S&W EZ 380 - Useful tool

Picked up one of these S&W EZ 380s from Academy a while back for 329.00.  This is the version without thumb safety.  It does everything a .380 is supposed to but easier:  1) shoots fast to point of aim (recoil is negligible)  2)reliable 3) mags are the easiest center pistol mags I have ever loaded 4) You can rack the slide with two fingers.  It is not as small as my Keltec P32 but it is so easy to grab and shoot.

I can't begin to recall all the small handguns I have owned, including various ultra light revolvers. This thing beats them all in terms of ease of use.  I am not getting younger.

eeSFNL6.jpg?1

A review:  https://dailycaller.com/2018/06/28/gun-test-sw-mp-380-shield-ez/

Edited by graycrait
spelling
  • Like 5
8 hours ago, kentmck said:

I wondered how it would be with the grip safety.

To me, feels like holding an XD or a small 1911. The same holding form and mindset necessary for all three. It's remarkably comfortable to hold.

• Like 1

We got one for my wife.  She is very petite, and she has had multiple failures (failure to eject and stovepipes).  We think the combination of her small hand and the grip safety lead to inadvertent limp wristing.  I posted on another site, and someone mentioned the same problem with small shooters with their rental guns.

My wife has not had the same type of jams with an LCP, an LC9, or a full size 1911 9mm.  I suspect the EZ springs that make it so easy to rack contribute to her problem.

We have been practicing her grip at home, but haven't shot it again since possibly identifying the problem.

It seemed like an excellent gun, but I think she would have less problems without the grip safety. 

9 hours ago, dawgdoc said:

We got one for my wife.  She is very petite, and she has had multiple failures (failure to eject and stovepipes).  We think the combination of her small hand and the grip safety lead to inadvertent limp wristing.  I posted on another site, and someone mentioned the same problem with small shooters with their rental guns.

My wife has not had the same type of jams with an LCP, an LC9, or a full size 1911 9mm.  I suspect the EZ springs that make it so easy to rack contribute to her problem.

We have been practicing her grip at home, but haven't shot it again since possibly identifying the problem.

It seemed like an excellent gun, but I think she would have less problems without the grip safety. 

Did you only rent the EZ or did you purchase one new?  Sounds like both? I just want to point out that sometimes rentals are not cleaned as much as they should be, it could be a factor.

New guns typically need a couple of hundred rounds put through them before they are broken in, and can have symptoms like you describe during break in.

Lastly, it could be ammo.  Last .380 I had (Browning 1911) did not like .380 with flat tips.

It could be your wife limp wristing, but I would make sure none of the items I mention above are contributors before you give up on the EZ.

Edited by AKVAT

We bought it new without trying one.  The only time I can get it to jam is when I tried to make some low power hand loads (but haven't had that problem with loads in the mid to upper range of the reload data), and when I deliberately weakly held the gun one handed (but that was actually failure to fire because the grip safety was not engaged).

I could watch her get multiple problems on one magazine, then I would load the same ammo in the same magazine and shoot the entire mag with no problem.

After our last range session, I came back with two boxes of the cheapest ammo I could buy to see if it would jam on me.  I had one failure to feed on the last round in one mag with Monarch ammo.

When I look at her grip, her hand is too thin to push up tight against the beavertail.  By that I mean I have a bunch of flesh that squishes up against the beavertail, but she has a little bit of space visible at the top.  I think that lack of meat jammed up high is part of the problem, but she can't grip any higher.  If she wore a glove, it would fill the space and make it tighter, I think.

• Like 1

I have a Colt Competition 1911 9mm, with super light springs.  Although I do not have failure to feed, I have failure to lock back the slide if the rounds are too light a load.  I am a smaller woman, but maybe not as small as your wife.  For whatever reason, maybe the 1911 grip is pretty big, I have never had a problem with a grip safety as long as I grabbed and held the gun "like I mean it".  Getting a firm grip not only helps to eliminate the grip safety problem, it also helps firm up limp wristing. 

If a woman has some hand strength, I tell her to "manhandle" it, she is not going to break it and she needs to have a good grip to prevent someone from taking it from her.  Some people need encouragement to "hold it like they mean it".  Maybe do some dry fire gun handling exercises before going to live fire next time?

• Like 1

We have been dry firing and then I rack the slide while she continues to hold it.  Not the same as real recoil, but it helps her to see how much force is needed to keep the gun where it needs to be.

She weighs 100 pounds (after two kids) and is of Filipino descent, and she is small even compared to her relatives.  My 13- year old son is getting close to her height. 

• Like 2
  • 1 month later...

Today at the range my wife did a lot better.  I told her to grip it like someone was trying to take the gun.

