Shotguns for Smaller People

I am a woman, 5’4”, to put things into perspective. I have decided to try the 3-gun sport for which I need a shotgun.  This is the story of my search, and challenge as a smaller person looking for a shotgun in an industry that seems to make all the shotguns for Paul Bunyan (mild exaggeration, but it feels that way from my diminutive vantage point!).

I have documented on my Blog what I want, need and what I found.  Feedback and questions are welcomed!

https://akvat.com/captains-blog/f/shotguns-for-smaller-people

I think you are doing a good job at finding what you want.

You have the same problem many of us have regardless of the type weapon…there is plenty of options with exactly what we want; but not at the price we want to spend. That’s the bad news. Is there good news? Of course there is! The good news is that if it’s a type shooting you really enjoy; you will eventually find out that what you want to spend and what you need to spend are not the same.

I got out of shotguns for awhile because I was getting old and they (12GA Pumps) were beating me up. Sure, I could do it; but it wasn’t much fun anymore. With some friends still shooting shotguns; I decided I wanted to get back into it. I decided I wanted a quality 12GA auto that was a cream puff to shoot. It cost a lot and I really enjoy it.

• Like 1

I know this isn't the response that you were looking for, but I just wanted to broaden your view a little bit. You may think that they're made for Paul Bunyan but at 6'4" I can assure you they aren't. I have the same problem with long guns but from the opposite perspective. I'd argue that big people have an even harder time finding a fit which necessitates modification to what's standard. Personally, I'd recommend looking at aftermarket stocks for whatever shotgun you're looking for.

• Like 1

Beretta 3901 RL

They are not made anymore and are getting hard to find due to being so popular with youth clay target shooter. Soft recoiling SA with 12/13" LOP and 26/28" barrel with choke tubes. A used one in good shape should run $800-1000. I would think that aftermarket parts for the 390/391/3901 guns would fit.

EDIT - Sorry. I should have read your requirements first. The 3901 looks to be outside the upper limit of budget.

Edited by 1madss
  • Like 1

I am waiting to see how much I like the 3-Gun Competition. If I do like it, I may eventually upgrade from my "Baby Mossberg". 

My BF and I went to the range yesterday with my side-by-side 12 gauge, his Mossberg Maverick 88 12 gauge, and my youth 20 gauge Mossberg 505.  We wanted to do comparisons with the guns and ammo we had and I needed to work on my "speed loading" skills, lol.

After that comparison, I think I know why I have never really been a shotgun person. the 12 gauges, especially the side-by-side beat me up and made me swear.  I was happy to get back to my 20 gauge!  I kind-a like it!

I think I am going to sell my side-by-side.

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...

12g Shockwave with Sig Brace and Minishell Adapter?  Gives you 9+1 with the Aguila minishells

Runs about $275 for the shotgun (Usually on sale $250 or less especially near holidays), $129 for sig brace kit, and about $20 for the minishell adapter. 

Recoil is mild

Edited by Refleks
  • Like 1
8 hours ago, Refleks said:

12g Shockwave with Sig Brace and Minishell Adapter?  Gives you 9+1 with the Aguila minishells

Runs about $275 for the shotgun (Usually on sale $250 or less especially near holidays), $129 for sig brace kit, and about $20 for the minishell adapter. 

Recoil is mild

I was actually thinking the same thing when I saw one of these braced for the first time a couple days ago.

• Like 1
8 hours ago, Refleks said:

Recoil is mild

Hmmmm.... hadn't thought of that.    The Shockwave might not be completely useless after all.  

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...
On 7/9/2019 at 10:02 AM, peejman said:

Hmmmm.... hadn't thought of that.    The Shockwave might not be completely useless after all.  

On 7/9/2019 at 12:37 AM, Refleks said:

Recoil is mild

It may not be legal for competition. Since it is a firearm and does not meet the legal definition of a shotgun it may mot be allowed for 3 gun. I have several friends that shoot IDPA at Strategic Edge, after I got my AR pistol running good I looked into shooting it. It was not allowed since it did not have a 16 inch barrel. So you would need to check the rule book and with the people running the particular match to see what they allow.