Frayser protests/riots

• Moderators

MEMPHIS, Tenn. (WMC) - United States Marshals shot and killed a man in Memphis on Wednesday night, sparking a major protest.

At least 25 officers were injured in the chaos. According to Memphis Police Director Mike Rallings, a crowd of people gathered after the shooting in protest, and some became unruly and began to throw rocks.

Most of those officers have minor injuries, but Rallings did say a few were seriously hurt. At least six of them were taken to the hospital, according to Memphis Mayor Jim Strickland. Rallings said there are reports of civilians being hurt, and urged anyone who may have injuries to call for help.

The shooting happened near 7 p.m. on Durham Street in Frayser. Tennessee Bureau of Investigation has been called in to investigate.

https://www.wmcactionnews5.com/2019/06/13/heavy-police-presence-frayser-neighborhood-after-reports-shooting/

• Moderators
9 minutes ago, Photoguy67 said:

TBI investigates all law enforcement shootings in Tennessee.

Makes sense. I guess I just didn't realize they would have the ability to investigate a Federal incident such as this.  I guess they can do whatever though as long as politics aren't directly involved.

They should have tested all their non-lethal riot gear, that is only emboldening these lowlifes when there is no consequences for their actions. I'd be danged if I would let someone hurl chunks of concrete at me without a response. 

• Moderators

I wondered on what basis could the rioters be protesting. It seems it is obvious to anyone honest with themselves that it was a justified shooting.

I now believe that perhaps part of the controversy is what allegedly happened afterwards.

https://www.theroot.com/protesters-and-police-clash-in-memphis-after-officer-in-1835485012

police shot some man and left him for dead and didn’t get him in the ambulance just left him in the grass

I don't know if this is true. If they did effectively and purposely let him bleed out, that is wrong. I have no idea if they did. But in a shooting where the suspect is downed and then disarmed, assuming there are no other apparent threats, I have the personal belief that law enforcement should do anything in their reasonable power to get the suspect as much medical attention needed as quickly as possible.

Yes, he did use his vehicle as a weapon and yes, he did theoretically jump out of his vehicle with the intent to go armed. But, as soon as he was downed and the scene was declared safe, EMS should have been there.

Again, I don't know how true that is regarding this situation. It may have little, if any, relevance.

49 minutes ago, GlockSpock said:

I wondered on what basis could the rioters be protesting. It seems it is obvious to anyone honest with themselves that it was a justified shooting.

I now believe that perhaps part of the controversy is what allegedly happened afterwards.

https://www.theroot.com/protesters-and-police-clash-in-memphis-after-officer-in-1835485012

police shot some man and left him for dead and didn’t get him in the ambulance just left him in the grass

I don't know if this is true. If they did effectively and purposely let him bleed out, that is wrong. I have no idea if they did. But in a shooting where the suspect is downed and then disarmed, assuming there are no other apparent threats, I have the personal belief that law enforcement should do anything in their reasonable power to get the suspect as much medical attention needed as quickly as possible.

Yes, he did use his vehicle as a weapon and yes, he did theoretically jump out of his vehicle with the intent to go armed. But, as soon as he was downed and the scene was declared safe, EMS should have been there.

Again, I don't know how true that is regarding this situation. It may have little, if any, relevance.

Given the source of the report I'll ignore it as total Bull :poop:

• Like 1

MEMPHIS, Tenn. (WMC) - Brandon Webber was wanted on multiple felony warrants out of Mississippi when he died Wednesday.

District Attorney John Champion, of the 17th Circuit Court of Mississippi, says Webber was suspected of shooting a DeSoto County man five times when he met the man to buy a car.

Speaking at a news conference Thursday, Champion said Webber met the victim in Hernando earlier this month. He test drove the victim’s vehicle, got out and shot the victim “in cold blood.” Webber then took off in the victim’s car.

The victim, who is still in the hospital, picked Webber out of a photo lineup. A second suspect in that shooting is still at large.

Champion says the Gulf Coast Regional Fugitive Task Force was responsible for taking Webber into custody. He also says the car Webber was driving when he encountered marshals Wednesday was the earlier victim’s car.

https://www.wmcactionnews5.com/2019/06/13/prosecutor-says-man-killed-by-marshals-was-suspect-desoto-county-shooting/

• Like 1
  • Moderators
On 6/13/2019 at 1:31 PM, GlockSpock said:

There was a lot of rumor and misinformation being circulated last night. There were rumors being spread on the socials that he was shot after being handcuffed along with a lot of “he was a good boy in college and a father” as well. As if that’s relevant to what actually happened. 

Based on the available information including Weber’s own social media activity immediately prior to the incident, this was entirely his doing. I can’t see where the marshals erred. 

Also, while the MPD would have been justified in taking more aggressive measures against the rioters, I must commend them for making the sacrifice to place themselves at risk by using their discretion to use a softer hand and avoid exacerbating an already volatile situation. It had the high possibility of spreading and setting the whole city aflame and they managed to defuse it. They deserve the thanks of anyone who cares for Memphis. 

Edited by Chucktshoes
  • Administrator
5 minutes ago, E4 No More said:

Anyone pointed out to these morons that it was Feds who killed him; not the police?

I don't think any of that really matters to these people.  It didn't matter to them that the deceased was a criminal thug, either.  They are propping him up as a victim.

That whole culture dumbfounds me.

• Like 2
  • Moderators

There are myriad cases of malfeasance that highlight the issues with modern policing. I don’t understand why folks choose obviously good shoots of bad actors like this guy or Michael Brown as the hills to die on. It’s hugely counterproductive if you want real reform. It’s frustrating to no end. 

Edited by Chucktshoes
  • Like 5
1 hour ago, Chucktshoes said:

There are myriad cases of malfeasance that highlight the issues with modern policing. I don’t understand why folks choose obviously good shoots of bad actors like this guy or Michael Brown as the hills to die on. It’s hugely counterproductive if you want real reform. It’s frustrating to no end. 

Makes perfect sense, but there are some in the civil rights industry who aren’t interested in real reform. 

• Like 3
On 6/13/2019 at 2:31 PM, GlockSpock said:

I have the personal belief that law enforcement should do anything in their reasonable power to get the suspect as much medical attention needed as quickly as possible.

No clue to procedure, but EMS ought to be dialed up after the first shot, if not sooner. Just my .02...

The narrative is white LE is systematically targeting and killing black men.

Rail on, "well, it is Memphis."

Wonder if people GA, CA, or IL say, "well it is Atlanta, South Central, Chicago."

While my personal habits won't change a thing, I'm a middle-aged white guy who wears a suit, if approached by LE, they're going to see my empty hands with no sketchy body language.

• Like 1