Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
LINKS2K

Drone owners

Recommended Posts

I’m now the proud owner of a DJI Mavic 2 Zoom. It’s my first UAS, but I think I’m going to love it. 

I’m waiting to see how the FAA is going to handle the LAANC situation concerning recreational flyers. If it’s crap, I plan to go the Part 107 route. 

What are you guys flying?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Got any cool pics or videos yet? They look like fun to me.

A guy I know has some great footage of him demolishing a bridge on YouTube shot from a drone.

Edited by gregintenn

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, gregintenn said:

Got any cool pics or videos yet? They look like fun to me.

A guy I know has some great footage of him demolishing a bridge on YouTube shot from a drone.

Not yet. I’m live within five miles of the Olive Branch airport, and the edge of Memphis International, so until the updated rules for recreational flyers come out I’ll have to pay $25 per year to fly in Shelby Farms. 

I believe the new rules should be out before August. From my understanding, the rules will be similar to those who fly for profit. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I got my FAA number for my little drone back when it was "mandatory" and read up on the part 107 rules.  That seems rather pricey, almost a pilots license, and not what a hobby flyer should have to deal with.  I flew mine on my property, inspecting fence lines, but staying within visual range was dang near impossible.  I think they need to control the airspace in some areas such as airports, downtown etc, but flying on private property, at reasonable altitudes, should be totally within hobby rules, whether you have visual or not.  Some people have acres of land that due to terrain and vegetation there is no way to stay legal, that should be remedied.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, LINKS2K said:

Not yet. I’m live within five miles of the Olive Branch airport, and the edge of Memphis International, so until the updated rules for recreational flyers come out I’ll have to pay $25 per year to fly in Shelby Farms. 

I believe the new rules should be out before August. From my understanding, the rules will be similar to those who fly for profit. 

That sucks. It seems like a few people usually screw things up for the rest of us. I expected they'd be regulated in some form or fashion. I hope they don't impede to the point where you can't enjoy it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

DJI Spark here.  My first real UAS and didn't want to throw a lot of $$$ into something I knew I would crash. Heck yeah I've crashed it but just because I was having a momentary bout of stupidity.  Nothing major, maybe a slightly scuffed wall while flying indoors or a close encounter with a tree or two.

It does everything I need or want to do at the moment and initially I was go to obtain a part 107 certificate.  I'm not planning any commercial use so I've decided against it but all of this is subject to change at any time.

Until the LAANC system is actually implemented for everyone there's really no way to determine how good or bad it's going to be. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

When I flew a UAS, it was a DJI Phantom 3 Pro.  Bought it for use in my work at the time, enjoyed playing around with it as well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I built an FPV drone 3 years ago, I paid and had it licensed... At first I flew it a whole lot.... I dont think Ive touched it in 8 months now though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

if it flies near my windows, it's coming down

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, tnhawk said:

if it flies near my windows, it's coming down

 

What does this add to the conversation? No one mentioned flying near anyone’s windows. 

 

On 5/29/2019 at 3:44 PM, gregintenn said:

That sucks. It seems like a few people usually screw things up for the rest of us. I expected they'd be regulated in some form or fashion. I hope they don't impede to the point where you can't enjoy it.

I’d rather fly it in the parks   I want to work on editing nature videos. 

I believe as long as we stay below 400 feet we should be left alone. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 I fly fixed wing R C aircraft so I'm not too knowledgeable about drones but this site seems to have the most up to date info. on the subject. 

https://dronelife.com/

Our club has a large group of drone flyers, mostly racing drones, but I'm sure you could get answers to any questions you have. The only problem is that we're way up here just south of Millington.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, tnhawk said:

if it flies near my windows, it's coming down

 

That was an asinine comment, and that’s saying something coming from me.

  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, xsubsailor said:

 I fly fixed wing R C aircraft so I'm not too knowledgeable about drones but this site seems to have the most up to date info. on the subject. 

https://dronelife.com/

Our club has a large group of drone flyers, mostly racing drones, but I'm sure you could get answers to any questions you have. The only problem is that we're way up here just south of Millington.

Thank you!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

The Fine Print

Tennessee Gun Owners (TNGunOwners.com) is the premier Community and Discussion Forum for gun owners, firearm enthusiasts, sportsmen and Second Amendment proponents in the state of Tennessee and surrounding region.

TNGunOwners.com (TGO) is a presentation of Enthusiast Productions. The TGO state flag logo and the TGO tri-hole "icon" logo are trademarks of Tennessee Gun Owners. The TGO logos and all content presented on this site may not be reproduced in any form without express written permission. The opinions expressed on TGO are those of their authors and do not necessarily reflect those of the site's owners or staff.

Before engaging in any transaction of goods or services on TGO, all parties involved must know and follow the local, state and Federal laws regarding those transactions. TGO makes no claims, guarantees or assurances regarding any such transactions.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to the following.
Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines