Effective July 1

Once again we are trying to legislate stupidity... Another race to the dimmest person out there.

I want to see a law that says for every new law they have to eliminate 5 old ones. Or better, how about a law that says if it hasn't been cited in 5 years it is null and void.

• Like 4
  • Moderators
10 minutes ago, Mark A said:

I don't know why it double posted and apparently I'm too stupid to figure out how to delete the second post

Double posts happen from time to time, but you aren’t too stupid to figure out how to delete the second post. You’re just not allowed. 😬

I’m for hands free. I can’t stand seeing the people who drive around holding their phone like it’s a piece of pizza. That’s not any safer than holding it to your ear. Plus I can’t stand talking to someone on speaker. It sounds like you are in a cave. I also don’t like that LEO are exempt. I don’t think that they are any better at driving.

• Like 4

We had that law in NJ for years. It ends up being an unenforceable law. PD will have to cross your path or set up check points to catch you.
It's even worse when PD are also not using a hands free function. Bad examples...

In all reality, it boils down to 'if you get into an accident or cause one, then they will see if it was caused by lack of common sense where the driver was using their phones'. They will then add additional violations. What happens even more so, a fatality is involved.
For the life of me, why not use some sort of hands free device? Having a crick in your neck is distracting enough. Also, most newer cars have BT built in. It's a no brainer for me. Regardless of the law. It's just easier.... 

My truck doesn't have BT built in, but my Garmin GPS does and it links to my phone.

IMO, the law is unenforceable.  Speeding and crossing over the centerline are much more obvious, but if there's no cop to see it, did it really happen?

• Like 2
49 minutes ago, enfield said:

My truck doesn't have BT built in, but my Garmin GPS does and it links to my phone.

IMO, the law is unenforceable.  Speeding and crossing over the centerline are much more obvious, but if there's no cop to see it, did it really happen?

IIRC, THP has tractor/trailer rigs that they use to look down into cars to see if the driver is texting. If they would go to that extreme for texting then what makes you think they can't enforce hands free which is much more visible?

• Like 1
  • Moderators
22 minutes ago, Capbyrd said:

Would indentured servitude be more apt than serfdom as a descriptor? 

Nah. Indentured servitude was voluntarily entered into and theoretically had a defined end term. 

• Like 1
On 6/18/2019 at 11:21 PM, Chucktshoes said:

Yeah, I spend all day on the phone. It keeps me from dying of boredom. An inward facing camera is on my list of things that are a hard pass for me with regards to working for a company. 

I'm confused by this. How can you both drive and be on your phone all day? I don't imagine there are many trucking companies left without cab cameras. As someone who had to coach drivers on their behavior, I genuinely don't understand the issue. I  can only see what you do when the camera is activated. It's not like I can turn it on whenever I choose and see you picking your nose. The drivers that try to cover up the cab cameras don't last very long for us. 

• Moderators
7 minutes ago, Erik88 said:

I'm confused by this. How can you both drive and be on your phone all day? I don't imagine there are many trucking companies left without cab cameras. As someone who had to coach drivers on their behavior, I genuinely don't understand the issue. I  can only see what you do when the camera is activated. It's not like I can turn it on whenever I choose and see you picking your nose. The drivers that try to cover up the cab cameras don't last very long for us. 

I have a crew of other drivers that I talk to. Driving a CMV while talking on the phone using a headset is legal and isn’t rocket surgery. We drive and chat all day. 

As far as cab facing cameras go, while increasingly common, they are by no means universal or even close to it. My take on them is if you can’t trust me to get your freight from point a to be safely without your eye in the sky watching me, you don’t need me to be hauling for you. My company tested them and determined that they were a greater liability than potential benefit. Anyone who wants to put a camera on me can pound sand. 

• Like 3
6 minutes ago, Chucktshoes said:

I have a crew of other drivers that I talk to. Driving a CMV while talking on the phone using a headset is legal and isn’t rocket surgery. We drive and chat all day. 

