Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
A.J. Holst

Bring me my brown pants...

Recommended Posts

Custer's last words?

Actually, the difference between 5.11 and TruSpec.

When not working, I am usually wearing tacti-cool pants.

To the casual observer, with no other operator-like clothing or logo'd apparel and top siders, more like ubiquitous cargo pants.

Add a button down shirt, patterned sport coat and nice shoes, you'd be surprised how dressy the effect can be.

I started with 5.11, traded some ammo for two pairs 5 years ago.

34" waist, gave me +1/2" plus the stretch band for AIWB.

Still have those pants, still serviceable. Cuffs and seams are not frayed and they have some stains. Did not follow care instructions, so never turned inside out to wash. This probably washed out the Teflon faster than normal.

Bought a third pair, $49.99 everywhere.

Have since lost some weight and switched to OWB, can still cinch down the 34s without excess fabric gathering.

Strolling through SMKW, I see Tru-Spec, $39.95.

For $10 cheaper, I'll try out a blue pair.

Belt loops in slightly different positions, stretchy part is hidden within the band, all the pockets have Velcro fasteners.

Wore the Tru-Specs to a carbine class in the rain.

1. The Teflon did an amazing job of repelling water. I assume equal performance with a fresher pair of 5.11s

2. Discovered the large cargo pockets are subdivided, so I was easily able to stow and move with 4 - 30 round .30cal carbine mags. 

3. The front pocket slash is slightly smaller than the 5.11s

4. Depending on what your activity is, each has benefits.

5.11 with large front and rear pocket slashes make it easy to access and stow extra mags or gear.

Tru-Spec allows for secure storage, but not as easy to access the flapped and Velcro'd back pockets.

I also have better access for front pocket carry with the 5.11s

Edited by A.J. Holst
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Look Mr. GQ, you need to fatten up like the rest of us huskey old farts!  Don't come around here bragging about being skinny.  We don't want to hear it!!! 🤣🤣🤣

Seriously, I work with a bunch of nerds (translated Engineers) and one of them wears tactical pants and button downs all the time.  It's not a bad look at all.  No sports coat though. :)

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I make any pants I wear tactical...

 

And I can get about 1 leg in a 34 waistband...

  • Haha 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I like tacticool pants and shorts.  Not so much for the tacticalness but I loves me some big pockets and lots of them!  Great for shooting for sure, and when I go to the range I also take a tactical conceal vest as well, not for the tacticoolness of it but for the pockets,  man!  If it didnt scream both GUN and mall ninja, I'd wear a vest all the time for the pockets, lol.  I can squeeze a lot into a pair of jeans, and I aint just talking about my body, but with tactical pants I can carry what i like.  Regular cargo ones mostly work almost just as well for me.  Course, my FORO (fear of running out) phobias are what make me roll with a bag in my car with lots of 'extras' to see me thru the day, too.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Defender said:

...FORO (fear of running out) phobias...

I never heard anything describe me so well...lol

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Blessed with good metabolism and very little fast / fried foods and alcohol.

Regarding the Tru-Specs, cargo pockets will hold 2 AR mags.

With a proper belt, up to 120 extra rounds without a rig.

Since I like to work out of pockets, I should do one of those "how much stuff can you carry" short videos.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, A.J. Holst said:

Blessed with good metabolism and very little fast / fried foods and alcohol.

Regarding the Tru-Specs, cargo pockets will hold 2 AR mags.

With a proper belt, up to 120 extra rounds without a rig.

Since I like to work out of pockets, I should do one of those "how much stuff can you carry" short videos.

The real important thing is what do you carry everyday? Chances are you will need stuff when you least expect it. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

FORO is not a problem for me.  My normal carry is a Ruger LCP and two extra 6 round mags or a S&W 442 with two speed strips or a SA XDs. .45ACP loaded with 6 rounds and 2 extra 7 round mags.  So usually I'm looking at 15, 19 or 20 Rounds.  This feels adequete for me. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Moped said:

FORO is not a problem for me.  My normal carry is a Ruger LCP and two extra 6 round mags or a S&W 442 with two speed strips or a SA XDs. .45ACP loaded with 6 rounds and 2 extra 7 round mags.  So usually I'm looking at 15, 19 or 20 Rounds.  This feels adequete for me. 

Yeah, well maybe for most normal folks, lol.  My FORO is completely illogical and not fact based, what can I say?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Every time I see this post pop up the title makes me think a fella’s planning to have an accident.  

  • Like 1
  • Haha 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have both 5.11 and tru spec several tru spec and only 2 pair of 5.11. I wear them almost daily for work. Very comfortable 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Defender said:

Yeah, well maybe for most normal folks, lol.  My FORO is completely illogical and not fact based, what can I say?

