1

I call MAJOR Bull Sh!t on this whole ordeal and I'm patiently waiting until the book and or movie deal to be announced for the whole thing to unravel and "JUSSIE" right in her face and the smiley that found her.

Edited by FUJIMO
  • Like 2
4 hours ago, FUJIMO said:

I call MAJOR Bull Sh!t on this whole ordeal and I'm patiently waiting until the book and or movie deal to be announced for the whole thing to unravel and "JUSSIE" right in her face and the smiley that found her.

I completely agree. She gave about a one hour news media live interview that was on FB live. I never saw so much nonsense in my life. Talking about her intuition and how spirits told her which to walk. And never did any reporter question the wisdom of her total lack of preparation or call her on any of her ridiculous rambling. 

Edited by kentmck
Left a word out
5 hours ago, kentmck said:

And never did any reporter question the wisdom of her total lack of preparation or call her on any of her ridiculous rambling. 

I'm guessing they wanted to get the interview over ASAP so they could get back to covering anything related to Trump.    

• Haha 2