Flying with Handgun

I will be flying in the next few weeks and have a few questions.

I will be using a hard style pelican case. I will be taking along my 1911 and spare mag.

Can I put a full unopened box of ammo in this checked pelican case?

Do I need to buy the "TSA" approved locks?

Can I put my pocket knife in this locked Pelican case with my Firearm?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated......haha  I usually just drive to where I'm going.

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

4 hours ago, TLRMADE said:

Can I put a full unopened box of ammo in this checked pelican case?

Do I need to buy the "TSA" approved locks?

On the ammo, NO, NO, HE'LL NO! Never mind

Yes to the TSA locks.

Edited by RED333
Learned me something
  • Like 1
4 hours ago, DaveTN said:

Yes, you can put your ammo in the checked gun case.

You might want to read this...

https://www.tsa.gov/travel/transporting-firearms-and-ammunition

4 hours ago, GlockSpock said:

• Small arms ammunition, including ammunition not exceeding .75 caliber and shotgun shells of any gauge, may be carried in the same hard-sided case as the firearm.

Thanks much for the info, learned something.

11 hours ago, chances R said:

But if you put your gun case inside your luggage I would use TSA locks on the luggage.  Private lock on gun case.  I also put a label on the gun case with cell number should they need me to open it.

So what im gathering.......

Put TSA lock on luggage.....bc i will be putting hard shell case inside luggage, and put personal lock on gun case and label with cell # (thats a really good idea).

And I'm good to go on 1 unopened box of 45acp......?

18 minutes ago, TLRMADE said:

So what im gathering.......

Put TSA lock on luggage.....bc i will be putting hard shell case inside luggage, and put personal lock on gun case and label with cell # (thats a really good idea).

And I'm good to go on 1 unopened box of 45acp......?

Check the website of the airlines you will be flying.... here is what SouthWest has to say.

https://www.southwest.com/html/customer-service/baggage/special-luggage-pol.html

Guns and Ammunition

Guns

Customers are responsible for knowing and following the firearms laws of the state(s) that they will be traveling to, from, and through.

Our Customers must declare the gun to the Customer Service Agent at the ticket counter (no firearms will be accepted curbside) and ensure that the firearm(s) chambers are free of ammunition and the magazine clip has been removed (when applicable). Paintball guns and BB guns are considered the same as all other firearms.

Paintball guns are allowed in checked baggage and are not subject to the container requirements of firearms. Customers must declare the paintball gun to the Customer Service Agent at the ticket counter. Compressed gas cylinders are allowed in checked baggage or as a carryon only if the regulator valve is completely disconnected from the cylinder and the cylinder is no longer sealed (i.e., the cylinder has an open end). TSA Security Screeners must visibly ensure that the cylinder is completely empty and that there are no prohibited items inside.

Firearms must be encased in a hard-sided, locked container that is of sufficient strength to withstand normal handling, as follows:

A firearm in a hard-sided, locked container may be placed inside a soft-sided, unlocked suitcase.

A firearm placed inside a hard-sided, locked suitcase does not have to be encased in a container manufactured for the transportation of firearms.

The locked container or suitcase must completely secure the firearm from access. Cases or suitcases that can be pulled open with minimal effort do not meet the locked criterion.

The Customer checking the luggage should retain the key or combination to the lock, and may use any brand or type of lock to secure the firearm case (including TSA-recognized locks).

Firearms may be checked and will count toward the two-piece free baggage allowance for each fare-paying passenger. We allow multiple firearms to be transported inside one hard-sided case.

Southwest Airlines assumes no liability for the misalignment of sights on firearms, including those equipped with telescopic sights.

Firearms are never allowed in carryon luggage.

Ammunition

Small arms ammunition for personal use (provided it is properly packed) is permissible in checked baggage only.

The ammunition may be placed in the same container as the firearm and must be securely packed in cardboard (fiber), wood, or metal boxes, or other packaging specifically designed to carry small amounts of ammunition.

When checking ammunition, Customers are limited to 11 pounds gross weight (ammunition plus container) per person.

Magazines or clips containing ammunition must be securely packaged (placed in another small box or in a secure cutout in the carrying case, in order to protect the primer of the ammunition).

Make sure guns are unloaded and definitely never transport a gun in your carryon baggage!

Gunpowder (black powder) and primers or percussion caps are not allowed in checked or carryon baggage.

Loose ammunition or loose loaded magazines and/or clips are not allowed.

Paintballs must be packaged in a leak-proof container and will be subject to limited release.

Keep TSA's rules and your airline's terms of service handy, sometimes the employees don't know their own policies. 

Tell them you're checking a firearm at the desk. Don't go through security until they've come and inspected it. 

Know the gun laws for everywhere you'll be, including layovers. In the event of a diversion, do not take possession of your luggage in a prohibitive city or state.  They'll turn right around and arrest you. 

Edited by peejman