Texas Adds Safe Gun Storage Campaign to Budget

Like so many of these innocent-sounding good-idea efforts, the expanded interpretation and execution are where the problems arise. I’ve seen some proposed “safe storage” laws that came with some pretty onerous requirements including defacto registration of all firearms with local authorities,  allowing unannounced inspections of your home to ensure compliance, separate storage of firearms from ammo, etc.  Any law that tells you what you can or can’t do with your property is never as innocuous as the name they give it when trying to pass it. 

• Like 2

I have guns all over my house, I would have a huge problem if they attempted to mandate how I am to keep them at the ready.  My kids are now grown, my granddaughter is 12, but all have been exposed to guns and know not to touch a weapon they don't intend to use.  I don't allow other kids around my guns, if my granddaughter has a friend over, the weapons are secured so no "accidents".  All our friends, with kids, know I have guns and know how I keep them and don't have any issues, even the few that don't own any themselves. 

Edited by Omega
Syntax
  • Like 1
  • Moderators

The devil is in the details. What’s the actual language involved here? It seems it would be bad PR for the gun orgs to oppose it if it was strictly about promoting safety, but as we all know, the words “gun safety” mean very different things to different people. 

• Like 1
18 minutes ago, Chucktshoes said:

The devil is in the details. What’s the actual language involved here? It seems it would be bad PR for the gun orgs to oppose it if it was strictly about promoting safety, but as we all know, the words “gun safety” mean very different things to different people. 

Here you be.  From the Department of Public Safety appropriation:

48.  Statewide Safe Gun Storage Campaign. Included in the amounts appropriated above in Strategy G.1.1, Headquarters Administration, is $500,000 in fiscal year 2020 and $500,000 in fiscal year 2021 in General Revenue to establish and promote a statewide safe gun storage campaign. The public awareness campaign shall begin no later than September 1, 2020. The public awareness campaign may include online materials, printed materials, public service announcements, or other advertising media. The public awareness campaign may not convey a message that it is unlawful under state law to keep or store a firearm that is loaded or that is readily accessible for self-defense.

https://capitol.texas.gov/BillLookup/History.aspx?LegSess=86R&Bill=HB1

• Like 1
  • Moderators
18 minutes ago, Garufa said:

Here you be.  From the Department of Public Safety appropriation:

48.  Statewide Safe Gun Storage Campaign. Included in the amounts appropriated above in Strategy G.1.1, Headquarters Administration, is $500,000 in fiscal year 2020 and $500,000 in fiscal year 2021 in General Revenue to establish and promote a statewide safe gun storage campaign. The public awareness campaign shall begin no later than September 1, 2020. The public awareness campaign may include online materials, printed materials, public service announcements, or other advertising media. The public awareness campaign may not convey a message that it is unlawful under state law to keep or store a firearm that is loaded or that is readily accessible for self-defense.

https://capitol.texas.gov/BillLookup/History.aspx?LegSess=86R&Bill=HB1

Innocuous enough on the surface, vague enough to be dangerous. 

I just wonder why the NRA and the state gun orgs aren’t on top of this offering support, guidance and expertise on how to conduct the campaign in the best possible manner to promote safety while respecting rights. This seems like a perfect way to dovetail the Eddie Eagle campaign with a component for adults regarding storage and the necessity of firearms education for their kids. 

4 hours ago, Chucktshoes said:

I just wonder why the NRA and the state gun orgs aren’t on top of this offering support, guidance and expertise on how to conduct the campaign in the best possible manner to promote safety while respecting rights. This seems like a perfect way to dovetail the Eddie Eagle campaign with a component for adults regarding storage and the necessity of firearms education for their kids. 

Perhaps if it is as innocent as it sounds, the NRA might find themselves in a bidding position if some type of RFP is put on the streets for a program.

Edited by Garufa
  • Like 1
  • 2 months later...
On 6/5/2019 at 1:11 PM, Chucktshoes said:

Can you share with us what is so vague?  Reading the language posted by Garfua I just don't see the innocuous language that would enable the government to start confiscating guns or create a registry of some sorts.    

To me this looks more like an advertising campaign that's designed to bring about awareness in properly storing guns safely.    

• Like 2