flat-shooting centerfire rifle cartridge

nightrunner

what is the flattest shooting centerfire rifle cartridge commerically available ?

looking for something i can get factory ammo for and there is a quality rifle chambered for it.

want to shoot as flat as possible to 300-400 yards, absolutely no more than 400. capable to killing a 150-250lb. animal, for example deer-sized.

it goes without saying that it still needs to be accurate, but center-of-mass capability at 400yards is good enough.

i used to have a ballistics program on my pc but it crashed and i havent been able to find it again.

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest tnmale46

dont know if its best but 243wssm aint bad

Muzzle 4060 2013 - - 50 - - -0.5 - 100 3628 1607 0.0 0.6 150 - - -0.2 0.7 200 3237 1280 -1.2 0.0 250 - -- -2.9 -1.5 300 2880 1013 -5.6 -3.9 400 2550 794 - -12 500 2243 614 - -25.5

7mm Remington Magnum is probably one of the most versatile, flattest shooting readily available commercial rounds available. Sure there are some newer super mags available but not everyone carries the ammo and when you find it it is higher than POO! Plus it is available in a lot of great rifles, I have had it in Ruger #1's(what I have now), Winchester Model 70's, Ruger M77's, Browning A-Bolts & BAR's, Remington 700's, Savage 110's, etc, etc.

There are others, like the 22-250 Remington, 220 Swift, 6mm remington, 260 remington, 25-06, 270 Win, 300 Win mag, 300 Rem Ultra Mag, as you can see I like a lot of Remington cartridges.

Weatherby 30-378 to challenge your manhood! I have shot it, with a muzzle brake on it and it still let me know who it was! Without the brake, YOU break.

-7.2 inches drop at 400 yards. 3500 feet per second. .30 caliber and ballistics similar to the .270 only with more mass hitting at the end of the run.

Check the ballistics here.

http://www.weatherby.com/product/ammunition/ballistic?ammo1=.30-378+Wby.&ammo2=.270+Wby.&compare=Compare&compare=Compare

I have been the king of what most term "over kill". Have hunted and shot deer with my old .340 Wby Mag and it didn't tear the deer up. It did kill them hard though! LOL. I had no problem using it.

That being said. Yes, the 30-378 is to much gun for Tennessee white tail. I still shoot my little brothers every time he lets me. WITH the brake on. As much for my shoulders health as our hearing! The sonics off that thing are amazing!

Guest gcrookston

I don't know about what others say, but my .264WM is the flattest I've ever encountered. Roughly 700 yrds before a drop of about 0.25 moa at 1,000.

Picture026.jpg

Guest Mugster

One of the 7mm magnums is hard to beat for long range shooting, the old longer cases or the new short mags. I don't know if it matters. You got a pretty good bullet selection. Match, moose, and even a little 100 grain job for varmint, all with competitive bc's. The rem/weatherby mag would be hard to beat as a range rifle for one reason...case capacity. Plus you got that belt at the bottom...a little extra insurance against a separation.

If you want small, I'd go .243 or .22-250...barrel burners they say.

Guest gcrookston

If you want small, I'd go .243 or .22-250...barrel burners they say.

My 264 is on it's 3rd barrel. When I bought it it was shot out. The second barrel only lasted about 600 rounds. This 3rd barrel is a take off from another pre-64 and I only shoot it during season... 10 rounds a year... max.

Guest Mugster
My 264 is on it's 3rd barrel. When I bought it it was shot out. The second barrel only lasted about 600 rounds. This 3rd barrel is a take off from another pre-64 and I only shoot it during season... 10 rounds a year... max.

If you put a modern SS barrel on it, might last a little longer. FWIW, I was expecting 1500-2500 shots out of this sendero when I bought it. I'm only up to 900 shots, and so far, so good. Think I've burned right at 8 pounds of powder down it. I think this summer I'll shoot it up and rebarrel.

This sierra book has loads, looking them over (and I have no idea how close this is to actual):

85gr --> 3700

100gr --> 3600

120gr --> 3300

140gr --> 3000

Looks like an interesting rifle to play with.

Edited by Mugster
Guest colrmccoll

I have done what you are asking. I loaded 130 gn, zeroed at 350 yds and held on out to about 450 yds. Took it to Colorado and shot two mule deers over two years.

Guest gcrookston
I wish you would explain this.....I don't get it?

I've zeroed this rifle at 500 yrds. It remains zero at 700 yrds, but drops off at 1,000 yrds by about 2" to 4", or 1/4 MOA. The Unertl Hawk scope I have on the gun is perhaps not the best. My hunting is done in Colorado, Wyoming and Utah, where engaging game is usually at 300 to 600 yrds and the rifle and scope are sufficient for the task

1MOA (Minute of Angle), equals 1" at 100 yards, multiply that by 10 and you have 1,000 yards. so 1MOA at 1,000 yards equals 10". a 2"to4" drop at 1,000 yards is roughly under 1/4 moa. I averaged my results. Sorry if this was confusing.

Edited by gcrookston
Guest gcrookston
If you put a modern SS barrel on it, might last a little longer. .

Stainless Steel is softer than Steel. I have a Shilen .264 blank in the back of my safe that I will have turned to pre-64 contours next time. I think the barrel on here will last me about another 6 years, provided I don't get real lucky during Elk season up on the Madison this next fall.

Guest GUTTERbOY
I've zeroed this rifle at 500 yrds. It remains zero at 700 yrds, but drops off at 1,000 yrds by about 2" to 4", or 1/4 MOA. The Unertl Hawk scope I have on the gun is perhaps not the best. My hunting is done in Colorado, Wyoming and Utah, where engaging game is usually at 300 to 600 yrds and the rifle and scope are sufficient for the task

1MOA (Minute of Angle), equals 1" at 100 yards, multiply that by 10 and you have 1,000 yards. so 1MOA at 1,000 yards equals 10". a 2"to4" drop at 1,000 yards is roughly under 1/4 moa. I averaged my results. Sorry if this was confusing.

That's the first time I've ever heard anyone use MOA to describe bullet drop.

Guest smittyb
Best all round cartridge and as flat shooting as anything out there

Umm, first part is statement of opinion, and second is just not true.

Not that I realy have anything against it.

Best all round cartridge and as flat shooting as anything out there

Umm, first part is statement of opinion, and second is just not true.

Not that I realy have anything against it.

Hmm, facts maybe? Sale of .270 says that it is one of the most popular hunting calibers on any continent (Africa included) and trajectory and PB numbers say that it is as flat shooting as any of the ones mentioned. In fact it has almost identical numbers to the .264 WinMag over almost all distances and better than the .30's. It also compares favorably to the 7mm with same rise over 200 yrds and a greater MPB (Maximum point blank) range. Edited by Smith
Guest smittyb

OK, I want ANYONE to quantify why one cartridge, any cartridge is THE BEST. I promise there will be an equal number of people to suggest another. I mean come on, that's just the way the world works. It's like me telling you Ford makes the best all around truck, you may agree, but just as many other people are going to say Chevy or Dodge.

How many boxes of 30-30 have been sold over the years? I'd say a whole lot. Does that make it the best cartridge? We're not talking about a popularity contest here.

By MY ballistics tables, and hey they may be wrong, there are a number of cartridges that are flater than the .270. For instance, .270 WTHBY Mag, 7mmSTW, 7mmDakota, 7mm WTHBY Mag, The Lazzeroni 30's, and so on.

I have nothing against the .270, just seems you put a pretty bold blanket statement out there.