Navy Seal's Court Martial

5 minutes ago, E4 No More said:

I'm old and grumpy enough to be a Master Gunnery Sergeant by now!

There are many times that I wonder what my life would have been like had I stayed in. I probably would have stayed in if I didn't have a wife and three kids. I know I'd have been more likely to have gone through the program to become a mustang had I stayed in. My CO pushed me fairly hard for that but the Marine Corps life is much harder on spouses.

I did 4 years and was going to re-up when I got in a car wreck and decided to get out after 4. I could have retired at 37 and still retired from another job.

I should have stayed on the PD. I got fed up with it, but then realized after it was too late how good I had it.

1 minute ago, DaveTN said:

I did 4 years and was going to re-up when I got in a car wreck and decided to get out after 4. I could have retired at 37 and still retired from another job.

I should have stayed on the PD. I got fed up with it, but then realized after it was too late how good I had it.

Yeah, I hear of double and triple dippers too, meaning, retiring from the military young and then working one or two government jobs to retirement so that you get two or three times the retirement pay from Uncle Sam. I couldn't imagine working for the post office though. From things I've heard their management has their heads perpetually stuck up their butts.

21 hours ago, E4 No More said:

There are many times that I wonder what my life would have been like had I stayed in.

Same here, as I would be closing in on 19 years time in service if I'd had the fortitude to see it through.  I'm glad I served for the two terms I did, but I'm also glad I got out before I became institutionalized as it were.

37 minutes ago, btq96r said:

Same here, as I would be closing in on 19 years time in service if I'd had the fortitude to see it through.  I'm glad I served for the two terms I did, but I'm also glad I got out before I became institutionalized as it were.

If I'd gone the mustang route I would have hoped to at least retired as a full-bird Colonel. When I was in they were slowing down on the Master Gunnery Sergeant and Warrant Officer ranks quite a bit. So much so that I knew of several Master Sergeants who put in for, and received, re-designation to First Sergeant so that they could advance to Sergeant Major.

A jury found decorated Navy SEAL Edward "Eddie" Gallagher not guilty Tuesday on almost all charges he was facing, including murder and attempted murder, in the killing of a teenage Islamic State member in Iraq.

Jurors did find him guilty of the seventh charge, posing for a photo with a casualty, considered the least egregious of the crimes, which carries a maximum prison sentence of four months.

"We have a sentencing to do, but the maximum sentence of what they’re about to sentence him on is much less than the time that they’ve already had him in the brig," defense attorney Tim Parlatore said after Tuesday's verdict. "So he is going home."

https://www.foxnews.com/us/navy-seal-edward-gallagher-found-not-guilty-on-murder-and-attempted-murder-charges

• Like 1

I am not a SEAL, never been a SEAL and never went to BUDS. I did work with the West Coast teams a lot during my three years as a SERE Instructor. All I can say is there is something very strange going on in the SpecOps world these days. Why was this Senior Chief railroaded?  Why did SEAL's kill the Green Beret a few years ago? There is a lot that just doesn't add up these days.

10 hours ago, buck1032 said:

I am not a SEAL, never been a SEAL and never went to BUDS. I did work with the West Coast teams a lot during my three years as a SERE Instructor. All I can say is there is something very strange going on in the SpecOps world these days. Why was this Senior Chief railroaded?  Why did SEAL's kill the Green Beret a few years ago? There is a lot that just doesn't add up these days.

Absolutely. As I said earlier, this whole “Junior members” BS makes no sense. I guess things have changed a lot.

They got him on something as we all suspected they would. Now they can kick him out and forget about this.

Gallagher, who heroically risked his life and served his country for 20 years in the Navy, should never have been charged. He spent nine months in prison awaiting his trial and was treated disgracefully by the Navy he so loyally served.

https://www.foxnews.com/opinion/don-brown-not-guilty-verdict-for-navy-seal-gallagher-is-welcome-news-he-shouldnt-have-been-prosecuted

The decision to charge Gallagher was inexcusable. He should never have been charged with the killing of a mortal enemy of the United States who was a member of ISIS, one of the most radical and deadly jihadist groups on the planet.

ISIS fighters have committed the most gruesome and atrocious acts imaginable – public beheadings, burning people to death in cages, slicing little boys in half, mass terror against Christians and more.

Yet prosecuting our courageous warriors is a recurring anti-American theme that infected the military justice system around 2012 and hasn’t stopped.

• Like 1
4 hours ago, DaveTN said:

Absolutely. As I said earlier, this whole “Junior members” BS makes no sense. I guess things have changed a lot.

They got him on something as we all suspected they would. Now they can kick him out and forget about this.

I don't think the charge of taking a picture over a dead enemy will warrant getting kicked out. I doubt he'd even see a reduction in grade - particularly with the publicity of his whole ordeal: however, I seem to recall something saying that he was retiring and the charges delayed him being able to retire.

6 hours ago, DaveTN said:

Well, I was wrong about the rank reduction. They knocked him down to an E-6. Seems harsh when he served 9 months for a 4 month sentence.

54 minutes ago, E4 No More said:

Well, I was wrong about the rank reduction. They knocked him down to an E-6. Seems harsh when he served 9 months for a 4 month sentence.

If he is allowed to retire that won't affect his pay, they calculate your highest 3 years of rank. 

• Like 1