Where to shoot a center file rifle

Macedad5

I have a Browning AB3 bolt action .306 and nowhere close to me will allow me to shoot. I live a little north of Memphis, off of 40. I will travel up to 50 miles to site it and shoot. MSSA is in my back door, but who want to pay $400 a year unless you are going to competition shoot. I may in the future, but I'm 45. I just want to shoot and teach my boys to shoot something other than a Ruger .22. Thoughts?

• Moderators

Make friends with private land in Fayette or Tipton counties is the best advice I can give you. Your options are that, join MSSA or being willing to drive more than 50 miles. The closure of the outdoor range in Shelby Farms was s huge blow to the shooting sports and education in the Memphis metro area. It killed access for the casual shooter. 

6 hours ago, Macedad5 said:

I have a Browning AB3 bolt action .306 and nowhere close to me will allow me to shoot. I live a little north of Memphis, off of 40. I will travel up to 50 miles to site it and shoot. MSSA is in my back door, but who want to pay $400 a year unless you are going to competition shoot. I may in the future, but I'm 45. I just want to shoot and teach my boys to shoot something other than a Ruger .22. Thoughts?

At 45, you still have plenty of good years to shoot competitively.  

Tennessee Sports Foundation (tnsportsfoundation.org) outside Jackson and Desoto Rifle and Pistol Club in Como, MS (destogunrange.com) are cheaper options, but probably still over 50 miles.  Natchez Trace State Park used to have a rifle range.  Definitely over 50 miles, but free.  

• Like 1