As far as cab facing cameras go, while increasingly common, they are by no means universal or even close to it. My take on them is if you can’t trust me to get your freight from point a to be safely without your eye in the sky watching me, you don’t need me to be hauling for you. My company tested them and determined that they were a greater liability than potential benefit. Anyone who wants to put a camera on me can pound sand. 

I would trust you. There are a lot of other drivers I do not trust.  I have noticed an increasing amount of aggressive truck drivers the past few years.

But I think you have it backwards. If we didn't trust our drivers do you really think we would want to record them? Hell no. The cameras are there to prove the other vehicle was at fault due to the large amount of false claims brought against truck drivers. In class, we actually watched a video where multiple eyewitnesses came forward to say the truck driver ran a red light. As it turns out, he did not. 

Every time our drivers are in a wreck that wasn't their fault, they are thankful for the cameras.  

1 minute ago, Erik88 said:

I would trust you. There are a lot of other drivers I do not trust.  I have noticed an increasing amount of aggressive truck drivers the past few years.

But I think you have it backwards. If we didn't trust our drivers do you really think we would want to record them? Hell no. The cameras are there to prove the other vehicle was at fault due to the large amount of false claims brought against truck drivers. In class, we actually watched a video where multiple eyewitnesses came forward to say the truck driver ran a red light. As it turns out, he did not. 

Every time our drivers are in a wreck that wasn't their fault, they are thankful for the cameras.  

How does an inward facing camera prove that the light wasn't red? There is a massive difference between a dash cam and a driver cam. 

Edited by Capbyrd
Just now, Capbyrd said:

How does an inward facing camera prove that the light wasn't red? 

The outward facing camera proved the light was green. The inward facing camera showed the driver was doing exactly what he should have been doing. Again, if we didn't trust our drivers we wouldn't want to record them. It's kinda like body cameras for cops. If you don't have anything to hide why would you care? Those are actually worse because they record all the time(in theory). These cameras only start recording in the event of severe braking, swerving, etc. 

54 minutes ago, Erik88 said:

The outward facing camera proved the light was green. The inward facing camera showed the driver was doing exactly what he should have been doing. Again, if we didn't trust our drivers we wouldn't want to record them. It's kinda like body cameras for cops. If you don't have anything to hide why would you care? Those are actually worse because they record all the time(in theory). These cameras only start recording in the event of severe braking, swerving, etc. 

Your job is to watch guys drive a truck all day? Sounds titillating.:stare:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Hell I’ve set my camera off three times this week. I haven’t been called in for coaching by someone who has never driven a truck yet. They still say no to hands free. Like I said earlier, it’s the only way I talk on a phone , driving or not.

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, martin5 said:

I haven’t been called in for coaching by someone who has never driven a truck yet

The coaching goes both ways. I've used it to give praise a lot as well. When I gave negative feedback it was usually because the driver was one car length from the 4wheeler in front of them while doing 65. I don't need to drive a truck to know that's unsafe. Because of the driver shortage we're scraping the bottom of the barrel for qualified drivers and hiring people that really shouldn't be driving. Surely you guys have noticed the bad truck drivers on the road? It's not just passneger vehicles with poor drivers.

8 hours ago, E4 No More said:

IIRC, THP has tractor/trailer rigs that they use to look down into cars to see if the driver is texting. If they would go to that extreme for texting then what makes you think they can't enforce hands free which is much more visible? 

Yea I bet that would work real good on the 2 lane that I drive daily. Have had the knotheads and I used the nice word have all 4 of their tires on my side of the double yellow in a curve. Just as always when seconds or milliseconds count the LEO is 30 minutes away. They cannot  enforce this law and it is very similar to the 18th amendment to the constitution banning alcohol. You know what that law did?? It made people go underground so to speak in places called speak easies. It made the Kennedy clan rich from the Canadian whiskey. What it didn't do is keep Americans from drinking alcohol. You cannot make enough laws that mandate peoples actions. It will not work.