You see, this looks like about the right carry option for me...

53620cd8593494c06bd0591fa4b13e69--pelican-case-gun-cases.thumb.jpg.c4e26dba09581ed1b11396e7f0104b96.jpg

 

Or maybe this

spacer.png

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If you are a Amazon Prime member, you can get these $29.99 delivered 2 day free. I love pockets. Biggest problem, I get too many pocket, I forget what pocket I put things in. Actually need to have to practice a moa for them. I got tired of spending lot of money on the name brands. These are actually very comfortable and give you more options than the name brands in most cases. They feel very comfortable, ykk zippers and they seem to last.
Free Soldier brand. They are China based so if you are a staunch supporter of Made in USA products, you may want to look elsewhere. But there are lots of brands not made here including almost all the name brands like Wrangler, Levis, Lee, etc.. 5.11 and Tru Spec are also not made in USA.
Check them out...
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07CBJDM7C/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, BHunted said:

If you are a Amazon Prime member, you can get these $29.99 delivered 2 day free. I love pockets. Biggest problem, I get too many pocket, I forget what pocket I put things in. Actually need to have to practice a moa for them. I got tired of spending lot of money on the name brands. These are actually very comfortable and give you more options than the name brands in most cases. They feel very comfortable, ykk zippers and they seem to last.
Free Soldier brand. They are China based so if you are a staunch supporter of Made in USA products, you may want to look elsewhere. But there are lots of brands not made here including almost all the name brands like Wrangler, Levis, Lee, etc.. 5.11 and Tru Spec are also not made in USA.
Check them out...
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07CBJDM7C/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

 

Do these run true to size? I have found lots of these Asian brands run small. Looks like 42 is the largest size so it leaves some who are prepared for hibernation out. Also, are they hot with the waterproofing? I just imagine them not breathing very well. 

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, Ronald_55 said:

Do these run true to size? I have found lots of these Asian brands run small. Looks like 42 is the largest size so it leaves some who are prepared for hibernation out. Also, are they hot with the waterproofing? I just imagine them not breathing very well. 

"Prepared for hibernation", that fits me, lmao.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Defender said:

"Prepared for hibernation", that fits me, lmao.

Me too!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Ronald_55 said:

Do these run true to size? I have found lots of these Asian brands run small. Looks like 42 is the largest size so it leaves some who are prepared for hibernation out. Also, are they hot with the waterproofing? I just imagine them not breathing very well. 

Pretty much. They are not rough and they seem to breath fine. But then again, they are water proof.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, BHunted said:

Pretty much. They are not rough and they seem to breath fine. But then again, they are water proof.

If similar to my experience, they're don't wear "hot" because of the relaxed fit.

For wet and cold, the water proofing does a great job of keeping a thermal layer dry, so they are multi seasonal.

Checking out the link, you have to be a savvy and patient shopper. Certain sizes and or colors get discounted (my light gray TS were $29 at SMKW, all other colors were $39)

Amazon also revealed the entry price point seems to be $35+ for decent pants.

I like paying between 30 and 40, but would go 50-60 for American-made, any suggestions?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/19/2019 at 5:58 PM, Garufa said:

Every time I see this post pop up the title makes me think a fella’s planning to have an accident.  

I keep thinking of this... 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I always liked the LA Police Gear operator pants.  I think every pair I bought has been sub-$30.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ilike a lot of LA Police Gear stuff.  My problem with them is they dont have a lot of clothing for those of us 'ready for hibernation' (Ronald_55).   Actually, I have a 34" waist.  I wear IWB and I have a huge gun. Ok, maybe I slightly exaggerate about the size of the gun...and the waist.  Ok maybe not so slightly.  Ok, I'm hibernation ready....

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

The Fine Print

Tennessee Gun Owners (TNGunOwners.com) is the premier Community and Discussion Forum for gun owners, firearm enthusiasts, sportsmen and Second Amendment proponents in the state of Tennessee and surrounding region.

TNGunOwners.com (TGO) is a presentation of Enthusiast Productions. The TGO state flag logo and the TGO tri-hole "icon" logo are trademarks of Tennessee Gun Owners. The TGO logos and all content presented on this site may not be reproduced in any form without express written permission. The opinions expressed on TGO are those of their authors and do not necessarily reflect those of the site's owners or staff.

Before engaging in any transaction of goods or services on TGO, all parties involved must know and follow the local, state and Federal laws regarding those transactions. TGO makes no claims, guarantees or assurances regarding any such transactions.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to the following.
Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines