Fishing in the Gulf

Did a little inshore fishing yesterday.  We were planning on running into the gulf and looking for some big red snapper but it was just too rough.  So we stayed inshore and fished for redfish.  It took us a little while but wee finally found some reds.  The first pic and my sons reds were 34-35 inches and probably 15-20lbs.  The last two pics the reds were 45+ and over 30 lbs.  

0t-Pz-Cim-Sb-Scnt6-Zkxwr-FA.jpg

110elx-Tz-Re6-HQr-PHCAfk-NA.jpg

9b-MZHL-i-Rhy3k-F7o-Yt6m-JA.jpg

FKZW3jj8-RXebhkl-T1z-Ruz-A.jpg

YHn7-Lfw-JSbyi6v-Uu-Bv-I7-A.jpg

• Like 3
26 minutes ago, KahrMan said:

Yes but you have to release anything over 28" so we didn't get to keep any of these.

That seems counter-intuitive. Usually you have to let the small fish go. I hate fish but I used to love to catch and release.

1 hour ago, E4 No More said:

That seems counter-intuitive. Usually you have to let the small fish go. I hate fish but I used to love to catch and release.

What I was told was that it takes a while for  red to get the age that it can reproduce.  They you let keep the little ones that can't reproduce yet and protect the older larger ones that can.

I recently went on a 10 hour charter out of Southwest, FL.  While I'm down for catching just about any kind of fish at anytime, that will probably be the last charter on my dime.  We got into some big Goliath grouper, but only managed to get one 250 pounder to the boat.  Had a bunch of break offs that I blame on the tackle.  Caught some red snapper that we took home that came out to about $200/pound.  Honestly had more fun catching sharks and the Bonita that we cut up for bait than anything else.  The seasons and size restrictions have made it to where you aren't going to be keeping much of anything.  I'm at a point in life where I can manage to do some things that I've been wanting to do for a long time, and the money that is required for offshore fishing can go a long way towards other things. 

33 minutes ago, deerslayer said:

Where did you fish from?  Seems like years ago, the rules/laws/seasons got a lot more restrictive, at least around Destin/Orange Beach.  

We were fishing out of Destin. 

• Admin Team
10 hours ago, deerslayer said:

Where did you fish from?  Seems like years ago, the rules/laws/seasons got a lot more restrictive, at least around Destin/Orange Beach.  

Seasons and limits have gotten a lot more restrictive in the last 20 years. And, while there is a bit of dissonance between recreational and commercial regulations, overall those limits are a good thing.  

We’re catching more, bigger fish all around. Yes, we put many back so they can grow, but my freezer is full of better fish.  

We regularly catch redfish that are way over the upper limit on the slot -  34-35” fish aren’t uncommon. You didn’t see that 20 years ago.  The fish we *maybe* caught then were well below the now 18” low end of the slot limit. 

I get it that it’s frustrating to not be able to keep that red snapper when it doesn’t line up with the week you’ve got for your vacation - but, we’re definitely better for the limits and good fishery management.  

• Like 2

Getting ready to head down there and do some fishing myself. Always on the beach by 5:30 AM with some meat soaking about 60 yards out on the big pole and throwing spoons while I watch it. Prob won’t charter this year but a friend is bringing his boat to do some inshore.

Edited by Fourtyfive
  • Like 1
  • Admin Team

Pompano have been good recently.  Spanish Mackrel have been hitting fast lures off the beach, too.  

I’ve switched almost entirely to Yo-Zuri 3D  Inshore lures.  I like that they’re a little heavier, so they cast longer in the wind, and they seem to last about three times as long as an equivalent Rapala.

This one is my secret weapon:  

https://www.amazon.com/Yo-Zuri-Inshore-Twitchbait-Sinking-Crankbait/dp/B079ZBQYJ4?th=1&psc=1

It’ll catch everything in the Gulf. It’s good for reds, and pompano, and Spanish Mackerel.  It’s also good for my kids’ preference - the trash can grand slam - consisting of a whiting, a ladyfish, and a bluefish all caught in the same day. 

• Like 1
5 hours ago, Fourtyfive said:

Getting ready to head down there and do some fishing myself. Always on the beach by 5:30 AM with some meat soaking about 60 yards out on the big pole and throwing spoons while I watch it. Prob won’t charter this year but a friend is bringing his boat to do some inshore.

Be careful. A guy from TN drowned at Henderson state park in Destin yesterday. 

• Admin Team
45 minutes ago, KahrMan said:

Be careful. A guy from TN drowned at Henderson state park in Destin yesterday. 

When the red flags are flying - people need to take it seriously.  We’ve pulled way too many people out of the water over the years.  

Two drowned on Priest on Friday.  One swimming at Smith Springs, and another who didn’t surface jumping off the cliffs at Long Hunter.  I’m kind of surprised they haven’t dynamited those things. 

5 hours ago, MacGyver said:

Pompano have been good recently.  Spanish Mackrel have been hitting fast lures off the beach, too.  

I’ve switched almost entirely to Yo-Zuri 3D  Inshore lures.  I like that they’re a little heavier, so they cast longer in the wind, and they seem to last about three times as long as an equivalent Rapala.

This one is my secret weapon:  

https://www.amazon.com/Yo-Zuri-Inshore-Twitchbait-Sinking-Crankbait/dp/B079ZBQYJ4?th=1&psc=1

It’ll catch everything in the Gulf. It’s good for reds, and pompano, and Spanish Mackerel.  It’s also good for my kids’ preference - the trash can grand slam - consisting of a whiting, a ladyfish, and a bluefish all caught in the same day. 

Which size and color works best of those?

• Admin Team
3 hours ago, Fourtyfive said:

Which size and color works best of those?

My go to is the mullet pattern.  Followed by the red head and peanut bunker.  But, I think I’ve fished every one of them with success in the Gulf.

They make an inshore topwater popper that is loads of fun, too.  I think it weighs in at 7/8 ounce, so it’ll cast a mile.

Kind of like your kastmasters, anything with some silver flash is great.  I love a blue/silver combo like the mullet pattern.  

I’ve taken to fishing those lures on an 8-foot fast, medium weight rod.  My surf gear used to be way over rigged - but of late, I’ve been going the other way.  A ladyfish on a lightweight rod feels like you’ve hooked into a tarpon.  

• Like 1
22 hours ago, MacGyver said:

My go to is the mullet pattern.  Followed by the red head and peanut bunker.  But, I think I’ve fished every one of them with success in the Gulf.

They make an inshore topwater popper that is loads of fun, too.  I think it weighs in at 7/8 ounce, so it’ll cast a mile.

Kind of like your kastmasters, anything with some silver flash is great.  I love a blue/silver combo like the mullet pattern.  

I’ve taken to fishing those lures on an 8-foot fast, medium weight rod.  My surf gear used to be way over rigged - but of late, I’ve been going the other way.  A ladyfish on a lightweight rod feels like you’ve hooked into a tarpon.  

The Ladyfish are a good fight, they tend to throw anything heavy out of their mouth fighting. The bubble straw rigs work best on them because the hook and rubber piece really present little mass to toss.

• Admin Team
48 minutes ago, Fourtyfive said:

The Ladyfish are a good fight, they tend to throw anything heavy out of their mouth fighting. The bubble straw rigs work best on them because the hook and rubber piece really present little mass to toss.

You know, in all my years of fishing, I’ve not ever used a bubble rig.  I need to pick one up and give it a whirl.  

• Like 1