There were two jams that I think are magazine related.  I had previously marked one of the two magazines that seem to have more problems, and today, there were two instances in which the last round got stuck bullet facing the sky in the partially closed slide.  When I called, Smith and Wesson, they have heard of similar problems, and are sending a new magazine.

I suspect that the spring has marginal tension on the last round, and sometimes it can't push it up fast enough as the slide closes.  Makes me wonder how prevalent the problem is; they didn't even ask for the serial number of the gun, and don't want me to send back the old magazine.

1 hour ago, DaveTN said:

I wonder how long before they make one in 9mm.

Havent heard of one anywhere in any of the onlione sites i visit or mags I read, but I hope they heard you say that! Id probably buy one for me.  My wife loves hers in .380.

2 hours ago, DaveTN said:

I wonder how long before they make one in 9mm.

33 minutes ago, Defender said:

Havent heard of one anywhere in any of the onlione sites i visit or mags I read, but I hope they heard you say that! Id probably buy one for me.  My wife loves hers in .380.

Is does come in 9mm...9x17mm, Browning, Kurz, or whatever you want to call it.

People have been going on about a 9mm Parabellum EZ since the thing came out.  I’m no engineer but 9mm has significantly higher psi than a .380, thus stronger springs and harder to rack slides.  

In a market flooded with concealable 9mm’s of every flavor why does everyone want to adapt the EZ to a cartridge is it not designed for and can’t handle?

Edited by Garufa
26 minutes ago, Garufa said:

Is does come in 9mm...9x17mm, Browning, Kurz, or whatever you want to call it.

People have been going on about a 9mm Parabellum EZ since the thing came out.  I’m no engineer but 9mm has significantly higher psi than a .380, thus stronger springs and harder to rack slides. 

In a market flooded with concealable 9mm’s of every flavor why does everyone want to adapt the EZ to a cartridge is it not designed for and can’t handle?

You're right about the difference in the main spring. The 9x19 EZ is already on the market, it's called the Shield.

Edited by TomInMN
Usage error.
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1
2 hours ago, Garufa said:

Because that’s the Engineering challenge. Granted there are plenty of small semi’s; even up to .40S&W, such as the Shield. There is no reason the features touted for the EZ Shield only come in a worthless round like the .380. 

Built for personal protection and every-day carry, the M&P380 Shield EZ is chambered in 380 Auto and is designed to be easy to use, featuring an easy-to-rack slide , easy-to-load magazine, and easy-to-clean design. Built for personal and home protection, the innovative M&P380 Shield EZ pistol is the latest addition to the M&P M2.0 family and provides an easy-to-use protection option for both first-time shooters and experienced handgunners alike.

Great, now do that for a 9mm; someone will.

On 7/13/2019 at 7:09 PM, DaveTN said:

Because that’s the Engineering challenge. Granted there are plenty of small semi’s; even up to .40S&W, such as the Shield. There is no reason the features touted for the EZ Shield only come in a worthless round like the .380. 

Great, now do that for a 9mm; someone will.

A gunsmith I know had this response for me when I asked about 380 vs 9mm: "Wait here. I'm going to go stand at that end of the counter, and I'll shoot you with a 380. We'll see how effective it is."

For folks who can't make a 9mm work for whatever reason, it's a good option. Those people do exist, and they have a right to self defense even if (especially if) they're not a strong as you or I may happen to be. Any round that someone is willing and able to practice with enough to become proficient is better for that shooter than any other round which they're not willing or able to practice with.

As I said before, the 9mm version of the 380 EZ is already on the market as the Shield. That's about as good as they're going to be able to make it, because physics.

Edited by TomInMN
Additional thought.
  • Like 2
12 hours ago, TomInMN said:

A gunsmith I know had this response for me when I asked about 380 vs 9mm: "Wait here. I'm going to go stand at that end of the counter, and I'll shoot you with a 380. We'll see how effective it is."

For folks who can't make a 9mm work for whatever reason, it's a good option. Those people do exist, and they have a right to self defense even if (especially if) they're not a strong as you or I may happen to be. Any round that someone is willing and able to practice with enough to become proficient is better for that shooter than any other round which they're not willing or able to practice with.

As I said before, the 9mm version of the 380 EZ is already on the market as the Shield. That's about as good as they're going to be able to make it, because physics.

That’s a ridiculous analogy.:) I wouldn’t want to be shot with a .22, or even a spitball through a straw. Does that make it a good self defense weapon? Of course not.

My point was not that those people don’t deserve that; absolutely they do. I was just predicting it will happen. How will it happen? ….Physics.

If the Engineers just gave up when faced with a problem; we would still only have the option of revolvers and bolt action rifles.

• 2 weeks later...