Effective July 1

The company I work for has a "no phone use" while driving. My thinking is LEO will hit hard for a some weeks to a few months, then slack off for a bit.

Edited by RED333
Because I can
  • Like 1
4 hours ago, Garufa said:

Don’t be driving around holding a phone.  The “hands free” law goes into effect.

Looking at several holders now. Really don't like any of them. Might just give up phone in car completely. lol

I mean we all survived before cell phones...surely we can do it again. Maybe.

• Like 2
3 hours ago, gregintenn said:

What do you all think of this law?

I have issues with it.   It shouldn't be a law.   

But ultimately, it won't matter.   It won't be enforced.   Drivers will ignore it.   Nothing will change. 

• Like 4

Texting/driving is insane! but....

I talk/answer, glance for a second at text highlights when they pop up. Guess I'll have to get a blue tooth ear thing.

Realtors who dont anwer phones aren't Realtors for long. 

Maybe being a Realtor is insane?

One thing I do alot is speak map directions into phone. I also look at directions Guess thats a no no now too.

7 hours ago, gregintenn said:

I'll tell you what I think and it probably won't be popular.  I spend a considerable amount of time in my car.  A drive roughly 30k per year.  I use my phone a lot in my car for both business and personal use.  

Now I'll knock on wood.  I haven't had a speeding conviction in 13 years.  I haven't been involved in an accident in 18 years.  I drive in Nashville rush hour traffic several times per week.  I have a perfect driving record.  

Do I talk on my phone while driving?  Yes.  Do I text while driving? Yes, but I do use voice to text.  Do I look at my phone while driving? Yes.  I also do these things judiciously so as not to endanger others.  I actually don't mess with my phone at all when I am in rush hour traffic. Back roads with little traffic and stop lights are a different story, though I do pay attention to the light.  I absolutely will not be that guy doesn't realize that the light turns green because I'm on my phone.  I wonder just how many people who caused this law to come into effect drive the amount of miles without the violations and accidents that I do?  

I'm in favor of it.  I spent an entire chapter or two of my life on the phone (work related at the office) and now I pretty much despise a phone.  I have a cell phone to keep the peace at the house (happy wife, happy life thing) so she can call or text me when I'm not home or not home when she expects me to be home.  I usually leave it in the truck so I don't lose the phone.  My phone is "paired up" with my truck, and may/may not pair it with her car.  She needs to pair her phone with her car in case of an emergency tho.  

Maybe this law will reduce the number of left lane larry's and lisa's who won't move over because they are on their phone.  

I was surprised to see that deaths caused by distracted drivers are approaching that caused by drunk drivers. I’m not sure how they know that; but I suspect those that are the problem will not change; just like drunk drivers.

Not doing something that will kill people while driving a car is basic common sense. People that need laws to explain it to them don’t have a chance.

• Like 1
5 hours ago, Capbyrd said:

I have issues with it.   It shouldn't be a law.   

But ultimately, it won't matter.   It won't be enforced.   Drivers will ignore it.   Nothing will change. 

That is a fact. There isn't enough LEO to enforce it. I see truck drivers all the time talking on a phone, saw a dump truck driver doing it today.  CDL  holders were not to use a hand held for quite awhile. I am wondering if this will apply to LEO also??

• Like 1
20 minutes ago, Dirtshooter said:

That is a fact. There isn't enough LEO to enforce it. I see truck drivers all the time talking on a phone, saw a dump truck driver doing it today.  CDL  holders were not to use a hand held for quite awhile. I am wondering if this will apply to LEO also??

Its for safety reasons so it should...try enforcing that..

8 hours ago, gregintenn said:

I think it’s a shame we need it but we do.  

Generally, I’m not too keen on any more behavior modification laws, but this is different.  People operating a vehicle need to be focused on driving and not causing fatal accidents, damaging the property of others, and generally inconveniencing every one else trying to get somewhere.

Of course enforcement is not the question or even an issue.  Cops can’t enforce most of the laws on the books anyway, there simply aren’t enough of them.  The point is to make people of aware and most will (might) eventually adjust their (bad) habits on the road.

Edited by Garufa
  • Like 1

For quite awhile I wished the phones would be programmed to not work while in a vehicle. No text, no talk, no gps, no nothing. People are poorer drivers because of all the devices, heck I have seen knotheads watching movies while driving. It is dangerous enough out there if people are paying attention. Then add to this the idiots that are drinking or high on dope and driving.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Dirtshooter said:

LEO, first responders, and utility works are exempt.