Bring me my brown pants...

Custer's last words?

Actually, the difference between 5.11 and TruSpec.

When not working, I am usually wearing tacti-cool pants.

To the casual observer, with no other operator-like clothing or logo'd apparel and top siders, more like ubiquitous cargo pants.

Add a button down shirt, patterned sport coat and nice shoes, you'd be surprised how dressy the effect can be.

I started with 5.11, traded some ammo for two pairs 5 years ago.

34" waist, gave me +1/2" plus the stretch band for AIWB.

Still have those pants, still serviceable. Cuffs and seams are not frayed and they have some stains. Did not follow care instructions, so never turned inside out to wash. This probably washed out the Teflon faster than normal.

Bought a third pair, $49.99 everywhere.

Have since lost some weight and switched to OWB, can still cinch down the 34s without excess fabric gathering.

Strolling through SMKW, I see Tru-Spec, $39.95.

For $10 cheaper, I'll try out a blue pair.

Belt loops in slightly different positions, stretchy part is hidden within the band, all the pockets have Velcro fasteners.

Wore the Tru-Specs to a carbine class in the rain.

1. The Teflon did an amazing job of repelling water. I assume equal performance with a fresher pair of 5.11s

2. Discovered the large cargo pockets are subdivided, so I was easily able to stow and move with 4 - 30 round .30cal carbine mags. 

3. The front pocket slash is slightly smaller than the 5.11s

4. Depending on what your activity is, each has benefits.

5.11 with large front and rear pocket slashes make it easy to access and stow extra mags or gear.

Tru-Spec allows for secure storage, but not as easy to access the flapped and Velcro'd back pockets.

I also have better access for front pocket carry with the 5.11s

Edited by A.J. Holst
  • Like 2

Look Mr. GQ, you need to fatten up like the rest of us huskey old farts!  Don't come around here bragging about being skinny.  We don't want to hear it!!! 🤣🤣🤣

Seriously, I work with a bunch of nerds (translated Engineers) and one of them wears tactical pants and button downs all the time.  It's not a bad look at all.  No sports coat though. :)

• Like 2

I like tacticool pants and shorts.  Not so much for the tacticalness but I loves me some big pockets and lots of them!  Great for shooting for sure, and when I go to the range I also take a tactical conceal vest as well, not for the tacticoolness of it but for the pockets,  man!  If it didnt scream both GUN and mall ninja, I'd wear a vest all the time for the pockets, lol.  I can squeeze a lot into a pair of jeans, and I aint just talking about my body, but with tactical pants I can carry what i like.  Regular cargo ones mostly work almost just as well for me.  Course, my FORO (fear of running out) phobias are what make me roll with a bag in my car with lots of 'extras' to see me thru the day, too.

• Like 1

Blessed with good metabolism and very little fast / fried foods and alcohol.

Regarding the Tru-Specs, cargo pockets will hold 2 AR mags.

With a proper belt, up to 120 extra rounds without a rig.

Since I like to work out of pockets, I should do one of those "how much stuff can you carry" short videos.

3 hours ago, A.J. Holst said:

Blessed with good metabolism and very little fast / fried foods and alcohol.

Regarding the Tru-Specs, cargo pockets will hold 2 AR mags.

With a proper belt, up to 120 extra rounds without a rig.

Since I like to work out of pockets, I should do one of those "how much stuff can you carry" short videos.

The real important thing is what do you carry everyday? Chances are you will need stuff when you least expect it. 

• Like 1

FORO is not a problem for me.  My normal carry is a Ruger LCP and two extra 6 round mags or a S&W 442 with two speed strips or a SA XDs. .45ACP loaded with 6 rounds and 2 extra 7 round mags.  So usually I'm looking at 15, 19 or 20 Rounds.  This feels adequete for me. 

8 hours ago, Moped said:

FORO is not a problem for me.  My normal carry is a Ruger LCP and two extra 6 round mags or a S&W 442 with two speed strips or a SA XDs. .45ACP loaded with 6 rounds and 2 extra 7 round mags.  So usually I'm looking at 15, 19 or 20 Rounds.  This feels adequete for me. 

Yeah, well maybe for most normal folks, lol.  My FORO is completely illogical and not fact based, what can I say?

• Like 1

If you are a Amazon Prime member, you can get these $29.99 delivered 2 day free. I love pockets. Biggest problem, I get too many pocket, I forget what pocket I put things in. Actually need to have to practice a moa for them. I got tired of spending lot of money on the name brands. These are actually very comfortable and give you more options than the name brands in most cases. They feel very comfortable, ykk zippers and they seem to last.
Free Soldier brand. They are China based so if you are a staunch supporter of Made in USA products, you may want to look elsewhere. But there are lots of brands not made here including almost all the name brands like Wrangler, Levis, Lee, etc.. 5.11 and Tru Spec are also not made in USA.
Check them out...
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07CBJDM7C/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

• Thanks 1
1 hour ago, BHunted said:

If you are a Amazon Prime member, you can get these $29.99 delivered 2 day free. I love pockets. Biggest problem, I get too many pocket, I forget what pocket I put things in. Actually need to have to practice a moa for them. I got tired of spending lot of money on the name brands. These are actually very comfortable and give you more options than the name brands in most cases. They feel very comfortable, ykk zippers and they seem to last.
Free Soldier brand. They are China based so if you are a staunch supporter of Made in USA products, you may want to look elsewhere. But there are lots of brands not made here including almost all the name brands like Wrangler, Levis, Lee, etc.. 5.11 and Tru Spec are also not made in USA.
Check them out...
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07CBJDM7C/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Do these run true to size? I have found lots of these Asian brands run small. Looks like 42 is the largest size so it leaves some who are prepared for hibernation out. Also, are they hot with the waterproofing? I just imagine them not breathing very well. 

• Haha 1
54 minutes ago, Ronald_55 said:

Do these run true to size? I have found lots of these Asian brands run small. Looks like 42 is the largest size so it leaves some who are prepared for hibernation out. Also, are they hot with the waterproofing? I just imagine them not breathing very well. 

"Prepared for hibernation", that fits me, lmao.

5 hours ago, Ronald_55 said:

Pretty much. They are not rough and they seem to breath fine. But then again, they are water proof.

2 hours ago, BHunted said:

Pretty much. They are not rough and they seem to breath fine. But then again, they are water proof.

If similar to my experience, they're don't wear "hot" because of the relaxed fit.

For wet and cold, the water proofing does a great job of keeping a thermal layer dry, so they are multi seasonal.

Checking out the link, you have to be a savvy and patient shopper. Certain sizes and or colors get discounted (my light gray TS were $29 at SMKW, all other colors were $39)

Amazon also revealed the entry price point seems to be $35+ for decent pants.

I like paying between 30 and 40, but would go 50-60 for American-made, any suggestions?

Ilike a lot of LA Police Gear stuff.  My problem with them is they dont have a lot of clothing for those of us 'ready for hibernation' (Ronald_55).   Actually, I have a 34" waist.  I wear IWB and I have a huge gun. Ok, maybe I slightly exaggerate about the size of the gun...and the waist.  Ok maybe not so slightly.  Ok, I'm hibernation ready....

• Haha 2