I bought a bow

Shame, Shame, Shame - Yep I did it and I feel dirty! Should show up in a couple of weeks.

• Matthew Vertix
  • Ultrarest Intergrate MX
  • Energy Wave Bow Strings
  • Spot HOGG IT Sight
  • Matthew 8inch Flatline Stab
  • Matthews 6 Arrow Quiver
  • Scott LittleGoose
  • Yellow Jacket Target
  • Like 1

Yep I hear you all.  I really don't think i'll be proficient enough for this season. Its going to depend on how much I shoot, I am suck a weakling. I had that sucker pulled back to 45lbs as I was struggling, they said that the muscle memory will come in time so I have a 60lb module in it and can increase as I settle into it.  I know some folks shoot at 90lbs.  I could not even imagine that!  To me, it would be like trying to pull a train!

Edited by ShaggyRS6
On 6/19/2019 at 9:14 AM, ShaggyRS6 said:

I do feel completely inadequate at the moment :)

Don't sweat what weight others are pulling. Far more important to reliably put your first shot where you want it at a variety of distances, accurately judge distances, know the anatomy of your game and which presentations provide an opportunity for an ethical shot, and to be willing to wait for that.

As was mentioned, you don't need to pull all that much to be lethal. A rule of thumb I've heard about draw weight is that you should be able to present your bow to the target and draw it straight back (vs aim it upwards and draw while the bow is bright down on the target)  while you're sitting down. 

On 6/18/2019 at 9:34 PM, ShaggyRS6 said:

I really don't think i'll be proficient enough for this season.

Deer season is five months away. :squint:

You spent a lot of money on top quality equipment from your bow, to your sight, to your release. Get with someone (even if you have to pay them) and in two or three sessions you should be ready to hunt deer. The archery part of it isn’t hard; don’t talk yourself into thinking it is. Getting a shot at a deer is a different story.

I had an Indian friend tell me once that if his ancestors would have had compound bows; this country would still be theirs. :)

• Like 1
1 hour ago, DaveTN said:

Deer season is five months away. :squint:

You spent a lot of money on top quality equipment from your bow, to your sight, to your release. Get with someone (even if you have to pay them) and in two or three sessions you should be ready to hunt deer. The archery part of it isn’t hard; don’t talk yourself into thinking it is. Getting a shot at a deer is a different story.

I had an Indian friend tell me once that if his ancestors would have had compound bows; this country would still be theirs. :)

Thanks for the vote of confidence Dave. I think I’ll be good enough. When I was shooting the bow at the store I was consistently hitting the center of the target , yes I know it was not that far away but I think it’s something I can be good at. But like you said, start off in the front foot with a little training !

I took the bow out today for the first time (its been far too hot) This pic is of the my first 6 I ever shot. Well, when I say never, I shot about 10 arrows when looking at bows. But in total this was my first 12 on my own. The distance was 20 yards.  If i did better or worse than should be expected please let me know because I'd like to gauge where I am vs other new folks to the sport. I was managing to pull back much easier as I had watched a few videos and things started to make sense. 

I do have a question one of the arrow heads got stuck inside the target, I had to cut the target slightly to get it out and what had happened is the sheath (i don't know what this part is called. So i'm calling it a sheath) inside the arrow that the head was screwed to seemed to have not been glued. Maybe an oversight at the bow store as I did not see any of the black residue I see him put on some of the other arrow sheaths. Can you advise if there is a specific type of glue I need to order so I can fix it back up inside the arrow?

Other than that, I really enjoyed myself and cant wait to get out again!

DSC03377.jpg

• Like 2

That's a good group. If that were 50 yards it would be an outstanding group. You are ready to hunt. See how easy that was?

11 hours ago, ShaggyRS6 said:

I do have a question one of the arrow heads got stuck inside the target, I had to cut the target slightly to get it out

Are you using broadheads or target arrows?

Show us a picture of the end of the arrow.

11 hours ago, ShaggyRS6 said:

what had happened is the sheath (i don't know what this part is called. So i'm calling it a sheath) inside the arrow that the head was screwed to seemed to have not been glued.

Maybe an oversight at the bow store as I did not see any of the black residue I see him put on some of the other arrow sheaths. Can you advise if there is a specific type of glue I need to order so I can fix it back up inside the arrow?

The insert the point was screwed into came out? Anywhere that sells archery supplies can fix you up with glue. It depends on the arrow/insert material and if you want to be able to ever remove it, some just use stuff like Gorilla glue.

• Like 1

Hi it’s was a target tip. So I did some reading and found I need long set time epoxy as this is less brittle when dry.

he must have forgot that one arrow because I remember him using this black tar like stuff, and there is no sign of that and when I feel inside the arrow with a pin it’s smooth.

Thanks for the advice . I’m gonna try 59 yard next time just for ####s and giggles !