Williamsburg, Virginia things to do and see

Not sure how far from Williamsburg you're willing to travel but you'll be about 2 hrs from Thomas Jefferson's home, Monticello, which is in Charlottesville, VA.     Guaranteed to not be overrun with liberals since most of them want to erase him from our country's history in anyway they can.

• Like 1

Busch Gardens is great.  Historic Yorktown battlefields (I grew up here in Yorktown area).  Lots of small breweries if you are into that.  When I worked for Anheuser Busch they had stopped tours, but I believe they built a new Biergarten.  

If you're into racing, Langley Speedway in Hampton on Saturday nights always puts on a hell of a show.

VA Beach a little more than an hour away.

• Like 1

I don’t know if you and your sons are into big azz ships or big azz ships with big azz guns, but you will be about 45 miles from the Navy Base at Norfolk. Standing face to face with a modern day Aircraft Carrier on a tour of the Naval base or going through the Battleship USS Wisconsin and standing next to 16” guns is something that would probably impress you and your sons.

https://www.visitnorfolk.com/things-to-do/tours/tour-norfolk-naval-base/

You will also be 2.5 hours from the Courthouse at Appomattox..

https://www.nps.gov/apco/index.htm

• Like 1
9 minutes ago, gregintenn said:

Great suggestions, guys! How ''bout restaurants? A fat boy like me gotta eat. I dunno about Yankee food.

You will be 50 miles from the capitol of the Confederate States of America; why would you be concerned about Yankee food? :confused:

• Like 2

Two Drummers, https://www.twodrummerssmokehouse.com/home, for good eats. Went to school with both if the fella's that own that place. Both of them were in Fife and Drum for Colonial Williamsburg, hence the name.  I grew up in Williamsburg and left in 2005 after 28 years. Shorty's Diner is a local spot in an older part of the 'burg that folks like. If you see a sign for Camp Peary, don't visit that place. They are kinda rude when you say you got lost. Do not at most any cost use the Hampton Roads Bridge Tunnel if at all possible. It's a nightmare about 24 hours a day to get to Va Beach. Hit up Yorktown for a beach and battlefield instead. New Town is a cool spot also in Williamsburg. Shops, nice pool hall (Corner Pocket), fancier restaurants too. If you go there check out the General District Court house across the street. Got my marriage licence there and the gentleman's name on the outside is my uncle. Nice guy too!

Shopping-Premium Outlets is the place to go.

If your in Colonial Williamsburg, The Cheese Shop is a local and tourist favorite with the house dressing.

Don't forget Jamestown, I'll probably tote the kids out there when we get back home in July. I grew up riding my bike on the island.

If you play golf, PM me. I know a guy.

Rambles are over. Seriously PM me if you need anything there. Mom is still there close to Ford's Colony.

Pierces Pit BBQ is a long staple of that area.

I'll add Water Country along with Busch Gardens. Beer is good too, Bud-something is made there. 

Spaz over..

Edited by jhc77
Add
  • Like 1
17 hours ago, gregintenn said:

Great suggestions, guys! How ''bout restaurants? A fat boy like me gotta eat. I dunno about Yankee food.

Christiana Campbells and Kings Arms taverns in the historical area. Not cheap, but worth it. 

We love Williamsburg... it's American history nirvana. :usa:Jamestown, Yorktown, ... all those places are great. 

The naval stuff at Norfolk is  awesome, but the traffic can be unbelievable. The bridge/tunnel across the bay is pretty cool, if you're nerdy like that. 

Buckroe Beach was a nice little public beach that's right on the bay. The steady stream of container ships passing by keeps the surf up. 

Edited by peejman
  • Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...

Thanks for all the suggestions. It was an interesting trip. There are lots of things to do and see there. I found the people there to be of a different breed than what I am accustomed to. It’s always nice to see the “Welcome to Tennessee” sign along the interstate on the way home.

On 5/27/2019 at 1:13 PM, DaveTN said:

I don’t know if you and your sons are into big azz ships or big azz ships with big azz guns, but you will be about 45 miles from the Navy Base at Norfolk. Standing face to face with a modern day Aircraft Carrier on a tour of the Naval base or going through the Battleship USS Wisconsin and standing next to 16” guns is something that would probably impress you and your sons.

https://www.visitnorfolk.com/things-to-do/tours/tour-norfolk-naval-base/

You will also be 2.5 hours from the Courthouse at Appomattox..

https://www.nps.gov/apco/index.htm

I second this, but I am biased since I served on the Battleship Wisconsin when it was recommissioned in 1988.  I took my family there a couple of years back and still remembered all the spots where I was reprimanded by the Master Chief!!!  There is also a boat trip that takes you by all Naval ships stationed at Norfolk which is impressive. 

• Like 1
2 hours ago, gregintenn said:

Thanks for all the suggestions. It was an interesting trip. There are lots of things to do and see there. I found the people there to be of a different breed than what I am accustomed to. It’s always nice to see the “Welcome to Tennessee” sign along the interstate on the way home.

In all honesty the “locals” are a grumpy bunch. I’d guess about 50% of the area are retired. Tourist season is busy and spread out into some of the newer neighborhoods. 

Edited by jhc77
Added more dribble
  • Like 1
14 minutes ago, jhc77 said:

In all honesty the “locals” are a grumpy bunch. I’d guess about 50% of the area are retired. Tourist season is busy and spread out into some of the newer neighborhoods. 

Now I did not mean to slur anyone. These folks are simply more aggressive drivers, and not as friendly as people here. I had absolutely no problem with anyone in Virginia, and did not feel unwelcome in any way. They are just different.

One day, we went to a baseball game in Norfolk, and then on to Virginia Beach to see what is there and eat. Much to my surprise, the interstate went under the water for a mile or two. There's something you don't see in Tennessee!

Edited by gregintenn
23 minutes ago, gregintenn said:

Now I did not mean to slur anyone. These folks are simply more aggressive drivers, and not as friendly as people here. I had absolutely no problem with anyone in Virginia, and did not feel unwelcome in any way. They are just different.

One day, we went to a baseball game in Norfolk, and then on to Virginia Beach to see what is there and eat. Much to my surprise, the interstate went under the water for a mile or two. There's something you don't see in Tennessee!

I’ll be the first to say that area of drivers do indeed drive aggressively. No idea why. Tides baseball is very fun. One of the best Triple A ballparks around. Hampton Roads bridge tunnel is a nightmare anytime of the day. Monitor Merrimac is a little nicer but puts you way out in the sticks. 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, DaveTN said:

Funny to hear Tennessee drivers talk about another state having aggressive drivers. :)

Being a licensed driver in VA for 15+ years then moving here is a noticeable improvement. 

Edited by jhc77
Grammar
  • Like 2

My wife and I went to the Williamsburg area a few years ago.  We went out riding around, crossed the long bridge with the underwater section and somehow ended up on one of the D.C. outer perimeter loops at rush hour.  The drivers were nuts.  We had noticed the shrubs along the road looked terrible.  Then we found out why.  If a driver wanted to get down to a side road and the terrain would allow it, they would just cut off the road, drive over what was left of the small shrubs and drop down to the lower road.  I haven't seen this in Nashville, Memphis, Atlanta or anywhere else. 

• Like 1